theo to avs rumor running rampant

un_habitant

COL: Theo+Brisebois

MTL: Tanguay+Morris+whatever

I'm not so much against that deal so long as we get some goalie to play 40 games along side Garon.

1 year contract with Potvin? He isn't a bad goalie, and always does well at the beginning with a team. French Canadien, and successful in the playoffs. He could be had for a portion of Theo's salary.

Don't get me wrong, I want Theo with us, but as we've seen before, monkey say one thing, monkey do something different.

People don't want us to get ripped off again. But who says we're getting ripped off?

Sure, Tanguay might not be the best fit for our team.

But how about Battaglia+Morris+1st round pick?

Rights to Roy are worth nothing, seeing as he's retired. He's not coming back. And I don't think I'd want him back either.

I don't know, you might not want Battaglia, Morris and a 1st. However, without jumping on the bandwagon, I'd actually approve a trade by BG that:

a.) Dumped Brisebois

b.) Aquired a solid, young, physical defencemen and similar forward

c.) Aquired a 1st round pick

I like Theodore, and I don't believe Garon is ready for starting goaltender duties yet, but that type of deal I would accept.

Who knows, if we shipped Garon over there too, and he shared half a season with Aebischer...?

But I think Sakiqc hit the nail on the head when he said that Lacroix wants to win, and now.

Which is actually a compliment if he wants Theo. It'd prove a lot of people wrong who felt that Jose was a one-hit wonder

I would want more than Morris and Tanguay to trade Theodore, especially to Colorado. Everyone knows they want the Cup badly this year, but that they lack a great goalie. So if Colorado wants a young goalie who already won the Hart and the Vezina, they should pay up.

With that in mind, I doubt Colorado would give us what we want since they'll want to hold on the best players.

I would go for something like this:

Theodore

Brisebois

3rd Round Pick

Skoula

Tanguay

Johansson

Stephens

1st Round Pick

It's very steep, but I wouldn't go much lower. The Avalanche would become number 1 fav. for the Cup, but while sacrificing a bit of their future. The Avs would most likely say no, but they can always go with Aebischer or maybe Potvin to win a Cup.

We sacrifice our present (Theo) while becoming serious contenders in the near future. Skoula and Tanguay should both get better, Johansson is decent, Stephens is a great gamble (if not he and Kilger would give us the best 4th line in the NHL).

First off, the second I saw "rights to Roy" in the deal I knew it was bogus... nobody trades retired players, I mean c'mon now.

Roy can't even play next year if he wanted to:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/news/2003/0709/1578672.html

Next, I don't want Tanguay... we have enough small/soft players as it is, no thanks.

Morris is the only attractive asset in the bunch, and definitely not enough to make me let go of Theo.

The Avs have depleted their assets to such a degree that they no longer have anyone of interest.

Sure, they have Sakic, Forsberg, Hedjuk, Kariya, Selanne, Blake... but they all cost too much, I'm not interested in either of them.

Sorry, but if I'm going to trade Theo... it's gonna be to someone else, someone who's gonna give me 2-3 quality young assets in return.

From the Avs, I like Morris, Worrell, and perhaps goalie Sauvé... but that's nowhere near enough.

I also agree that the Avs dont have that much to offer in terms of young players.

I like Morris as well, but he's probably not that far away from signing a big fat contract (I know the new CBA is coming and the owners are determined to change things, but they always say that... that's what they said in baseball, and they accomplished nothing). For this reason, I would rather have Martin Skoula.

Tanguay is still quite young, and can still improve his game.

And after that, ???? Question marks, and third liners. Sauve seems decent.

It makes sense that Lacroix might try to get Theodore. He'll try to take advantage of theo's off-ice problem, like he took advantage of roy's problem.

The only (and big!) difference is, Gainey ain't Houle

I hope Gainey's first trade won't be as disastruous as Houle's first!

It would be a nightmare if we do that morris-tanguay for briser-theo trade. (btw the roy part makes no sense, like koz said on another board)

That trade would be worse than the Roy trade. Remember, Thibault was a promising goalie (and he is now one of the best in the NHL, and if we get roy for 1 year..wth), Kovalenko was a tank, a real (over estimated) bulldozer (say Battaglia), Rucinsky was a pure sniper, the great winger (say tanguay)

The only good thing it's that we dumb salaries. Nothing more.

