CBS power rankings: Habs rated Highly!

huzer

Awesome, Montreal only 1 away from being where they belong! GO HABS!

it seems a lot of sites are dragging their heals putting out new power rankings. I'm look at you, TSN!

EDIT: new info

Biggest slide from CBS?

Pittsburgh Penguins

This week 27

Last Week 9

Crosby had a very good first week, which is a lot more than his new-look team can say.

Wow... can't say I disagree. Although watched their last game on OLN. Fleury was the best youngster on that team.

[Edited on 10/13/2005 by simonus]

Nice to prove the "experts" wrong -- this team has what it takes to do well, and I hope we prove that against the Leaf Saturday!

Now we'll see what TSN does, their ratings should be out soon.

Meanwhile ESPN has a poll on which "fast-start" team is the real thing, Habs are winning and its interesting to see where (in the USA) the votes came from. We're big in Arizona, it seems!

I notice the ESPN Habs/Thrashers video report shows three goals Kovalchuk DIDN'T get, shows neither of the goals the Habs did get!

Oh well, we do have the standings on our side!

FoxSports Rankings

Montreal at #3. I would feel better about this ranking if it weren't apparent that the writer is an idiot. Example?

"[Mike Ryder] became the first player in NHL history to score the game-winning-goal with less than 30 seconds to go in the third period or in overtime in each of his team’s first two games of the year." This might be one of the most irrelevant statistics I've ever heard mentioned by a journalist

AND

"The Leafs [are] 0-1-0-2" - Good to know that the leafs haven't gotten any ties yet.

[Edited on 10/13/2005 by simonus]

Originally posted by simonus

FoxSports Rankings

Montreal at #3.  I would feel better about this ranking if it weren't apparent that the writer is an idiot.  Example?

"[Mike Ryder] became the first player in NHL history to score the game-winning-goal with less than 30 seconds to go in the third period or in overtime in each of his team’s first two games of the year."  This might be one of the  most irrelevant statistics I've ever heard mentioned by a journalist

AND

"The Leafs [are] 0-1-0-2" - Good to know that the leafs haven't gotten any ties yet.

Wow is all I can say. I thought I'd find some true but stupid stats, like that. But it's totally pointless, and the thought that someone is getting paid to do it, wow.

To sleep now.

:ghg:

Originally posted by JeanLucPilon

Now we'll see what TSN does, their ratings should be out soon.

No shock here. McGuire has his own "power rankings". Despite the Habs being tied with Ottawa for the most wins, they aren't in the top 5. Nope, Vancouver is despite the fact they're .500% right now.

Yet again this is Pierre McGuire.

Of course we all want to see the habs at #1, but I think #2 is a bit optimistic still. I would be satisfied with the improvement if we ended the year as #8 or #9 in the NHL, hopefully with home ice in the 1st round of the playoffs and then lets see what happens.

I just think it's too soon to be considered as one of the top 5 teams in the NHL ..... BUT, I sure would love to hang out in the top five all season! Makes it so much easier to live and be happy in the GTA that way!

Don't things look different for different people. It's almost a case of different witnesses giving similar but somewhat different interpretations of an accident.

As for me, I will look at them all and say: "Hmmm.... that's interesting." and not a heck of a lot more.

Yes, a high rating will bring some warmth to my heart and a lower rating will have the opposite result. Bottom line, I know that different people will see different things so there's always a relative worth to it all.

:hockey::hockey::hockey::hockey:

Originally posted by JeanLucPilon

I notice the ESPN Habs/Thrashers video report shows three goals Kovalchuk DIDN'T get, shows neither of the goals the Habs did get!

Oh well, we do have the standings on our side!

ESPN

Extra Stupid Pinhead Network!

These guys are so full of themselves. The basketball crap that I read on there is unreal. They think they know NFL, then along came the Patriots. Patriots start winning and they jump on the bandwagon. Whoever wins this year, they will jump on the bandwagon.

Hockey? Do they know the puck does not glow?

Thats why this board RULES! Our family here knows the truth. Habs scored 2 goals, Atlanta was SKUNKED!

Originally posted by Trizzak

Habs being ranked #2 is great, but let's face it guys, the Habs aren't playing all that well. Most especially their first two games which they shouldn't have won.

A reasonable commentary considering some of the struggles the team has had. They've done well in one way but there's been a cloud of inconsistency over them. I hope it passes quickly and the sun comes out in blazes.

Originally posted by shortcat1
Originally posted by Trizzak

Habs being ranked #2 is great, but let's face it guys, the Habs aren't playing all that well. Most especially their first two games which they shouldn't have won.

A reasonable commentary considering some of the struggles the team has had. They've done well in one way but there's been a cloud of inconsistency over them. I hope it passes quickly and the sun comes out in blazes.

the habs have definitely had some weak shifts, but theo plays solid (not talking about mind-blowingly great) and those wins would look a lot more convincing.

Everyone agrees that the Leafs suck. And these guys are proving that they don't know anything about hockey.

Before the season, we were 17th (SI) and out of the playoffs in everyone's rankings. After we're 3-0 we're suddenly 2nd or 3rd in the league. These bandwagon-jumpers should learn that it's to early to tell, and if they'd actually watched the games they'd've seen that they weren't real wins. ALso, if Ottawa is first, we can't be second, Only fourth. But we can still have the second highest amount of points.

generally agreed, except that power rankings are not done as standings, but rather as 'pure qualitative' rankings. For power rankings it doesnt matter that Montreal cannot finish 2nd, it is saying they are the second best.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

Everyone agrees that the Leafs suck. And these guys are proving that they don't know anything about hockey.

Before the season, we were 17th (SI) and out of the playoffs in everyone's rankings. After we're 3-0 we're suddenly 2nd or 3rd in the league. These bandwagon-jumpers should learn that it's to early to tell, and if they'd actually watched the games they'd've seen that they weren't real wins. ALso, if Ottawa is first, we can't be second, Only fourth. But we can still have the second highest amount of points.

It's a long season. Much can happen. Things may work out much better for the Leafs than we expect/want and, again, they may not.

Time will tell, certainly not a handfull or a dozen games.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo: