Game Thread | Islanders vs. Canadiens | 10/22/05

Spider-Man NL

Originally posted by TheMaxDaddy

Who cares who playing slightly better than who, right now. Play well enough to finish in the top 8, then turn it up a notch in April.

and, as above, i expect that this will be the case :D:D:D

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm back, beautiful sunny day in Tokyo, like Montreal summer here. Glad we won.

And despite what TSN or anyone else says we are better than the Leaf this year, so far anyhow, we are ahead in the standings and like the statistics maven simonus said the 9-1 rout of the TrashCans doesn't indicate a trend.

But it would be nice if the Habs could win a couple by more than a single goal...

Originally posted by JeanLucPilon

I'm back, beautiful sunny day in Tokyo, like Montreal summer here. Glad we won.

And despite what TSN or anyone else says we are better than the Leaf this year, so far anyhow, we are ahead in the standings and like the statistics maven simonus said the 9-1 rout of the TrashCans doesn't indicate a trend.

But it would be nice if the Habs could win a couple by more than a single goal...

yes, it certainly would

that's what i love about this place! it's always that someone's just stumbling home real late, another person's having morning tea, while the rest are watching or listening to the game!

but it's always bleu blanc rouge time for all of us!

:hlogo:

That's pretty easy to say after you win the game.

No, I clearly stated that people should stop complaining about refereeing, whether they win or not.

If Montreal loss, I could still careless about the officiating because it wasn't that bad, especially considering that the Referees still have to deal with new rules.

No actually he was terrible.

Yeah, he's "always terrible."

Unless he gets a shutout. Even then, he looked, "shaky", and he should "thank his defensemen who saved his ass."

3 goals on 22 shots is not a good save %.

New rules, new style of play, 3 goals doesn't mean the goaltender was "terrible." Stop looking at the box score and start watching the game.

I was just reading the article by A Concerned Fan and noticed he wrote exactly what I was thinking: http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=942

Theodore: A solid performance, honestly.While there are those who will look at just the stats, the reality is his game looked MUCH better tonight than it has in a while. He was squared to the shooter far more, and he cut down his angles well. The third goal, however, is the one that he has to cut out of his game. Letting in those easy ones will sooner or later deflate the team a little. However, at least that one was the exception and not the rule tonight. Much better positioning. B

[Edited on 2005/10/23 by Ribeiro]

Originally posted by DJ_Laszlo

I've been out partying and I just came home but ###### WE RULE!!!!!

:ghg:

so, how was the wedding party?

((Related to previous imputs within this post))

Toronto are so far, doing ovbiously better than some had anticipated them to do,....if you where one of those,..than you must be surprised.

We could say the same thing about our Habs,....WE are not surprised,..but many are.

Both teams have to solve a similar amount, but different type of weaknesses and work at making their team better than the sum of their respective parts....the one that will succeed the best at doing just that,..will be the better team,....and only time will tell.

But for now, I realised that Sundin is a big piece missing and that Zednick is a different story....not a small one,...but less important.

So the Ugly team has been doing very well without Sundin and should be quite improved upon his return.

And then there is Buffallo,....yaaa,.a very strond North-East division.

[Edited on 2005/10/23 by PB]

A small comment on the upcoming habs/flyers game.

Again, I looked at the standings and, really, there isn't much of a difference between the two. By that I mean that the flyers are not, at the moment, the dominating team that they're expected to be. They have essentially the same record as the canadiens. They have fewer points but they also have fewer games played. Their goals for/against differential is essentially similar to montreal's.

sooooooooooooooooo, this game shouldn't be feared as some might expect it to be.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

Observations and Questions for the Habsworld members:

Dags on the fourth line: 5:47 of ice time, no shots, no penalties. So basically nothing new to add to the Should Dags Stay? argument. (But we'll beat this topic to death, resurrect it, and beat it to death again anyway)

Moving on, glad to see Kovalev get a REAL goal this game. I'm very excited about this first line, whether it be Perez or Zednik on the LW.

I'm glad that the BBB line was so successfull tonight, but I'd rather Begin back on the 4th. Bulis has the energy for the 3rd line, Begin is unnessesary. I'd rather Higgins/Plekanec/Sunny get the ice time, while Begin anchors the 4th. Quick poll: Can anyone think of a better 4th liner than Begin?

Bouillon had more ice time than everybody but Kovalev. Has he made the jump from 7th defenceman to daily bottom pairing D at the NHL level?

Who does Komo replace on the Habs D in the next 2 years, Rivet or Souray? (That's based on style of hockey, not who y'all want out.)

Someone puts a gun to your head and says "Trade a rookie habs!" Who do you ship out? (Bonus: For who?)

Just a few things I'd like everyone's opinion on.

Originally posted by shortcat1

A small comment on the upcoming habs/flyers game.

Again, I looked at the standings and, really, there isn't much of a difference between the two. By that I mean that the flyers are not, at the moment, the dominating team that they're expected to be. They have essentially the same record as the canadiens. They have fewer points but they also have fewer games played. Their goals for/against differential is essentially similar to montreal's.

sooooooooooooooooo, this game shouldn't be feared as some might expect it to be.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

The only thing I fear is the amount of goals the Flyers can score in any given night. YEs they may be big but speed kills in the new NHL and they do have it on their teams forward lines.

Outside of one bad goal tonight Theo did make some steady consistant plays in the net by covering rebounds. I expect him in net for the Flyers and probably Danis the game after.

Nice being 6 - 2 at this stage of the season. These are big points which the team probably will need for a better playoff position. Go Habs!

