Infuriating reporter questions - what would you ask?

alfredoh2009

Watching Tortorella loose patience with reporter's questions and getting fined US$25,000 reminded me of a question I wanted to ask this forum after Bergevin's interview:

I was not impressed with the questions asked during the Habs end of season press conference. 

QUESTION:

=========

what would be your top 3 questions for Marc Bergevin if you were a reporter?

53 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

QUESTION:

=========

what would be your top 3 questions for Marc Bergevin if you were a reporter?

How much does Molson influence your decisions and examples please.

Who would be on list of Habs headcoachs in waiting?

Do you have any RFAs in mind for an offer sheet this off-season?

12 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Personally, I would not ask any of those. Why? Because he surely wouldn't answer any of them

And what worthwhile question would he actually give candid answer to?

And question wasnt what question would he answer, which wasnt a consideration.

The original post was, what would you ask, if you were a reporter? For me, if I were a reporter, the possibility of getting a useful answer would certainly influence my choice of question. If you get nothing, you have nothing to write about other than "Marc Bergeving refused to name the list of Habs' replacement head coach candidates", not much to write a story about.

How about "Which position on the team currently needs an upgrade most urgently, in your opinion, and why?" I think he might even answer that one.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DON said:

He might answer how many curls he does in a day.

• Like 2

"Carey Price at 33, Jeff Petry at 32, and Weber at 35, were the core of the defence this playoff. Given their advanced ages, what do you see as the team's Cup window?"

He'll say he doesn't believe in windows, of course.🙄

I might also ask about his expectations for the team next year, but maybe someone asked that; I don't waste time by watching his BS-filled press conferences

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

The original post was, what would you ask, if you were a reporter? For me, if I were a reporter, the possibility of getting a useful answer would certainly influence my choice of question. If you get nothing, you have nothing to write about other than "Marc Bergeving refused to name the list of Habs' replacement head coach candidates", not much to write a story about.

How about "Which position on the team currently needs an upgrade most urgently, in your opinion, and why?" I think he might even answer that one.

I think getting a 'useful' answer is slim to none and cliché's it would be.

But, he may answer that one; but, he wouldn't want to let 31 other GMs knows how he really looks at his roster.

If you had a few minutes to interview him, you might get a nugget or two, but question of two, would expect nothing substantial.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

He wouldn't answer that as that could give away his thinking to other GMs and/or send an unwanted message to any of his current players.  Instead, he'd say something along the lines of he's always looking to improve the team.

Marc ... have you ever heard of Grecian Formula?

7 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

How about asking him why he puts all his eggs in one basket come free agency time 🤔

In fairness, I think most teams do ... unless a team has tons of cap space and few players to add they have to focus on at most a couple of significant players as you are essentially offering the same "cap $$$" to more than one player ... have to be careful that you don't get an offer accepted by your "backup plan UFA" while your prime target is still deciding (all subject to your team feeling they have a legit chance at the "big fish") ... if you are talking about mid-range UFAs then if 2-3 players accept $4/5M offers you can always go over the cap in the "summer" and then move out the player(s) they are intended to replace ... 

17 hours ago, DON said:

MB is pretty good at sidestepping questions , specially when not well formulated.

An example of a candid questions is when he laughed when asked by Francois Gagnon about Lafreniere and then asked Francois to ask the Rangers. He is good at deflecting questions

16 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

"Carey Price at 33, Jeff Petry at 32, and Weber at 35, were the core of the defence this playoff. Given their advanced ages, what do you see as the team's Cup window?"

He'll say he doesn't believe in windows, of course.🙄

I might also ask about his expectations for the team next year, but maybe someone asked that; I don't waste time by watching his BS-filled press conferences

He answer your first question saying those players showed this series how well they take care of themselves and that after they live “in many many years from now” their legacy will be forever with the team. He was pushed on Carey and the backup and gave some good answers but in general the questions where *meh* 🙄

I would ask:

1. You said that the qualifying round and playoff makes have a different perspective on the team. What are the elements that stand out for you?

2. With many key players one year away from their next contract, how much change should we expect before the beginning of the next season?

