Trader GM Challenge!

dlbalr

To get something going around here, I propose a GM challenge.

All participants are to create their own "ideal" Hab roster by trading/buying out the players on the current roster. You can also sign unrestricted free agents or bring in a draft pick to the roster, but these contracts must be 1 year deals for UFA's ONLY (because of the impending CBA) (most likely 3 yrs for draft picks)

Salaries for 2001 1st rounders are $1.13 mil

Salaries for 2002 1st rounders are $1.185 mil

Salaries for 2003 1st rounders are $1.24 mil

Restrictions:

• All trades must be realistic (no retirees/overseas players ie: McKay/Czerkawski)
  • Total payroll must not exceed $48.00 million
  • RFA's Koivu/Markov/Ribeiro must be signed (assume Bulis at 1 mil even)
  • You must have 13 forwards, 7 d-men and 2 goalies on the roster
  • You need not worry about the farm roster
  • Assume no players have no-trade clauses
  • Salaries will be based on last year's numbers, except for the aforementioned RFA's
  • Contract buyouts are for 2/3 of the players' contract for the 2002/2003 season.

Trade as many players as you want, trade the players you acquire, it doesn't matter, just make sure they're realistic (ie: Lecavalier for Dackell isn't realistic, but Brisebois for Tverdovsky is better)

A sample way to post your trade(s):

To New Jersey: Patrice Brisebois ($4 mil)

To Montreal Oleg Tverdovsky ($3.6 mil)

Cap difference: Save $0.4 mil

The deadline for any entries is July 1st at noon, this gives you a chance to see how the draft goes.

Any entries are to be sent to me either through e-mail (dlbalr60@yahoo.ca), U2U's, or offline YIM messages.

After the deadline, I'll post all the entries here and we can judge who put together the best team.

Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. If you have any questions, post them and I'll try to answer them, if not, I'll make a rule up. :)

:hlogo::ghg:

[Edited on 2003/6/24 by dlbalr]

Originally posted by dlbalr

Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  If you have any questions, post them and I'll try to answer them, if not, I'll make a rule up. :)

Good idea ...

Suggestions.... hmmm.... You said 13 forwards 7d and 2g , but that only adds up to 22 players , the standard NHL roster is 23 players.

Also Bulis signed for closer to 2 million per year then 1 million (no link , but its true) ... So you might want to change that.

Also... You can accept U2U (User 2 User messages) on this forum , people can send you entries that way.

(I'll do mine a bit later)

Regarding Bulis, I just picked a number that would subtract from the salary cap easily enough, 1 is easier than 1.__ . I hope it's not near 2 mil, it should be a little less than what Zednik's getting (1.65 and 1.75).

As for the roster restrictions, I could switch it to 23 for more realism but when I did this earlier, I did 22 and it worked out nicely. I'll wait for some other suggestions before deciding on 22 or 23.

Take your time though, you have a month and a day (unless we change the day to past the draft to get a more updated roster/depth chart), so don't swamp me with entries right away.

U2U's are a good idea, especially since I don't check my Yahoo e-mail often. :)

C'mon guys, make some suggestions here, I'd like to set the final instructions soon, and I'm fairly sure that the current ones need some tinkering.

Also, I've only recieved three intents to enter, I need more if we're going to try this pool. If you're interested, e-mail me, or preferably, send me a U2U.

Remember, this is just for fun, there are no winners and losers, it's merely something to pass the time until the draft and FA season begins.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I've sent U2U's to 10 of you, but not all (I didn't really feel like sending 50 until I got a better idea of who's in and who's out). I've received 2 responses thus far, and the rest of you HAVE been here since I sent the messages. Please check ASAP, as I need to decide what to do here.

(If you didn't receive a message, but are interested in the challenge, send me a U2U and I'll explain the game to you.)

how accurate is TFP's salaries?

Is there somewhere else you can recommend?

What is the definition by your statement "no retirees and internation players"?

