Ryan Poehling

REV-G

42 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

So now Poehling is the next Gretzky, but only if we play him this week or ruin him?! 

who would have thought 🤪 

lol, I didnt compare him to Gretzky.  I mentioned Gretzky because there is a solid argument that he didnt play a full rounded game.  If he was rookie today that would not be a reason to say he needed AHL, it would be an excuse and incredibly dumb to do.  The point is that argument can be used against almost any player and that decision is often done over politics and isnt hockey related. 

Numerous players have definitely been ruined by trying to change what they are good at vs allowing them to get better at what they are good at.  Look at Domi, he cant play on the 4th line of the 12th place team; conclusion: he needs AHL time.  I'm teasing but making a point that Poehling like Domi would probably do better with better linemates. 

I find it funny because when was the last time the Habs had a C that won MVP C of the WJ?  I dont know the answer, I'd guess Lafleur.  It has been so long since a Habs won that it seems weird to me that some are quick to dismiss it but I am still hopeful that he was a sleeper pick that should have went in the top 10. 

6 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

lol, I didnt compare him to Gretzky.  I mentioned Gretzky because there is a solid argument that he didnt play a full rounded game.  If he was rookie today that would not be a reason to say he needed AHL, it would be an excuse and incredibly dumb to do.  The point is that argument can be used against almost any player and that decision is often done over politics and isnt hockey related. 

Numerous players have definitely been ruined by trying to change what they are good at vs allowing them to get better at what they are good at.  Look at Domi, he cant play on the 4th line of the 12th place team; conclusion: he needs AHL time.  I'm teasing but making a point that Poehling like Domi would probably do better with better linemates. 

I find it funny because when was the last time the Habs had a C that won MVP C of the WJ?  I dont know the answer, I'd guess Lafleur.  It has been so long since a Habs won that it seems weird to me that some are quick to dismiss it but I am still hopeful that he was a sleeper pick that should have went in the top 10. 

I am no expert on player

evaluation

the reason my avatar is mr. potato head is because often I am so off on my trade proposals and player evaluations that they could very well come from that flaky head

that being said, pushing to correct any possible mistakes on Poehling’s development by playing him in an elimination game with the team’s soul clobbered out of contention... well, it seems like the wrong time for that

Edited by alfredoh2009

Its a two week tournament.  There have been plenty of players who were excellent in that two week tournament and did nothing at the NHL level, see Justin Pogge who was also a tournament MVP. 

Its all about big sample sizes, not little ones... the fact is that over large sample sizes Poehling doesn't project as a thirty goal guy.  That is why every site with prospect reviews projects him as a 2nd/3rd line, 2-way centre.  Thats been his scouting report since before he was drafted and remains the report now.  1 tournament doesn't change that, when he failed to take the same momentum into NCAA hockey, or the NHL/AHL. 

24 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Its a two week tournament.  There have been plenty of players who were excellent in that two week tournament and did nothing at the NHL level, see Justin Pogge who was also a tournament MVP. 

Its all about big sample sizes, not little ones... the fact is that over large sample sizes Poehling doesn't project as a thirty goal guy.  That is why every site with prospect reviews projects him as a 2nd/3rd line, 2-way centre.  Thats been his scouting report since before he was drafted and remains the report now.  1 tournament doesn't change that, when he failed to take the same momentum into NCAA hockey, or the NHL/AHL. 

Might even see a few of those more reactionary sites change his projection to a firm 3rd line center. 

41 minutes ago, Commandant said:

And yakapov was projected to be an elite first line winger.  Nichushkin “a top-three talent” in a class that included Nathan MacKinnon, Aleksander Barkov and Seth Jones. Nichushkin “a top-three talent” in a class that included Nathan MacKinnon, Aleksander Barkov and Seth Jones. Ended up being the 10th pick and probably isn’t even in the top 25 picked that year. zacha was supposed to be a top liner picked just out of the top 5 and is nothing more than a bottom liner. Jamie Benn our up more points in the NHL than he ever did in junior. Pavelski also scored a higher rate in the NHL than college.