Wow, this is ridiculous.

Okay, Tanguay is SO ######ing overrated it's not even funny. If the guy doesn't play with Sakic he's terrible...

Now if the offer was for Hejduk and Morris I'd be FAR more interested...but I still don't know if that would be enough. A good young goalie like Theodore is almost impossible to find. Now, I think we actually have 2 of them and that Garon might actually make Theodore expendable but I also think that decision should be left alone for another season. It's a tough call, if Gainey thinks Garon is going to be better and Theodore is going to repeat last season then he knows Theodore's value will fall bigtime. Of course, after a deal to Colorado Theodore's numbers can't help but at least be solid...it's a catch 22 for him right now.

Best thing he can do right now is keep Theodore. If he's not playing like he should then deal him in the next off-season or the deadline at the earliest.

If we trade Theodore right now we better get a hell of a lot more then Morris and Tanguay. Christ, that deal would kill us...

Never going to happen , first of all Roy cant un-retire unless all 30 teams let him , 2nd of all the team sucks for the habs .... Tanguay and Morris for a hart winning Theodore is crap ...

Pure BS...

Keep Theodore.

http://www2.canoe.com/sports/nouvelles/arc...731-085543.html

JOSÉ THEODORE continues to make tongues wag during the off-season.  

© PC  

Will José Theodore continue his career in Montreal or somewhere else?  

The question remains unanswered and speculation follows the young man as he continues his golf season on the immaculate fairways of the Le Mirage club [now there's an ironic name - mr b].  

The latest rumor, perhaps a little eccentric, has Théo and his team-mate Patrice Brisebois going to Colorado in return for young left winger Alex Tanguay and defenseman Derek Morris.  

Of course, one does not expect to hear Pierre Lacroix or Bob Gainey comment on such a rumor. They are not the kind to reveal their plans to the public.  

What is certain, is that Lacroix has put together all the elements of a championship team, except a top-notch goalkeeper, and that he has his eyes on Theodore.  

According to the aforementioned rumor, the Canadiens would also obtain the right to negotiate with Patrick Roy, if the transaction were concluded.  

That makes no sense, because Roy already signed documents officializing his retirement. Moreover, do you believe that he would be likely to return to action at 38 with a rebuilding team?  

On the other hand, Bob Gainey would probably be tempted to trade Theodore and Brisebois in exchange for the two players mentioned above.  

Derek Morris is 25 years old, a solid guy who could easily fill the role of number one d-man in Montreal. Pierre Lacroix had to sacrifice Chris Drury and Stéphane Yelle to to get him from Calgary.  

The Edmonton athlete collected 11 goals and 37 assists in 75 games with the Avalanche last season and finished the season with a +16 rating.  

As for Alex Tanguay, he had a good second half of the season after playing with Peter Forsberg and Milan Hejduk. He has a lot of talent, but he is not regarded as a character player. He will be 23 years old in November.  

Among the players whom the Avalanche could sacrifice, one hears also the name of Martin Skoula, a 23 year old defender.  

In all this one should wonder whether Pierre Lacroix would be ready to spend nine or ten million US to engage Theodore and Brisebois, especially since the commercial value of the latter has taken a serious drop.  

"Anything is possible in the world of hockey. If Théo were traded to the Avalanche, I would be happy for him", said someone close to the young goalkeeper, convinced that he will have to endure much evil if he continues his career in Montreal, because of the charges laid against members of his family.  

According to our spies, Theo recently met with Gainey. Given the situation he finds himself in, Theo would be seriously considering going to play in another city.

If by any chance the Avs & Habs are really talking about a potential trade... I'd try to bring in a 3rd team.

Avs: Theo, Breezer

Habs: Morris, big winger/center from 3rd team

3rd team: Tanguay, Rivet/Hossa

Or something like that. Rivet would become expendable on the right side... we'd have Morris, Komisarek, Quintal on the right side.

I'd love to see Morris here, Tanguay I want no part of.