Ryan Poehling

REV-G

Is anyone surprised that Ryan Poehling hasn't made it into the lineup yet?  

Jake Evans, a 7th round pick is in and playing. Alex Belzile, who I think was undrafted and played for a few AHL teams, had made it onto the 4th line in the playoffs. 

But Poehling, a first round pick hasn't played a game.

Is there a problem? Just wondering, kinda surprised that a big body like his isn't needed against Philly.  

I'm a little surprised he hasn't had a chance (I thought a fourth line, big body presence in Weise's spot was a role for him, especially against Pittsburgh) but I'm not surprised Evans and Belzile are in ahead of Poehling.  Evans was a lot better than he was in Laval and Belzile was Laval's top player before getting injured and I've been on record for a while saying he would have been a regular for the Habs in the second half had it not been for the injury.

It's hard to see a path for him into the lineup unless there are some injuries.  Weise looks to be the 13th forward at the moment (or 12b even) and I'm sure Weal is 14th. 

I don't think this is a big problem either.  It's his first professional season and there were a lot of rough patches along the way.  If Poehling was to be in, it'd be in a very limited role and right now, Evans and Belzile are better suited to try to do more with that low ice time.

• Upvote 1

Not really surprised.  He didn't have a very good season in Laval or when he was playing in Montreal.  I'm not overly concerned though.  Not all 1st rounders can jump into the NHL immediately, nor should they.  Some need time to develop.

2 points in 27 games.

Even Weise generates more than that.

Non merci.

Poehling always projected to be a bottom-6 guy, and if it weren't for that bizarre hat trick in his first game two years ago, I doubt most of us would be giving him much thought. This is not to say he won't carve out a meaningful NHL career, but rather to say that there is no reason at all to think his hour is nigh.

Evans is 24

Poehling is 21

There is the difference.  

Evans is just further along in his development and is ready to play a role in the NHL.  Poehling may have been drafted higher, but he hasn't had the same development time (he skipped JrA hockey to go to college early, still spent less time in College than Evans, has one less year of pro experience).  It all matters.  In time, Poehling will get there, but his one year of pro shows he needs more development. 

2 hours ago, REV-G said:

Is anyone surprised that Ryan Poehling hasn't made it into the lineup yet? 

No surprise and still have zero issue with him watching playoffs and practising with team, until injury(s) maybe opens a spot.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Evans is 24

Poehling is 21

There is the difference.  

Evans is just further along in his development and is ready to play a role in the NHL.  Poehling may have been drafted higher, but he hasn't had the same development time (he skipped JrA hockey to go to college early, still spent less time in College than Evans, has one less year of pro experience).  It all matters.  In time, Poehling will get there, but his one year of pro shows he needs more development. 

Totally agree ... think the biggest question mark is in what role ... 

I think he needs a game though for sure... To see what he's got, where is he at today? If most of the kids took a step forward during the lockdown who says he hasn't? I get CJ being hesitant  to start 3 x  20 year olds at C but Suzuki ain't no rookie!

Hes already got the size to play and is bigger then both KK and Suzuki.

We won't know where hes at until he gets In

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I think he needs a game though for sure... To see what he's got, where is he at today? If most of the kids took a step forward during the lockdown who says he hasn't? I get CJ being hesitant  to start 3 x  20 year olds at C but Suzuki ain't no rookie!

Nope.

The Habs are in win-now mode, it is not training camp. Poehling can show where he is in December.

All great points and they all make perfect sense. 

2 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

He's got to impress them in practice to get games.  If they aren't putting him in, after cycling through Weal, Evans, Weise, and Belzile on the fourth line, that tells me that he isn't impressing in practice. 

Right from the start of camp, before any exhibition games were played, Claude Julien was gushing about how big of an improvement KK had made and immediately moved him up the lineup. 

The coaches aren't stupid, if they aren't seeing it in practice, then he isn't there yet. 

24 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He's got to impress them in practice to get games.  If they aren't putting him in, after cycling through Weal, Evans, Weise, and Belzile on the fourth line, that tells me that he isn't impressing in practice. 

Right from the start of camp, before any exhibition games were played, Claude Julien was gushing about how big of an improvement KK had made and immediately moved him up the lineup. 