TFP isn't too bad; I have THN's salary issue down here with me, so if you can't find info on a certain player, U2U me, and I'll see if I have it, if not we'll make something up.

No retirees means McKay/Juneau or anyone else can't just decide to retire, even though that's what the majority of us want. :)

As for no overseas players, this means you can't send a player overseas (ie: Czerkawski as rumoured), but you can sign one, as long as the figure is accurate (it wouldn't hurt to send me some info on the player too). The one exception to this rule is Eric Landry, as he has already signed overseas, but that shouldn't be too great a concern, as he's not on the roster anyways.

(Justathot, Huzer, Markov79, and Habsaku, please check your U2U's-it's near the top of the page)

[Edited on 2003/6/10 by dlbalr]

What about signing Lemieux? If his contract is the 10 million as rumored (he isn't ruled out yet), can we go over the $ limit?

What about coaches? Or Hamilton?

You can sign Lemieux to whatever lucrative contract as you please, as long as you stay UNDER the limit (48 mil).

As for coaches and minor leaguers, they don't count on the cap, however you can include the Hamilton farm team if you want, it's just an extra challenge.

But we're already at $46 million. can you make it $50 million if you sign Lemieux. With the lack of UFAs and the amount of quality RFAs that need to be resigned, there's no way we can have Lemieux and the team for $48 million

Our payroll at the beginning of the season was just over 48 mil. We lost Hackett (3.6), Gilmour (2.25) and Petrov (1.2), while adding Bouillon (app. 500,000), Dwyer (app. 600,000) and Sundstrom (1.8).

Deletions: 3.6+2.25+1.2= 7.05 mil

Additions: 1.8+0.6+0.5 = 2.9 mil

Difference: Save 4.15 mil

So, the payroll is roughly 44 mil, which gives you some room to sign Lemieux without exceeding 48 mil. However, I will consider your request Aussie, as it is reasonable. Thoughts anyone, should we up the cap?

(Also Aussie, Gillett stated earlier in the season the payroll will be no larger than 45 mil, so I'm giving you more room than I should already. :) )

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone (dlbalr) going to post an example of an entry into this contest? It would really help me (and others) out...

It doesnt have to be a real entry , just one to be used as an entry-template or something...

I've been extremely busy lately (the draft, exams, regular season baseball, baseball tournaments as well as working off community service hours (government curriculum mandate) ) so I haven't had much time to work on one. Now that the draft has come and gone, I will get working on it and have one up as soon as possible, so any suggestions will have to be made in the next couple of days. (I'm hoping to have one up on Tuesday.)

(Also puck, if you're looking for a sample trade, I put one in the original message, which may help you out a little bit.)

[Edited on 2003/6/24 by dlbalr]

I've recieved your entry sakiqc, and for the most part it was well done. I sent you a U2U explaining the changes that need to be made, as well as some suggestions on how to lower your payroll.

Signed RFA's: Koivu: $5 mil, Markov: $2.25 mil, Ribeiro: $900,000, Kilger: $1.25 mil, Dwyer: $600,000.

Trades/Moves made:

[*]Andreas Dackell to Minnesota for a 6th round pick

[*]Mike Ribeiro and the rights to Viktor Ujcik to EDM for Steve Staios and Raffi Torres

[*]Joe Juneau, Sylvain Blouin and a 5th round draft pick to NYI for Dave Scatchard and Oleg Kvasha

[*]Karl Dykhuis to CBJ for a 4th round draft pick

[*]Mariusz Czerkawski + cash ($1.3 mil) to CGY for future considerations

[*]Sign UFA Michal Grosek (BOS) to a 1-year, $700,000 contract

[/list=1]

Forwards:

Zednik-Koivu-Audette (1.7+5+3 mil = 9.7 mil)

Hossa-Perreault-Ward (1.075+2.8+.75 mil = 4.625 mil)

Bulis-Scatchard-McKay (1+1.3+2.125 mil = 4.425 mil)

Kvasha-Kilger-Sundstrom (.75+1.25+1.8 mil = 3.8 mil)

