Game Thread | Islanders vs. Canadiens | 10/22/05

Spider-Man NL

Originally posted by Mont Royale

It seems we are always playing to the level of our opposition. NYI shouldn't be in the game, but whenever we get the lead (not just this game, but others this year too) we seem to give up the next goal rather than going for the kill.

What gives?

Islanders are better than you think. I had the same mindset as you about this team but they find ways to claw back and win. A tough team because they can skate well.

Montreal will just have to stop taking dumb penalties which Koivu should never have taken!

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there were no OT Loss they'd be bombing the season again (I knew they'd do bad this season - save the "it's-too-early-to-tell" posts for another time) not that they're doing great anyway.

I predicted 3-2 Isles I'm getting frightfully closer to what I hope is wrong.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

But the refs gave the Isles a bad penalty in the first period too. I don't think we scored though. The guy slashed Bonk's stick out of his hands but he only made contact with the stick, he never touched Bonk.

Two disallowed goals and 1 bullshit call which led to a goal for the other team! With real refs, it's 4-1 Habs.

That is called slashing and is a penalty. Common call when a stick is broken.

Originally posted by dark_faerie87

Is Pittsburgh ever going to get it together and win a game? Shots are 37-9 in favor of the Bruins after 2 and the score is 5-1.

is the defense on the holidays?

If that continues, the big hype and hope in the steel city is going to float just like the steel it's famous for

Originally posted by shortcat1
Originally posted by dark_faerie87

Is Pittsburgh ever going to get it together and win a game? Shots are 37-9 in favor of the Bruins after 2 and the score is 5-1.

is the defense on the holidays?

If that continues, the big hype and hope in the steel city is going to float just like the steel it's famous for

I think they've been on holidays all season. I can't believe some people predicted these guys as contenders. They might have offense, but it's an offense styled in Rag$ fashion, in other words, no chemistry.

Islanders are better than you think. I had the same mindset as you about this team but they find ways to claw back and win. A tough team because they can skate well.

A tough team because their goaltender is hot right now.

In close games, having Zednik would help so much. He has a knack for scoring big goals.

Aside from Kovalev and Koivu, this team's scoring heavily relies on rookies/sophmores like Ryder, Ribeiro, and Perezhogin right now. That's why Perreault should have been kept for another year. The depth would have helped during injuries.

[Edited on 2005/10/23 by Ribeiro]

Crosby and Lemieux are playmakers so you'd expect chemistry. Especially with Recchi. But age is on their heels and Gonchar finally scored his first goal tonight. A goal in seven games is not all that great for an offensive defenceman. I don't even know why he is a defenceman; he can't play defence but CAN play offence.

good come-back by the islanders but I still believe that they're just having the results of their few chances actually going in while montreal's hitting the dipietro wall

only one of those two goals was even close to being théodore's fault. the other one was a massive screen

Originally posted by simonus

sox had man on second. double, run scored.

3-1 Sox, bottom of the 2nd.

I love your signature, simonus... very neat!!!:D:D:D

philly 2 leafs 1 - end of 2

Leafs are spending lots of time on the PK - 7 minors so far. Finally Philly took 2 penalties late in the 2nd giving the Leafs a 5-3 advantage. During their 2 man advantage the Leafs gave up a 2 on 1 break and Richards scored to make it 2-1. :lol:

good come-back by the islanders but I still believe that they're just having the results of their few chances actually going in while montreal's hitting the dipietro wall

only one of those two goals was even close to being théodore's fault. the other one was a massive screen

Yeah, you really can't blame him for the tying goal. I believe we're going to come out flying in the third and pop a couple goals home.

Originally posted by Ribeiro

In close games, having Zednik would help so much. He has a knack for scoring big goals.

Aside from Kovalev and Koivu, this team's scoring heavily relies on rookies/sophmores like Ryder, Ribeiro, and Perezhogin right now. That's why Perreault should have been kept for another year. The depth would have helped during injuries.

Agreed. I liked what Perreault brought to the team. It's easy to underestimate the value of something as simple as winning the faceoff, but it creates momentum for the team that does it. Not to mention the key goals that he could contribute.

Originally posted by Peter Puck

philly 2 leafs 1 - end of 2

Leafs are spending lots of time on the PK - 7 minors so far. Finally Philly took 2 penalties late in the 2nd giving the Leafs a 5-3 advantage. During their 2 man advantage the Leafs gave up a 2 on 1 break and Richards scored to make it 2-1. :lol:

That's priceless! Yay for Philly, the leaf killers!

Originally posted by Ribeiro

we've run into a whole string of 'hot' goalies - dipietro, belfour, what's his name, the back-up for Ottawa. even raycroft was hot - without him, the score would have been way higher for montreal

3rd's on go, go, go, gooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

another close one by koivu

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

On the replay I'm still sure Koivu scored.

not to be obnoxious again, but i saw the puck hit the inside of the post but not in

habs pp - should have had another one earlier, I think