HF feature on Kastistsyn

Habs77

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?s...hreaded&order=0

Written by "montreal":

With the 10th pick overall in the 2003 Entry Draft, the Habs selected from Central Red Army, Andrei Kastsitsyn.  The 2003 draft was one that was loaded with talent, and was also an event that may be a true stepping stone for the Montreal Canadiens organization.  The Habs were in need of a true game breaking forward, so they took a chance on the Belarussian star, after he showed a real flair on offense in the recent U-18 and U-20 World Junior Championships.  Only time will tell if he take his game to the next level. His next step is to secure a spot on the roster of CSKA in the Russian Super League.  

In the last three drafts, the Habs have taken two players out of the RSL, Alex Perezhogin (25th overall, 2001) and now Kastsitsyn. Habs Russian scout Nikolai Vakourov sees a comparison in the two. "They are pretty similar players.  Both are very good skaters. Andrei has a better shot then Perezhogin. They have the same scoring ability. They have the same offensive skills. They are both offensive forwards.”  When asked what he saw in Kastsitsyn’s game, he replied, “I saw talent.  He’s got skating, great shot, very good potential.”  Regarding concerns about his health, Vakourov said, “Yes we did numerous tests, and the general conclusion was, that he has a problem, but it is not so important, and it will not make a problem for him to play in the NHL.”  

Kastsitsyn was asked about his illness, and he replied, “I don’t have anything, and I don’t think it will interfere with me playing hockey. I really don’t think about it.”  Some players would use this as a motivation to prove to others that they misjudged him.  “I think it was a mistake that teams did not pick me earlier, because of this illness issue. I will prove to them they are all wrong,” he replied. When asked how long before he is NHL-ready, he said, “I think I would need one or two years.”  Kastsitsyn hasn’t been signed for this season yet, and might not be, but a strong season in the RSL may convince him to join follow RSL players Markov and Perezhogin in North America in 2004.  

Considered to be an excellent skater and natural goal scorer, Kastsitsyn relies on his intelligence and instinctive hockey sense to pull off highlight reel goals, making defensemen and goalies look befuddled.  Concerns about his health, defensive play, and lack of physical play dwarf his abilities with the puck on offense. “Kastsitsyn tends to thrive in big games and wants to be the go to guy when everything is on the line,” according to one scout.  When Kastsitsyn was asked to describe his style of play, he said, “I think I am a team player. I can score, and I can give a nice pass.”

Kastsitsyn said of the club that drafted him, “I am very happy that Montreal drafted me.  I know it is one of the oldest and greatest NHL clubs.”  He will need time to adjust to the North American style along with a new culture and language.  Not knowing any English or French is an obstacle, but according to Kastsitsyn, “I am going to start learning English when I get back home.  I hired a tutor to study individually.”  With the Habs having only one player on the team currently that speaks Russian, Kastsitsyn may have a difficult time communicating with his teammates.  He was asked if he knows any current players on the Habs, he responded, “I know Markov and Alex Perezhogin.”  This should help ease his transformation to the NHL at some point, having two young players that have been in the same situation, trying to adapt to the new surroundings. There are also his military obligations to take into consideration, but Kastsitsyn said “I don’t believe it will be a problem.”  

[Edited on 26-7-03 by Habs77]