SPARE: Grosek (0.7 mil)

TOTAL FORWARDS: 23.25 mil

Defence:

Markov-Rivet (2.25 + 1.5 mil = 3.75 mil)

Staios-Quintal (.9 + 2.15 mil = 3.05 mil)

Souray-Brisebois (1.1 + 4 mil = 5.1 mil)

SPARE: Komisarek (1.13 mil)

TOTAL DEFENCE: 13.03 mil

Goalies:

Theodore (5 mil)

Garon (.907,500)

TOTAL GOALIES: 5.0975 mil

TEAM TOTAL: 41.3775 mil

Remember, all salary figures are from the 2002/2003 season unless the player(s) was/were on the Habs roster at the end of the season and is/was an RFA.

Hope this helps everyone!

Alright dlbalr I entered ...

My team is very basic , very dull ... no moves really , but thats because I am more focused on the 03-04 season , thats when the habs really start to take shape...

I U2U'ed it to you. :)

I received your entry puck, you're good to go. I'm not too surprised by your entry, mine is similar in that not many moves are made, the team should focus long-term instead of short-term which it likely will.

THE DEADLINE IS TOMORROW!!!

I still have to receive entries from some of you, I've only received 2 so far (not including my own). Read the original message for more details. Good luck!

Here are all of the entries (in total, 3 of them)

Remember, the entries were created before the July 1 deadline, so McKay/Czerk appear on the roster, and Kilger's contract won't be $800,000.

Entry #1 (puck7x)

RFA signings: Koivu ($5 mil), Markov ($2.2 mil), Dwyer ($0.4 mil), Kilger ($1.25 mil), Ribeiro (N/A), Ryder ($400,000)

UFA signings: none

Trades:

1) Ribeiro to Edmonton for 2nd rounder

2) Juneau to Avs for 6th rounder

3) Dackell / 5th to Nucks for J.Ruutu

Line combos:

1) Zednik - Koivu - Audette (1.7 + 5 + 3 = 9.7)

2) Hossa - Perreault - Ward (1.075 + 2.8 + .75 = 4,625)

3) Kilger - Bulis - Sundstrom (1.25 + 1 + 1.8 = 4.25)

4) Dwyer - Gratton - Ruutu (.4 + .4 + .4 = 1.2)

Spares: Ryder, McKay (0.4 + 2.125 = 2.525)

1) Markov - Rivet (2.2 + 1.5 = 3.75)

2) Souray - Komisarek (1.1 + 1.13 = 2.23)

3) Hainsey - Quintal (1.1 + 2.15 = 3.25)

Spare: Bouillon (0.5)

1) Theodore (5)

2) Garon (0.9)

------------

TOTAL PAYROLL: $37,530,000

Entry #2 (sakiqc)

RFA signings: Koivu ($5 mil), Kilger ($1.25 mil), Markov ($2.7 mil), Ribeiro ($1.15), Dwyer (not given), Isbister ($2.5 mil)

UFA signings: Teemu Selanne (SJ) 1 yr/5 mil

Trades:

1) Dackell (1,4) + Ribeiro (1,15) to EDM for Isbister (2,55)

2) 1st round 2004 + Hossa (1,075) + Markov(2,7) to OTT for Havlat (1,5) + Chara (1,75) (PLUS 1,5M)

3) Dykhuis (1,6) Taken by Toronto at the Waiver Draft

4) Chris Neil (0,45) taken from Ottawa at the Waiver Draft

Line combos:

1) Zednik-Koivu-Selanne(1.7+5+5=11.7)

2) Havlat-Perreault-Audette (1.5+2.8+3=7.3)

3) Isbister-Bulis-Ward (2.5+1+.75=4.25)

4) Kilger-Juneau-Sundstrom (1.25+2.1+1.8=5.15)

Spare: Neil (.45)

1) Komisarek-Chara (1.13+1.75=2.88)

2) Brisebois-Quintal (4+2.15=6.15)

3) Rivet-Souray (2.5+1.1=3.6)

