International Habs Fans

TheAussiePosse

Originally posted by ARG_Habit®

first I was intersted in the NHL, then i search for a team to become a real fan, after one week i know .... the canadiens will be my team forever.

:hockey: = :hlogo:

History+Passion+Style of play+Style of life....

That's why im a fan of Montreal :/)

:hlogo::hlogo::hlogo::hlogo:

:ghg:

Yessssssssssssssss... very good.

the History+Passion+Style of play attributes fit very well.

The Style of life thing, I don't know. A player's 'playing' life is short, stressful and insecure. One day, if things go well, you're on a high, on a pedestal and a few years later, you're disposable and disposed of.

But, hey... being a Habs fan is GREAT! :D:D:D:D

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by ARG_Habit®

first I was intersted in the NHL, then i search for a team to become a real fan, after one week i know .... the canadiens will be my team forever.

:hockey: = :hlogo:

History+Passion+Style of play+Style of life....

That's why im a fan of Montreal :/)

:hlogo::hlogo::hlogo::hlogo:

:ghg:

[Edited on 23/10/2005 by ARG_Habit®]

I think this sums up why all of us are habs fans (and why deep down we really just feel pity for the Leaf fan).

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the same problem of ARG_Habit®, I'm not so good writting in english, but let me tell my particular "habs Fan" story :)

I'm from Spain. First of all, in Spain(42 million population) there is a little hockey league with 5 or 6 teams only, none of them in my city or in my region.

30 years ago, one of my uncles went to work to Switzerland, so my cousin was born in that country and was living there for more than 20 years. In Switzerland ice hockey is very popular, so he became a hockey fan too. When he came to Spain on holidays, he usually told me information about this sport.

I really begin to understand hockey in 1993, with the video-game "NHL93" for SEGA Megadrive. I use to play with a friend, he always choose Rangers and I always play with Montreal. Montreal was the best team in that game and Denis Savard was the best player, that's the reason for my nick, and since 1993 I was a habs Fan.

A few years later, I had some friends living in Montreal, working in International Civil Aviation Organization, so I was invited to visit Canada. I couldn't go to any game in The Forum(no tickets avaible), but I've been in the Canadiens Store, I bought some merchandising, including a jersey, of course. When I told the people of the store that I wanted the name of "Savard" and number "18" in the jersey, they were very surprised, "¿Is Savard famous in Spain?", they ask to me :lol:

For a lot of years was very difficult to follow the Habs, there was no information about hockey in spanish newspapers, but with Internet everything has change. Now is easy to me to follow the league, I can watch the highlights in NHL.com and of course I can read habsworld.com and live the Montreal Canadiens like anyone living in Sherbrooke St. ;)

At this time there's no hockey in any Spanish TV, this year Canal Plus hasn't buy the rights of NHL, so I must wait to watch Habs games. I follow them for the radio

I like Basketball a lot and I usually write in the forum of the Spanish Basketball League. In that Forum, there are 5 or 6 people who like hockey, so we've got a thread to talk about the NHL in that spanish off-topic forum. We are and island inside Spain, here we are, we follow the league everyday. We're a "microcosmos", with a Habs fan(me), a Bruins fan(my swiss cousin), a Leafs fan, a Avs fan, a Wings fan,...¡¡A rarety in Spain!! :D

Well, that 's why I'm an "international habs fan".

Adios, amigos

My reason is much like the spaniard :)

My brother bought me a baseballcap around 93 that was a canadiens cap (luckilly not a leafs cap) and then I played the games as well :) My favourite habs at that time was Kirk Muller. Feels kinda strange that almost none of the players of 93 stayed canadien career out.

Which canadiens players from the 93 cup stayed in team career out?

• 3 weeks later...

What's all this then?

Hiya guys, long time, no see. This is my first post in... well, like forever. I haven't logged on here a lot lately, so pardon me if it's too late to contribute to this thread.

I'd be glad to jot down a few thousand words (I'm not kidding, I can never keep a short story short, I always make a short story long) about my life as a Habs fan. That is, I'd be glad to do it when I feel I have the time (which I haven't had lately, which is why I haven't posted in a while).

How does that sound?

Hey everybody,

Time has come again for another "Life of an International Habs Fan" story, but I'm sitting here with an empty inbox.

If you're like to be featured, please send 300-400 words on your memories, funny moments, lifestyle, anything really, that would help me relate your story to those fortunate enough to live in North America, or more specifically, Quebec.

U2U works, email too, and I guess postal address, but that might take a while.

Look forward to your replies!

[Edited on 2005/12/1 by TheAussiePosse]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey everybody,

Time has come again for another "Life of an International Habs Fan" story, but I'm sitting here with an empty inbox.

If you're like to be featured, please send 300-400 words on your memories, funny moments, lifestyle, anything really, that would help me relate your story to those fortunate enough to live in North America, or more specifically, Quebec.