The coaches aren't stupid, if they aren't seeing it in practice, then he isn't there yet. 

Agreed... however any notion that CJ had a 4th line on merit is out the window with constant dressing of Weise...

1 minute ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Agreed... however any notion that CJ had a 4th line on merit is out the window with constant dressing of Weise...

Weise IMO is all about safety. A safe player that won't cause you grief but he won't help score either.

Evans is a smart player that won't hurt us defensively but can also add up front. I like the kid

3 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Weise IMO is all about safety. A safe player that won't cause you grief but he won't help score either.

Evans is a smart player that won't hurt us defensively but can also add up front. I like the kid

I like Evans to... he was a clutch performer for Notre Dame as well. Still would like to see Poehling get a game in b4 these ayoffs are over... kid has an opportunity to get a taste for playoff blood... Its not like he's an 18year old...

Anyways... 

Its game time

29 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

We don’t know that, it may show on the contrary that the kids didn’t outwork Weise in practice 

8 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

We don’t know that, it may show on the contrary that the kids didn’t outwork Weise in practice 

I think It's pretty safe to assume not a lot of players outwork Weise.

We can question talent level, but there's no questioning how much he loves playing for Montreal.

• Like 1

“Nope.

The Habs are in win-now mode, it is not training camp. Poehling can show where he is in December.“

Agreed 100% and also with comments that he would have had a chance by now if he had really impressed in practices.

This is win time, not development camp.

we have a lot of young players getting great playoff experience, so it’s not like we aren’t developing.

Love Poehling, but he’s not ready and playing minimal minutes and probably underperforming due to rust, intensity of playoff hockey is not setting him up for success. It’s not in the team’s best interests, nor his.

As far as Weiss goes, I’m happier seeing him as an extra but it’s not like he’s been given anything.  He’s earned his shot, hasn’t done much with it and the team appears to have moved on. That is how it is supposed to go, he’s not coaches darling who is getting coddled, he is known to be low maintenance, hard worker who has shown he digs deep for the Habs when it counts.  They probably hoped to milk the last of that, the well seems to have dried though.  He barely plays when he is dressed so not like coaches are favouring him.  They’ve moved on, crazy how much time and typing has gone into a fourth liner who plays less than 10 min per game, and whom we all loved years ago when he was a playoff beast.

Poehling has been made

Redundant with the emergence of KK and Kawasaki.   Danault plus them equal top three C.  Poehling will have more value on market than he does as a 4th liner, maybe he ends up on wing I suppose.

Poehling would be a good piece of a package trade, probably also involving taking on a bad contract as well.  That’s a random thought off top of head without thinking through though.

Philly ain’t no thang, we got this in 6.

Go Habs Go!!!!

Edited by hockeyrealist
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hockeyrealist said:

“Nope.

The Habs are in win-now mode, it is not training camp. Poehling can show where he is in December.“

Agreed 100% and also with comments that he would have had a chance by now if he had really impressed in practices.

This is win time, not development camp.

we have a lot of young players getting great playoff experience, so it’s not like we aren’t developing.

Love Poehling, but he’s not ready and playing minimal minutes and probably underperforming due to rust, intensity of playoff hockey is not setting him up for success. It’s not in the team’s best interests, nor his.

As far as Weiss goes, I’m happier seeing him as an extra but it’s not like he’s been given anything.  He’s earned his shot, hasn’t done much with it and the team appears to have moved on. That is how it is supposed to go, he’s not coaches darling who is getting coddled, he is known to be low maintenance, hard worker who has shown he digs deep for the Habs when it counts.  They probably hoped to milk the last of that, the well seems to have dried though.  He barely plays when he is dressed so not like coaches are favouring him.  They’ve moved on, crazy how much time and typing has gone into a fourth liner who plays less than 10 min per game, and whom we all loved years ago when he was a playoff beast.

Poehling has been made

Redundant with the emergence of KK and Kawasaki.   Danault plus them equal top three C.  Poehling will have more value on market than he does as a 4th liner, maybe he ends up on wing I suppose.

Poehling would be a good piece of a package trade, probably also involving taking on a bad contract as well.  That’s a random thought off top of head without thinking through though.

