TSN Power Rankings

les_glorieux

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by ~moeman
I could say "Well these are my power rankings but I won't tell you what they're based on"

1. Montreal

30. Toronto

LS' uses the love/hate formula.

uh...................... would there be a bias factor brought into play here? hmmmmmmmmmm......... :D:D:D:D

uh...................... would there be a bias factor brought into play here? hmmmmmmmmmm......... :D:D:D:D

LS & me biased? You could say we learn from the worst (see leaf media shills at tsn, SNazi, cbc/hnit, etc., etc. etc.)

Also, you think the leaf fellators at hnic could've done a longer pre-game shill piece on the Big E(gg)?

You would love the letter I just sent these Yahoos. Asked them why their beloved Laughs, that they feel are the second strongest team in the league was tanked so easily by a team they feel are ninth. Told them to stop dreaming in B&W and not to worry, if they were to start from scratch now with a 5 year plan...

Also note that if the season were to finish today, the laughs are out of the playoffs. Now that's what I would call a powerhouse.

[Edited on 2005/10/23 by johnnyhasbeen]

Originally posted by simonus

the leafs would finish 6th in the east...

It's interesting how a really strong dislike of the maple leafs can make us see things about them which isn't really there. :eyes::eyes:

I'd like to take this opportunity to share a little revelation about the animal that we've all come to know as the Maple Leaf fan.

I was in TO, chatting with an ex's friends who turned out to be hockey nuts. Naturally, as soon as they learned that I took up for "le bleu, blanc et rouge", the temperature notched up a couple of degrees. I shared with them my ideas on why TO hasn't won the Cup in an age and most of their fans aren't old enough to remember the '67 win.

Simply put, their management doesn't have incentive to put out a winning team because regardless of the quality of team they put out, the ACC or the old Garden was going to be packed every night with fans wearing tons of Leaf merchandise and chugging down $7 beers. (Anyone remember the 1980s?) Mgmt's pockets were always full and as I remember, Ballard proved his greed by stealing from the Leafs and got a couple months in the slammer for it.

I tried to tell these guys at the bar that if they really wanted to see a winning team - stop buying tickets, stop buying the jerseys etc. Put a little fear in the pockets of the front office and maybe someone would get the message.

And the reaction I got was typical. "Can't do it, gotta support the team."

So as I see it, anyone who biases power rankings or television broadcasts in favour of that pathetic franchise on Lake Ontario does the rest of us a favour by giving their fans a sliver of hope for a Cup win.

And if you want an example of a city where the fans won't put up with BS, look no further than Mtl. Habs lose 5 games in a row and people stop buying tickets. No baseball playoff run in 30 years, no baseball team. And you know what - I'm all for it.

All right I'm done. GO HABS GO!

P.S. Has anyone noticed Kovalev's getting a little more physical out there? Personally, I don't think I had ever seen him in a tussle before he joined the Habs. I think Julien's lit a fire under this guy.

[Edited on 2005/10/23 by zumpano21]

Maybe if we were to win the Cup this year we could crack TSN's top five. Maaaaybe.........

Seriously though, I'd much rather have our boys fly under the radar for as long as possible. If we're still playing in June and ranked #30, I think I can live with that...Screw TSN!

Originally posted by redondo

Maybe if we were to win the Cup this year we could crack TSN's top five. Maaaaybe.........

Seriously though, I'd much rather have our boys fly under the radar for as long as possible. If we're still playing in June and ranked #30, I think I can live with that...Screw TSN!

Yes, it is possible. Then again, as far as I understand power rankings are not based upon actual success but upon potential dominance because of the players that are on the team.

Could be wrong...

Originally posted by shortcat1

Yes, it is possible. Then again, as far as I understand power rankings are not based upon actual success but upon potential dominance because of the players that are on the team.

Could be wrong...

Exactly, that's why all those rankings are pretty meaningless. Let the CH keep racking up the points, leave all the unofficial "honors" to the Leafs and their biased writers, they need some consolation for all those years (and counting) without the cup.

I couldn't agree more... the entire country knows TSN's bias, i live on the west coast and the Canucks fans out here are always complaining about the network's Leafs-centric perspective of hockey. And I'm sure it's the same in every other canadian market.

I'd be thrilled to see our Habs quietly continue to play good hockey, keep a low-profile and go into the play-offs strong, confident, and somewhat under-estimated. Then proceed to kick some Leafs butt on the way to the cup final against any of the western canadian teams(Vancouver would be nice). While Quinn and his bunch of whining goonies are crying over how its just so darn unfair and the whole world is against them on TSN every night.

Best case scenario for Canadian hockey is for an all-Canadian final. I don't see my Habs getting that far but I'd like to see them play the Sens in an Eastern final. Of course the Habs beat the Bs and the Sens smack the leaf on the way. An OTT v. VAN final is not too unpredictable and it'll be sweet to see the leafarazzi choke on its own leaf-loving puke. I live in the OTT area and believe me the h8 is on for the disgusting leaf and its hoard of whacked out fans.

Originally posted by ~moeman

Best case scenario for Canadian hockey is for an all-Canadian final. I don't see my Habs getting that far but I'd like to see them play the Sens in an Eastern final. Of course the Habs beat the Bs and the Sens smack the leaf on the way. An OTT v. VAN final is not too unpredictable and it'll be sweet to see the leafarazzi choke on its own leaf-loving puke. I live in the OTT area and believe me the h8 is on for the disgusting leaf and its hoard of whacked out fans.

Here's a heresy statement.

I do hope that Ottawa wins the cup this year. It would be better (for us) if Montreal won it but I don't expect that it'll happen this year.

