Habs acquire negotiating rights to Joel Edmundson

dlbalr

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agree. The Habs seem to be banking an awful lot on Eyeontheprize's analysis of how Edmundson plays under a zone D system.And maybe it'll work out, at least until Julien is fired. But in the context of this constrained marketplace, that seems a mighty generous contract for a guy who will likely not have teams banging down the door to pay him over $4 mil.

Of course he hasn't signed yet. But i don't like the rumour much.

When you think they traded a meaningful pick just to have an edge in signing him...they must really like this guy.

I know MB signed Petry, and thank God. But if you look at the kind of d-man he seems to prioritize, it's Weber, Alzner, Chiarot, now Edmunson - even though Petry and Kulak were every bit as important to the little playoff run we had as were Chiarot and Weber. MB threw away Sergachev and Markov and couldn’t play hardball enough with Subban before shipping him out. I'm not crazy about this apparent preference for D-men who resemble the player Bergevin was over guys who can skate, move the puck, and create from the back end, especially on a team starved for offence. 

A 5th round pick is hardly a meaningful pick. The concensus is that there is less than a 5% chance they play in the NHL.

As for how the D is being contructed, instead of looking back to "the summer of buying a dog" (2017) and before. I think that he has drafted mobile D, and some of these kids seem to be adapted to the new NHL: Mete, Juulsen, Fleury, Romanov, Norlinder, etc.

Patching the holes until these prospects are ready is not a bad strategy, and they will insulate these

30 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Gionta/Gomez ?

I guess I should rephrase, not in the entire history of the Canadiens, but under the leadership of Bergevin. Given that we're pretty deep into his tenure, it's probably fairly safe to see there's a general pattern with Bergy. This is a wee bit of a different situation though, they aren't signing Edmundson to attract anyone, which was part of the reasoning behind the Gomez move. 

Anyway, I think if the Habs sign Edmundson, it's to sign him. Maybe Mete is a goner, but I don't think it's a move being made to trade away a bigger fish. Deducting UFAs (Folin)/RFAs (Oullet and Mete) and Alzner,  Edmundson gives them 5 defensemen with any level of significant NHL experience.

24 minutes ago, huzer said:

Anyway, I think if the Habs sign Edmundson, it's to sign him. Maybe Mete is a goner, but I don't think it's a move being made to trade away a bigger fish. Deducting UFAs (Folin)/RFAs (Oullet and Mete) and Alzner,  Edmundson gives them 5 defensemen with any level of significant NHL experience.

If the rumor that NHL teams will have expanded rosters if the AHL delays or cacels its seasoin, maybe all the extra Ds become an asset to have

image.png

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

A 5th round pick is hardly a meaningful pick. The concensus is that there is less than a 5% chance they play in the NHL.

Mea culpa, for some reason, when I wrote that, I was remembering it as a 3rd-round pick.

That's what I get for writing messages at 6:30 in the morning 😬

Just now, Habsfan89 said:

As much as I hope not but I think he's done upgrading the D

For absolutely no reason I have a funny feeling about Dumba in and Petry out ... but not for each other ... Domi+ for Dumba and Petry auctioned off to the highest bidder 

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

For absolutely no reason I have a funny feeling about Dumba in and Petry out ... but not for each other ... Domi+ for Dumba and Petry auctioned off to the highest bidder 

I think we got enough physical D on this team now that we don't need Dumba. But if we're going to upgrade the right side I wouldn't mind a guy like RISTOLAINEN. 

2 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I think we got enough physical D on this team now that we don't need Dumba. But if we're going to upgrade the right side I wouldn't mind a guy like RISTOLAINEN. 

On TSN690 this afternoon one of their TSN-TV guests said the Sabres are rumoured to have to cut 10 million real dollars from last season ... so don't know what they would want for Risto that would result in a real money reduction ... Sabres really can't really go full rebuild and have a happy Jack Eichel ... 

20 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

You know, Dumba was quite productive until he dropped off this season. I'm not sure I agree that he should be written off as a "defence only" guy.

Rumours are flying hard in Van about a Boeser-Dumba move. One could argue that that makes sense for both sides.

Count me among those who don't see MB getting especially creative with the D. I suspect we will stand pat and hope the Czar looks good.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

On TSN690 this afternoon one of their TSN-TV guests said the Sabres are rumoured to have to cut 10 million real dollars from last season ... so don't know what they would want for Risto that would result in a real money reduction ... Sabres really can't really go full rebuild and have a happy Jack Eichel ... 

If they're cutting money then picks and prospects and young NHL ready players or players on friendly contracts are what they're looking for.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

well.  If they want to cut $10m, we could take Eichel off there hands😁

3 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

If they're cutting money then picks and prospects and young NHL ready players or players on friendly contracts are what they're looking for.

That would seem to make sense ... BUT ... it doesn't help keep Eichel happy ... Jack was rumoured to be very frustrated with missing the playoffs for the FIFTH straight season ... OR, in other words, his entire NHL career to date ... if they move their #1 defenceman (TOI leader by 3:18 minutes per game over Montour. 3:30 over Dahlin) for picks and prospects (NHL ready are still unproven so IMO prospects) it clearly signals a rebuild ... feel sorry for Kevin Adams ... no experience on the hockey operations side, one year as Senior Vice President of Business Administration ... no assistant GM as yet or senior advisors ... only ONE pro scout ... hopefully MB is calling him twice a day and becoming his best friend.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

well.  If they want to cut $10m, we could take Eichel off there hands😁

Unless they can improve the team significantly he may be the one "asking" for a trade ... 

18 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

That would seem to make sense ... BUT ... it doesn't help keep Eichel happy ... Jack was rumoured to be very frustrated with missing the playoffs for the FIFTH straight season ... OR, in other words, his entire NHL career to date ... if they move their #1 defenceman (TOI leader by 3:18 minutes per game over Montour. 3:30 over Dahlin) for picks and prospects (NHL ready are still unproven so IMO prospects) it clearly signals a rebuild ... feel sorry for Kevin Adams ... no experience on the hockey operations side, one year as Senior Vice President of Business Administration ... no assistant GM as yet or senior advisors ... only ONE pro scout ... hopefully MB is calling him twice a day and becoming his best friend.

I think they look at DAHLIN as a number one D going forward. Which is why RISTOLAINEN may want out. But buffalo is a disaster of a organization. I think everyone there is unhappy. Doesn't seem to matter what they do it doesn't pan out.

2 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

I think they look at DAHLIN as a number one D going forward. Which is why RISTOLAINEN may want out. But buffalo is a disaster of a organization. I think everyone there is unhappy. Doesn't seem to matter what they do it doesn't pan out.

Issue is ownership.  Been a mess since Lafontaine got screwed over.