3. With the emergence of many defensemen this year and a few unsigned for next season. Who do you consider your core D?

What did you learn from the failure of your first five year window?

Would you be more aggressive with an offer sheet contract than you were with the Aho offer sheet, which was widely mocked as undervalue?

Under your direction, the team has failed to make the playoffs more often than not. How will you correct this, make the team a consistent playoff contender, if given the opportunity?

And then I get my press credentials revoked.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, huzer said:

Would you be more aggressive with an offer sheet contract that you were with the Aho offer sheet, which was widely mocked as undervalue?

Under your direction, the team has failed to make the playoffs more often than not. How will you correct this, make the team a consistent playoff contender, if given the opportunity?

Your lucky their isn't any red button any more with those questions around here lol 😎

15 hours ago, GHT120 said:

In fairness, I think most teams do ... unless a team has tons of cap space and few players to add they have to focus on at most a couple of significant players as you are essentially offering the same "cap $$$" to more than one player ... have to be careful that you don't get an offer accepted by your "backup plan UFA" while your prime target is still deciding (all subject to your team feeling they have a legit chance at the "big fish") ... if you are talking about mid-range UFAs then if 2-3 players accept $4/5M offers you can always go over the cap in the "summer" and then move out the player(s) they are intended to replace ... 

Well other gm's have a plan A,B,C,D if their top target doesn't sign with them and also have a time frame when to change direction to their next target if their 1st target takes too long to make a decision.

Bergevin doesn't do that 

Vank--couldn't resign him , had no other plan

Markov/Radulov--couldn't resign them, no back up plan 

Then use's the line we're going to play the kids but at that time no prospects in the system.

UFA targets 

Trys to go all in for Johansen miss out , no other ufa's signed or targeted.

Trys to go all in for Tavares miss out, no other ufa's signed or targeted.

Trys a offer sheet for Aho doesn't work, no other target's.

We have had all this cap space now for what the last 5 years now? 

You don't always need the home run ball, but a few key ufa's to add depth a scoring on each line is more impact full  at times then that big fish.

24 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

How do we know that he had no other plan, and no other UFAs or RFAs targeted?

Why do we have so much cap space? Because he didn't go after anyone else and then used the line we're going to let the kids play. That's how you know he didn't target anyone else. 

4 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Why do we have so much cap space? Because he didn't go after anyone else and then used the line we're going to let the kids play. That's how you know he didn't target anyone else. 

I want useful additions as much as the next fan ... but I didn't want him signing Derek Brossard for $3.5 million last summer just because he had cap space available

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I want useful additions as much as the next fan ... but I didn't want him signing Derek Brossard for $3.5 million last summer just because he had cap space available

Who said anything about that? Read the whole conversation first before you comment

I had said you don't need to hit a home run in free agency by signing the top player.  you can spread it around and sign players that will add depth and produce. 

That's why my question to Bergevin was why do you put all your eggs in one basket come free agency. 

Even if you have cap space now, signing UFAs that do not make a real impact (bottom-six forwards etc) to the long-term contracts they want will come to bite you in the ass later when you are tight on cap space. Like next year.

As was said in the other thread, we need an impact player or three, not depth UFAs.

2 hours ago, huzer said:

Would you be more aggressive with an offer sheet contract than you were with the Aho offer sheet, which was widely mocked as undervalue?

Naw, he’ll just say it’s a hard league.  Hard to make the playoffs. Hard to draft. Hard to win. Hard to make an RFA offer that everyone but me thinks was useless. Hard to get a run of the mill skilled, but soft, perimeter FRENCH winger that I think would make be a great centre, without giving up my best prospect.  But you know I try and if the players don’t perform, if the other GM’s don’t do what I expect them to do - like why would the Canes possibly wanted to have signed  AHo to such a reasonably cap hit salary when I front loaded the contract??  How was I to know when they are suppose to be cash constrained??  How was I to know that Aho was worth more than a 1st, 2nd and 3rd pick??? What else can I do.  It takes two people to make a deal. And you know it’s hard to make a deal.  It’s really, really hard to be an NHL GM.  

Look how long the islanders were bad until.. oh never mind.

Ok, gotta go now. Timmins’s arms are getting bigger than mine, so it’s time for some curls.