Projections are not always accurate.like I said earlier I think Poehling should have spent more time in the AHL right from the start of the season and The focus should have been on letting him grow his offensive game there.  If there was going to be an AHL season, I’d want him to start there.  Given the unusual situation we are in - compounded with the loss of Gallagher, I’d rather roll the dice with him than our other options and wouldn’t play Weise unless every other player was I injured and would even play Fleury as a forward before wasting a spot on Weise.  Weise is a trying not to lose play.

There’s no reason to “roll the dice” with Poehling. If he has been impressing in practice, sure, throw him in. It seems there are other options higher on the depth chart and that’s simply where he stands.

The most common reason I’ve seen for people wanting to play Poehling in this next game is essentially “because they have a feeling about him”. No one has come out and directly said that, but it’s what it boils down to. That’s not a good enough reason to place him in the lineup for an elimination game. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t think he’s ready and I think he should have been in the AHL longer this year.  Having said that, there may not be an AHL this coming year, which is why I’ve wanted him in the line lineup instead of wasting a spot on Weise.  Evans is clearly ahead of him in his development.  But I’d use the players in the following order, Evans, Poehling, Belzile, Weal and if there is no one else available, I may even put Fleury in as a forward before Weise.  With Gallagher out, Poehling should be in the lineup.  Upside is much greater than the other three and let’s face it, with Gallagher out, I think I’d rather have someone that has the POTENTIAL to step up and help us win by scoring, than go with the guy I think is going to hurt us the least to try and avoid getting scored against.

Jordan Weal had 8 goals in 49 games this year. Poehling had 1 goal in 27 games. I know who I’d trust more to put the puck in the net between those two. That’s not to mention that Weal is also a right hander like Gallagher. 

2 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

There’s no reason to “roll the dice” with Poehling. If he has been impressing in practice, sure, throw him in. It seems there are other options higher on the depth chart and that’s simply where he stands.

The most common reason I’ve seen for people wanting to play Poehling in this next game is essentially “because they have a feeling about him”. No one has come out and directly said that, but it’s what it boils down to. That’s not a good enough reason to place him in the lineup for an elimination game. 

I’m not saying to play him

because I have feeling about him. I’m saying to play him, because he has shown at lower levels he actually has the skill to score big goals.  Flukey or not, he did score 3 in his first game. He’s got speed and size; which the habs could use. 
Weal is a journeyman and fringe NHLer and that’s all he will ever be. Theough 7 seasons the most he’s scored is 8 goals twice.  Over that time he’s played 3 playoff games and has done squat.   I’d rather roll the dice on Poehling than a guy who is once in a blue moon scorer in 8 years in the league and has done squat in the playoff games he’s played in. Kinda like Weise who did squat - unless you count the penalties he took in the five games he played in.

If we still lose, with Weal we gain nothing. With Poehling, he at least gets an elimination game under his belt preceding the next season where there may not be an AHL for him to play in.  

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If we still lose, with Weal we gain nothing. 

Cept most dont look at it that way and more important, the coaching staff see it as having best chance to win to not dress the kid...yet.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Cept most dont look at it that way and more important, the coaching staff see it as having best chance to win to not dress the kid...yet.

Agree ... from the coaches perspective I think it is TONIGHT versus the LONG-TERM thinking ... can't blame Kirk ... this may be his shot at a HC job elsewhere next season.

11 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Jordan Weal had 8 goals in 49 games this year. Poehling had 1 goal in 27 games. I know who I’d trust more to put the puck in the net between those two. That’s not to mention that Weal is also a right hander like Gallagher. 

That is true but that doesnt really mean much.  Put Domi on the 4th line for 27 games and see how few goals he gets.   Domi wouldnt excel in the role and it would not be due to Domi lacking skills or talent, it would be because the lack of skills and compatibility with his linemates. 

