Infuriating reporter questions - what would you ask?

alfredoh2009

Last year was not the UFA year. Panarin/Karlsson were about it for impact players. This year, I think Hall is it for impact forward, although there are a few intriguing D.

The Habs either need to use the space on actual players (given Bergevin's comments on needing to sign youth in the future, that looks doubtful) or swing another Mason/Armia type of trade.

2 hours ago, huzer said:

What did you learn from the failure of your first five year window?

Would you be more aggressive with an offer sheet contract than you were with the Aho offer sheet, which was widely mocked as undervalue?

Under your direction, the team has failed to make the playoffs more often than not. How will you correct this, make the team a consistent playoff contender, if given the opportunity?

And then I get my press credentials revoked.

you would win reporter of the year with these 🤣

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

Who said anything about that? Read the whole conversation first before you comment

I had said you don't need to hit a home run in free agency by signing the top player.  you can spread it around and sign players that will add depth and produce. 

That's why my question to Bergevin was why do you put all your eggs in one basket come free agency. 

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

Why do we have so much cap space? Because he didn't go after anyone else and then used the line we're going to let the kids play. That's how you know he didn't target anyone else. 

I did read it

You specifically said the habs have lots of cap space because he didn't go after anyone else ... I just said I didn't want him spending money just to spend money ...

Don't disagree with your earlier points but MB can't force someone useful to sign and the Habs don't need multiple years tied up on a player who doesn't make them better 

Absent useful UFA/RFA signings he does need to aggressively pursue "Mason-like" trades ... they may not bring the needed upgrades but they would add assets that could be used in other trades.

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He answer your first question saying those players showed this series how well they take care of themselves and that after they live “in many many years from now” their legacy will be forever with the team. He was pushed on Carey and the backup and gave some good answers but in general the questions where *meh* 🙄

Yeah, I ended up streaming the presser on my headphones while BBQing yesterday. A couple of questions did circle around the issue of the ages of Weber and Price, and as I expected, he just said they will continue to be elite for years to come; and he also made the (dubious) claim that their incredible Leadership will echo through the organization for ages hence. That's rather obviously false to me; the 1993 team had Muller, Damphousse, and other veteran "leaders," but within four years the team had degenerated into semi-permanent mediocrity. No reason it won't happen again after those guys retire or crumble. In fact one can ask what value should be placed upon Leadership given that this leadership core has led the team to atrocious results for a half-decade.

I like that he affirmed the importance of a quality backup, though.

Given his denial that the Habs have much cap room, it seems clear he will not be pushing hard for expensive UFAs.

Meh indeed. The proof will be in the pudding - the actual off-season moves, and the season to come - not the press conference.

20 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah, I ended up streaming the presser on my headphones while BBQing yesterday.

What was on the menu?

6 minutes ago, DON said:

What was on the menu?

Chicken. I tried going vegetarian but lacked the discipline to give myself adequate protien, so I settled on allowing some poultry and fish. 

Habsworld! For all your exciting dietary coverage

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Chicken. I tried going vegetarian but lacked the discipline to give myself adequate protien, so I settled on allowing some poultry and fish. 

Glad you were not BBQing potatoes :nuts:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Inquiring minds need to know this stuff.:D