I'm really concerned that Ottawa will become the Buffalo Bills of the NHL - a super team for a number of years that came oh so close (New Jersey in the last few minutes of the last period of the last game of the semi-finals) but never quite... get there. For me, they HAVE to win at least one cup. With Spezza, Heatly, Alfredson, the defense and Hasek, they have as good a shot as ever.

To keep this post in theme with the topic, I hope that the Sens have the power that they're rated to have and use it to go all the way.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

well, they seem to have a bit of a TO blindspot, but in general not egregiously bad. Definitely agree that Carolina and certainly Boston should be lower... but Carolina is riding a hot goaltender and rankers tend to like that.

It's kind of funny, I agree with just about everything that TSN had to say about the habs -

- that everything is rolling for the habs except the goaltending

- that jose's problems dont show how good a job the defense is doing.

This is not faint praise. Based on their statements, if theo can put together a 2.5GAA fortnight we should be near the top of the rankings. Let's see if they find a new reason to dog us.

I do hope that Ottawa wins the cup this year. It would be better (for us) if Montreal won it but I don't expect that it'll happen this year.

I want Montreal to be the next Canadian team to win the cup... they were the last and they'll be the next...

Maybe more people will get it through their heads that the Habs are the ONLY team worth rooting for!!

Originally posted by HaliHab

I want Montreal to be the next Canadian team to win the cup... they were the last and they'll be the next...

Maybe more people will get it through their heads that the Habs are the ONLY team worth rooting for!!

It's not a matter of 'rooting' for the Senators (I only 'root' for the Canadiens), it's a matter of hoping, for their sake, that they don't become a perennial cinderella team. They've got such talent that they should taste the champagne once anyway.

Could be wrong...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA shortcat1 you still kill me with your humour.

The only potential in Toronto is for retirement fund to be collected and the old folks home application forms to be handed out this year.

Lets compare:

Lindros or Koivu? Koivu

Allison or Kovalev? Kovalev

Belfour or Theodore? Theodore

McCabe or Markov? Toss-up.

J.F. Jr or Gainey? Gainey

4-2-2 record or 6-2 record? 6-2 Record!

(Sundin is out so I did not compare) He is a superstar on any team.

I know I am Montreal biased, but can anyone actually believe The Leafs can win a cup with this pathetic bunch and no real farm system for when they get injured? Good luck domi, berg and belak...... I'll take talented youth over old potential any day.

[Edited on 2005/10/24 by Howie_Morenz]

Originally posted by Howie_Morenz

Could be wrong...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA shortcat1 you still kill me with your humour.

The only potential in Toronto is for retirement fund to be collected and the old folks home application forms to be handed out this year.

Lets compare:

Lindros or Koivu? Koivu

Allison or Kovalev? Kovalev

Belfour or Theodore? Theodore

McCabe or Markov? Toss-up.

J.F. Jr or Gainey? Gainey

4-2-2 record or 6-2 record? 6-2 Record!

(Sundin is out so I did not compare) He is a superstar on any team.

I know I am Montreal biased, but can anyone actually believe The Leafs can win a cup with this pathetic bunch and no real farm system for when they get injured? Good luck domi, berg and belak...... I'll take talented youth over old potential any day.

:)

New rankings are out;

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=548&hubname=

~~~

tsn, in its leafarazzi wisdumb decides to drop the disgusting leaf down a few notches from the 2nd place pedestal the tsn presstitutes gave the overrated leaf last week. In one fell swallow they moved the leaf up from 16th to 2nd and then had to grab their blue balls, squeeze and somehow keep the leaf 7 positions above the Habs who have a better record and a much better team. Typical elf fellating. Man does tsn know its imbecilic audience or what. elf, dumb as a rock and as easy to throw.

oh shortcat1! SACRILEGE!! SACRILEGE!!! BLASPHEMER!!!!

that's the kind of attitude that happened in 1967 and 1989.

i don't want to hear your reality! i only want the truth!

maybe these power rankings are based on team potential in which case i'd have to agree wholeheartedly, except the leafs should be much much higher. like top spot. the streets must be packed with revelers in toronto! 4-2-2! they might as well be given their version of the cup right now: a parade down bloor!

Originally posted by mrgodo

maybe these power rankings are based on team potential in which case i'd have to agree wholeheartedly, except the leafs should be much much higher. like top spot. the streets must be packed with revelers in toronto! 4-2-2! they might as well be given their version of the cup right now: a parade down bloor!

Nothing like 'swimming against the current' in some issues to get attention. My mommy said that this would work and, as always, she was right. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

and this makes four deuces... not a bad poker hand. Could get better but could get a lot worse. :D:D:D:D

[Edited on 2005/10/25 by shortcat1]

Originally posted by mrgodo

Oh... and by the way, there isn't necessarily a distinction between my reality and the truth. On the one hand, my 'reality' may very well be the truth. Or, what you see as my 'reality' (which you probably mean fantasy) is, in fact me being honest or truthful to you as I see things.

It is very possible and often very likely that I'm wrong but, in this case as in pretty well all the times that I say something, I am being truthful.

(For that matter, 1967 was a year of MASSIVE disappointment for me.

1989 was another year of disappointment. The big deal at the time was 'let's see Lanny McDonald win a cup... he's worked so long for one and he never got one yet.' That was sentimental garbage thinking. Raymond Bourque was a trade away from never seeing one too. Gilbert Perreault and the whole French Line never saw one. The Statsny brothers never saw one. Darryl Sittler never saw one. Lots of guys in the Hall of Fame never saw one. In my heart, Montreal should have won that one too but it didn't happen.)

[Edited on 2005/10/25 by shortcat1]