Does anybody else understand why the Habs even have Weal?  It's because when he was called up with Philly in 2016-2017 he had a magical month and almost got player of the month.  (look at his stats from that year)  Weal got those points in 1 month, and that was but once, yet they're are hopeful he can recreate that success.    

Team USA made Peohling their #1 centre, and they developed him for years and knew what he is capable of or they would not have picked him to be their #1 C.  It can't be argued that Team USA made a bad decision considering he won the MVP C of that tourney.  If Poehling is just a 4th line guy what does that say about all the other centres on every other team in that tourney?  There is just something about that which doesnt make any sense. 

4 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

That is true but that doesnt really mean much.  Put Domi on the 4th line for 27 games and see how few goals he gets.   Domi wouldnt excel in the role and it would not be due to Domi lacking skills or talent, it would be because the lack of skills and compatibility with his linemates. 

Does anybody else understand why the Habs even have Weal?  It's because when he was called up with Philly in 2016-2017 he had a magical month and almost got player of the month.  (look at his stats from that year)  Weal got those points in 1 month, and that was but once, yet they're are hopeful he can recreate that success.    

Team USA made Peohling their #1 centre, and they developed him for years and knew what he is capable of or they would not have picked him to be their #1 C.  It can't be argued that Team USA made a bad decision considering he won the MVP C of that tourney.  If Poehling is just a 4th line guy what does that say about all the other centres on every other team in that tourney?  There is just something about that which doesnt make any sense. 

Team Canada made Justin Pogge their number 1 goalie, and cut Carey Price from the 2006 team.  You can't say it was a bad decision cause he won MVP of that tourney. 

I guess that means Pogge is better than Price.

The two week tournament don't mean shit compared to 3 years of college hockey and a full year of NHL/AHL.  You just complained about Weal only having one good month, but you are looking at Poehling who was good for 2 weeks... it wasn't even a month. 

On 8/21/2020 at 7:40 PM, Commandant said:

Team Canada made Justin Pogge their number 1 goalie, and cut Carey Price from the 2006 team.  You can't say it was a bad decision cause he won MVP of that tourney. 

I guess that means Pogge is better than Price.

The two week tournament don't mean shit compared to 3 years of college hockey and a full year of NHL/AHL.  You just complained about Weal only having one good month, but you are looking at Poehling who was good for 2 weeks... it wasn't even a month. 

agree totally... but surely you can agree after watching Weise after games 1 and 2 vs Pitt, you had seen enough and a flyer on Poehling would be a better bet then that of Weise.

One has to wonder if Poehling was taught a lesson by sitting the playoffs after his crybaby attitude after being sent to Laval...

2 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

agree totally... but surely you can agree after watching Weise after games 1 and 2 vs Pitt, you had seen enough and a flyer on Poehling would be a better bet then that of Weise.

One has to wonder if Poehling was taught a lesson by sitting the playoffs after his crybaby attitude after being sent to Laval...

Since habs were trying to win ... likely speaks volumes about how little Poehling did to impress coaches last season and in how he prepared himself this summer and in practice from play-in TC onwards ... which is not encouraging ... hopefully he is "perturbed"/embarrassed about not playing and shows up at TC ready for bear

18 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Weise was pulled and Evans was put in.  Evans did not look out of place at all.  He played well and I think he is ready to start the season in the NHL next year. 

Weise will probably be in Switzerland. 

Guys like Belzille and Hudon were also ahead of Poehling.  Belzille will fight for a 13th forward spot.  Hudon is likely headed to Europe. 

Poehling?  I think he's AHL bound, unless he goes and pulls a Kotkaniemi over the break and shows up in training camp much improved.  Otherwise, a year with Joel Bouchard is just what the doctor ordered IMO. 

Evans should of been centering the 4th line from the start...

My point is everyone was a better option then Weise. And I don't believe talent was what kept Poehling out of the line up in this post season. Maturity/ attitude/ health maybe? But not talent.

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Weise was pulled and Evans was put in.  Evans did not look out of place at all.  He played well and I think he is ready to start the season in the NHL next year. 