Philly ain’t no thang, we got this in 6.

Go Habs Go!!!!

I think it’s WAY to early to say Poehling has been made redundant. It’s one think to say that he’s not ready, but it’s ridiculous to says he’s made redundant on a team that will never be mistaken for the 70’s habs or 80’s oilers.

He’s a big guy who should some skill at his last WJC’s and his first NHL game. Is that who is? Doubt it, but we don’t know what we have. He could be be a John Leclair or Blake Wheeler, or he could turn out to be Rocky Trottier, Pateic Stefan, Rico Fata, Terry Ryan, or heaven forbid McCarron.

point is we don’t know yet and I wouldn’t want to be moving him until we have a better idea what we have. Would I like to see him in this series? Sure. But only if he is taking Weise or Belzile’s spot.

Lastly... Kawasaki - Suziki.  Really????

48 minutes ago, DON said:

Honda, Godzilla, Samurai, Sumo, Kamikaze be better?

Don’t know about you, but I don’t think it’s right to throw another Japanese name at Suzuki.  Yeah I get it , Suzuki and Kawasaki are boy motor cycle makers, but we’re not taking about a nickname here.

14 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

14 hours ago, Trizzak said:

I think It's pretty safe to assume not a lot of players outwork Weise.

We can question talent level, but there's no questioning how much he loves playing for Montreal.

15 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

If you watched all the qualifiers as well as these last 3 games you would of noticed Evans looking hand over fist better then Weise in all aspects of the game as an example. Was Weise in the linep because he merited that spot over Evans and Poehling or was it more safe from fear of the unknown? We all know the answer to that as Julien is a very conservative coach. Sometimes to conservative as evidenced by making those safe choices most of the time.

DONT get me wrong, I understand the reasoning when your already starting 2 kids at C in your top 9. Just like I get the reasoning to not exposing 2 playoff rookies on the bottom pair of defense in Fleury n Mete. BUT Suzuki and KK are passing these tests with flying colors So far... KK  I though was our best player last night and Suzuki as been a phenom with his 200 ft game.

It's time to take some more tests! Poehling or Fleury is next...

This is not 80's 90's hockey anymore. The NHL is now  a young man's game. They have taken over the league with speed and skill.

Spare me the assumptions/ presumptions on PoehIing, cause thats all it is, an assumption. None of us know anything about what Poehling can bring in a game "today" until he's given minutes in an actual game. Not even Julien or Muller. If KK, Suzuki and Mete can look this good 6 months later why can't Fleury and Juulsen and Poehling.

And I would go as far as saying if infact we are in "win now mode" in these playoffs...  then NOT taking a chance on what a Poehling and Fleury can contribute because of fear of the unknown, well relying on the "safe" bet of a Ouelett, Weise,Weal (Belzile) regardless of the outcome is the very definition of packing it in. 

Especially with the feel good story development of KK and Suzuki. 

Young and Hungry...  No risk No reward

A guy with 2 points in 27 games has shown he is not ready. Now, had he come back from the Covid interregnum markedly improved, he surely would have received serious consideration for a roster spot - as did KK, thrown into a major role deite a disastrous season because he looked so great from day one of camp.Julien gave ice to Evans and Bezile too. 

Poehling has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to warrant a roster spot, Zero, zilch, nada. Therefore he should not have a roster spot. This has nothing to do with CJ being stodgy and everything to do with Poehling being a complete crap NHLer at this stage of his career. The end.

3 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

... Redundant with the emergence of KK and Kawasaki.  

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

... Lastly... Kawasaki - Suziki.  Really????

Agreed

1 hour ago, DON said:

Honda, Godzilla, Samurai, Sumo, Kamikaze be better?

No ... but I think you were being tongue-in-cheek. 

36 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Don’t know about you, but I don’t think it’s right to throw another Japanese name at Suzuki.  Yeah I get it , Suzuki and Kawasaki are boy motor cycle makers, but we’re not taking about a nickname here.

I agree ... Nick is fifth generation Canadian and one quarter Japanese by heritage ... but nature abhors a vacuum ... and fans have yet to settle on a nickname (undoubtedly Habs use something "original" like Suuks)