Spare: Bouillon (.5)

1) Theodore (5)

2) Garon (1)

-------------

TOTAL PAYROLL: $47.98 mil

Note to sakiqc-this entry was edited to make payroll (Quintal, Theodore, Isbister)

Entry #3 (dlbalr)

RFA signings: Koivu ($4.75 mil), Markov ($2.25 mil), Kilger ($1.25 mil), Dwyer ($600,000), Shvidki ($750,000)

UFA signings: Chris Simon (CHI) 1 yr/$1.25 mil

Trades:

1) Mike Ribeiro + 4th rounder to FLA for Marcus Nilson + Denis Shvidki

2) Andreas Dackell to MIN for a 6th rounder

3) Karl Dykhuis to CBJ for Darrel Scoville

4) 3rd rounder to BUF for J.P. Dumont

Lines:

1) Zednik-Koivu-Audette (9.45 mil)

2) Hossa-Perreault-Dumont (4.975 mil)

3) Bulis-Juneau-Sundstrom (4.825 mil)

4) Nilson-Kilger-McKay (4.3 mil)

Spares: Ward, Simon (2 mil)

1) Markov-Rivet (3.75 mil)

2) Brisebois-Quintal (6.15 mil)

3) Souray-Komisarek (2.13 mil)

Spare: Bouillon (.5 mil)

1) Theodore (5 mil)

2) Garon (.9075 mil)

-----------

TOTAL PAYROLL: $44,050,500

As an added challenge to my own entry, I did the Hamilton roster too (not included in the payroll). This is why I've traded for minor-leaguers.

RFA signings: Ryder ($400,000), Perezhogin (1.13 mil per season)

UFA signings: J-G Trudel (HOU) 1 yr/$500,000

Lines:

1) Trudel-Higgins-Shvidki

2) Ryder-Plekanic-Balej

3) Perezhogin-Gratton-Milroy

4) Dwyer-Larrivée-Thinel

Spare: Blouin

1) Hainsey-Archer

2) Traverse-Jarventie

3) Scoville-Shasby

Spare: Carpentier (signed a minor league deal with Hamilton a week or two ago)

1) Fichaud

2) Michaud

Now from here, we must decide who made the best (and most realistic) trades. We then put those together to create the "best possible" team with the payroll remaining under $48 mil. Anyone can contribute here, but remember, only the trades made above are eligible to be made to create the new team. Have fun!

[Edited on 2003/7/3 by dlbalr]

Just a quick catch of an error...Isbister is with Edmonton (niinimaa trade), not the Isles. Not that it makes any difference...

Also, on Puck's entry, where did Brisebois go?

[Edited on 2003/7/2 by huzer]

dlbalr, good job

maybe you didn't saw, but at the end of my entry, i put the lines I want. Because, if you put the lines like you did, my trades makes no sense :)

ok here were the lines i gave:

Zednik - Koivu - Selanne // everyone knows about the finish duo, zednik can be the good talented checker

Havlat - Perreault - Audette // some threat to the opposing goalie, talented winger for yanic

Isbister - Bulis - Ward // Working hard line, potential offensively, good defensively

Kilger - Juneau - Sundstrom

Neil

Chara - Komisarek // the New World Trade Center Towers

Hainsey - Quintal // physical presence

Souray - Rivet // physical prensence

Bouillon

Theodore

Garon

Sakiqc, I just looked at your entry now and I saw the lines, my mistake. You have to keep Bouillon and Chara together though, there's nothing like having the league's tallest defenceman with the league's smallest one. :)

As for the lines, I like yours much better, although the ones I posted (through the salary breakdown near the middle) have very good balance-it's hard to distinguish what would be a front line and what would be the 4th lines.

on my lines, at the bottom.. we should read "brisebois" and not "hainsey"

That's from a U2U you sent me on June 24-so your line of Hainsey-Quintal should read Brisebois-Quintal, just thought you should know.

[Edited on 2003/7/3 by dlbalr]