Weise will probably be in Switzerland. 

Guys like Belzille and Hudon were also ahead of Poehling.  Belzille will fight for a 13th forward spot.  Hudon is likely headed to Europe. 

Poehling?  I think he's AHL bound, unless he goes and pulls a Kotkaniemi over the break and shows up in training camp much improved.  Otherwise, a year with Joel Bouchard is just what the doctor ordered IMO. 

Agree ... ideally start in Laval and play him to death in all situations ... make him Joel's project for 20/21... Hockey30 (the National Inquirer/Globe of hockey websites) has long been pushing that Poehling has a Fortnite "problem" ... hopefully they live down to their reputation for accuracy

• 2 months later...

Poehling was quoted in an Athletic article about Rob Ramage and player development, asked about being in the bubble during the playoffs:

it would have been nice to play, but it just made me hungry. It made me hungry. I want to be on the ice with the Canadiens next year.

Hunger, that's a good thing. Maybe it really was a good thing to invite Poehling into the bubble, even though he did not get into a game.

All I know is that if you’re Ryan Poehling, or a Habs fan, the hat trick+ game can’t be the highlight of his career as a Habs player. How anti-climatic that would be.

On a separate but related note, I have him starting on the 4th line with the Habs. We’ll see how Evans does in camp.

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I have him starting on the 4th line with the Habs.

Why would you? You know is highly unlikely.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Hunger, that's a good thing. Maybe it really was a good thing to invite Poehling into the bubble, even though he did not get into a game.

:devil: Talk is cheap, Ramage is obviously biased and simply couldnt say anything negative.

10 minutes ago, DON said:

:devil: Talk is cheap, Ramage is obviously biased and simply couldnt say anything negative.

I don't think so much bias as optimism about "his" prospects.

Still, the words he used about each one were telling. He didn't talk up Poehling's skills, but he did bring up his desire to play. It doesn't make Poehling's skills any better, but maybe the desire to play is now burning more brightly?

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I don't think so much bias as optimism about "his" prospects. Semantics.

Still, the words he used about each one were telling. He didn't talk up Poehling's skills, but he did bring up his desire to play. It doesn't make Poehling's skills any better, but maybe the desire to play is now burning more brightly? Galchenyuk just said exact same thing yesterday about joining Sens, does that make anyone think he will have break out year there...

In the past we all have heard so much hype about how hard some prospects train in off-season, post themselves videoed working out and just doesn't translate into success on the ice.

Whereas a Gallagher was no hype or brass statements, he just worked his bag off every shift, as he had in junior.

But, do hope AHL is a go this year, otherwise Poehling should likely be in Europe playing now.

Still, the words he used about each one were telling. He didn't talk up Poehling's skills, but he did bring up his desire to play. It doesn't make Poehling's skills any better, but maybe the desire to play is now burning more brightly? Galchenyuk just said exact same thing yesterday about joining Sens, does that make anyone think he will have break out year there...

Only reason I am hopeful is this is the first time Poehling has had a disappointing year and then "said the right thing" ... Galchenyuk has an album coming out

4 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

... I have him starting on the 4th line with the Habs. We’ll see how Evans does in camp.

I would reverse that ... I think Evans has earned the right to be the presumptive 4th line centre (if a vet isn't signed) ... it is Poehling who I will wait to see how how does in camp

1 hour ago, DON said:

In the past we all have heard so much hype about how hard some prospects train in off-season, post themselves videoed working out and just doesn't translate into success on the ice.

Whereas a Gallagher was no hype or brass statements, he just worked his bag off every shift, as he had in junior.

But, do hope AHL is a go this year, otherwise Poehling should likely be in Europe playing now.

No one is comparing him to Gallagher. But I believe he needed an attitude adjustment, and maybe sitting in the press box in the bubble gave him some extra motivation. Maybe.

Poehling would not have an easy time finding a spot playing in Europe as all the teams have import quotas. Ylonen, Leskinen and Kotkaniemi had no troubles as they don't take up import slots.