U2U works, email too (aus_hab_fan@hotmail.com), and I guess postal address, but that might take a while.

Look forward to your replies!

Hi guys,

First post on the board. I´m from Germany and a Habs fan for quite some time. I usually keep up with the Habs news over the internet. Sometimes I manage to catch a game on Pay-TV here, but they show the Red Wings, Avs or Rangers more often (unfortunately).

I have seen them live in an arena on several occasions, but I have been to Montreal only once.

Right now, I really hope they´ll manage to get back on track. It doesn´t matter if it´s the final eighth spot. If they´re in the playoffs, they can beat every team. They have the potential and I´m sure that Gainey and Carbo will find a way for the team to re-discover how to use it.

• 2 months later...

... sorry for little off-topic theme, but I'm pretty disappointed from 1st. round-TV schedule here in Czech Republic :(:(!!

No Habs, No Avs! Rags first in game #5 ... maybe their last :( ...

21.4.2006 01:05 OTTAWA - TAMPA BAY live-NHL

23.4.2006 19:05 NASHVILLE - SAN JOSE live-NHL

24.4.2006 01:05 BUFFALO - PHILADELPHIA live-NHL

25.4.2006 04:05 ANAHEIM - CALGARY live-NHL

27.4.2006 03:35 EDMONTON - DETROIT live-NHL

29.4.2006 21:05 DETROIT - EDMONTON live-NHL

30.4.2006 00:05 NEW JERSEY - NY RANGERS live-NHL

02.5.2006 01:05 PHILADELPHIA - BUFFALO live-NHL

... whats the situation in the rest of Europe? ... or non-America world? :)

... sorry for little off-topic theme, but I'm pretty disappointed from 1st. round-TV schedule here in Czech Republic :(:(!!

No Habs, No Avs! Rags first in game #5 ... maybe their last :( ...

21.4.2006 01:05 OTTAWA - TAMPA BAY live-NHL

23.4.2006 19:05 NASHVILLE - SAN JOSE live-NHL

24.4.2006 01:05 BUFFALO - PHILADELPHIA live-NHL

25.4.2006 04:05 ANAHEIM - CALGARY live-NHL

27.4.2006 03:35 EDMONTON - DETROIT live-NHL

29.4.2006 21:05 DETROIT - EDMONTON live-NHL

30.4.2006 00:05 NEW JERSEY - NY RANGERS live-NHL

02.5.2006 01:05 PHILADELPHIA - BUFFALO live-NHL

... whats the situation in the rest of Europe? ... or non-America world? :)

We used to have great hockey coverage, almost 3 games a week during the regular season, and then one every night during the playoffs. Fox owns our Pay TV here, and ESPN was still the major network for the NHL.

But now, no ESPN = no Hockey. We'll be lucky to get even one game of the SC Finals!

I'm jealous

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

well as i have said earlier i cant be bothered to type the wholes story out- my workmate got me inot hockey he's a leafs fan- so to annoy him i support the habs and have done for 3 or 4 years now!

- so to annoy him i support the habs and have done for 3 or 4 years now!

so to annoy you should I bet a liverpool fan ??

My (paternal) grandpa is a West Ham fan. But he's an old senile geezer who don't know nothing about nothing. :rolleyes:

I kinda like 'em too, a little bit, despite the fact that they spoiled all Spurs chances of reaching the Champions League. Must be all the former Spurs players; Sheringham, Zamora, Etherington, that bald-headed left defender, what's his name...? Koncheski? Peter Koncheski, is that his name? I can't remember ever having seen him play for Spurs, he must not have been there for very long.

My (paternal) grandpa is a West Ham fan. But he's an old senile geezer who don't know nothing about nothing. :rolleyes:

I kinda like 'em too, a little bit, despite the fact that they spoiled all Spurs chances of reaching the Champions League. Must be all the former Spurs players; Sheringham, Zamora, Etherington, that bald-headed left defender, what's his name...? Koncheski? Peter Koncheski, is that his name? I can't remember ever having seen him play for Spurs, he must not have been there for very long.

Konchesky yeah, he played for the Spurs?? Didnt know that..

edit: yeah he did

1997/98 Charlton Athletic 3 0

1998/99 Charlton Athletic 2 0 Premiership

1999/00 Charlton Athletic 8 0

2000/01 Charlton Athletic 23 0 Premiership

2001/02 Charlton Athletic 34 1 Premiership

2002/03 Charlton Athletic 30 3 Premiership

2003/04 Charlton Athletic 21 0 Premiership

2003/04 Tottenham Hotspur 12 0 Premiership

2004/05 Charlton Athletic 28 1 Premiership

2005/06 West Ham United 37 1 Premiership

2006/07 West Ham United 7 0 Premiership