Originally posted by Trizzak

Dags on the fourth line: 5:47 of ice time, no shots, no penalties. So basically nothing new to add to the Should Dags Stay? argument. (But we'll beat this topic to death, resurrect it, and beat it to death again anyway)

Moving on, glad to see Kovalev get a REAL goal this game. I'm very excited about this first line, whether it be Perez or Zednik on the LW. I'LL VOTE FOR PEREZHOGIN! HE'S MORE OF A TEAM/LINE PLAYER

I'm glad that the BBB line was so successfull tonight, but I'd rather Begin back on the 4th. Bulis has the energy for the 3rd line, Begin is unnessesary. I'd rather Higgins/Plekanec/Sunny get the ice time, while Begin anchors the 4th. Quick poll: Can anyone think of a better 4th liner than Begin? DOES THAT MEAN THAT HIS ICE-TIME WILL BE ACCORDINGLY CUT BACK?

Bouillon had more ice time than everybody but Kovalev. Has he made the jump from 7th defenceman to daily bottom pairing D at the NHL level? TOP FOUR MAYBE?

Who does Komo replace on the Habs D in the next 2 years, Rivet or Souray? (That's based on style of hockey, not who y'all want out.) MOOT QUESTION

Someone puts a gun to your head and says "Trade a rookie habs!" Who do you ship out? (Bonus: For who?) DANIS FOR DIPIETRO (dream on)

Originally posted by shortcat1

I'm glad that the BBB line was so successfull tonight, but I'd rather Begin back on the 4th. Bulis has the energy for the 3rd line, Begin is unnessesary. I'd rather Higgins/Plekanec/Sunny get the ice time, while Begin anchors the 4th. Quick poll: Can anyone think of a better 4th liner than Begin? DOES THAT MEAN THAT HIS ICE-TIME WILL BE ACCORDINGLY CUT BACK?

Depending on his linemates...yes.

Who does Komo replace on the Habs D in the next 2 years, Rivet or Souray? (That's based on style of hockey, not who y'all want out.) MOOT QUESTION

If my defintion of the word moot is correct, then I believe that's the point of asking it...

But fine, the question is a tad unfair.

Originally posted by Trizzak

coach must like Dags or something anyway he's big and can shoot, has his place I guess

Moving on, glad to see Kovalev get a REAL goal this game. I'm very excited about this first line, whether it be Perez or Zednik on the LW.me too!

I'm glad that the BBB line was so successfull tonight, but I'd rather Begin back on the 4th. Bulis has the energy for the 3rd line, Begin is unnessesary. I'd rather Higgins/Plekanec/Sunny get the ice time, while Begin anchors the 4th. Quick poll: Can anyone think of a better 4th liner than Begin?I think Begin is becoming my favorite Hab -- can anyone think of a more widely-liked player on the team?

Bouillon had more ice time than everybody but Kovalev. Has he made the jump from 7th defenceman to daily bottom pairing D at the NHL level?Can't watch the games but seems size is less important in the new NHL, for defencemen too, so maybe. My impression is Boullion is like a Begin, homeboy loves to play for the team.

Who does Komo replace on the Habs D in the next 2 years, Rivet or Souray? (That's based on style of hockey, not who y'all want out.)Rivet's contract is the biggest strike against him, can Komi be a locker room leader?

Someone puts a gun to your head and says "Trade a rookie Hab!" Who do you ship out? (Bonus: For who?)a rookie? -- I'd trade Hossa (hehehe)

Since this is a game tread, a few comments on the game...

1. Habs won this game with hard work and great skating....there is enough talent on this team to play with any team in the league, havn't been able to say that in a while.

2. When the goal was dissallowed, former Habs squads may have fallen apart, but this team plays on...same with the late tying goal by Islanders...this Habs team has the confidence to stay level headed and play on.

3. Theodore has looked better the past 2 games, but is still down way early, he has to work on that...but his play is much more encouraging as of late...still like to see Danis get into more games...

4. Sheldon Souray needs to be demoted, he needs more time to work on his game before he can be effective on PK and PP...give his minutes to Komisarik please! Souray is a better fir as 5th or 6th d-man right now.

5. Perezoigin, Plekanik and Higgens have been great! I hope Perezoigen gets to stay on the 1st line when Zednik gets back...in fact, I'm hoping Julien puts Zed with Bonk and Bulis for a few games while he gets his legs back. Man, next years camp, with Latendresse, Chipchura and Kostitsin knocking on the door, is going to be very interesting...

6. Despite being held off the scoresheet, Ryders game is returning...whew, good to see.

Well, that was an awesome game by the habs. too bad i didnt think it shouldve beeen a 1 goal game. we shouldve won by at least 2. im pretty sick and tired of outplaying a team, then getting a penalty and giving up a gaol. by the way, although SRC no longer has "la soiree de hockey" goin, they stilled played the game branched through RDS, so i still got to see it!!:)

GO HABS GO !!

Originally posted by habsfan88

Well, that was an awesome game by the habs. too bad i didnt think it shouldve beeen a 1 goal game. we shouldve won by at least 2. im pretty sick and tired of outplaying a team, then getting a penalty and giving up a gaol. by the way, although SRC no longer has "la soiree de hockey" goin, they stilled played the game branched through RDS, so i still got to see it!!:)

GO HABS GO !!

I'm glad for you. In northern ontario, src showed the movie 'chicago' in french (obviously)

"No, I clearly stated that people should stop complaining about refereeing, whether they win or not. If Montreal loss, I could still careless about the officiating because it wasn't that bad, especially considering that the Referees still have to deal with new rules. "

These guys don't need excuses for making bad calls against Montreal. They have done this since the beginning of the NHL.

The new rules are going to be discovered to be nothing more than a way of increasing scoring to help market hockey to people that aren't interested in the southern states.

They'll do the balancing act too because the games aren't as interesting if the outcome is a forgone conclusion (again marketing). There will always be exceptions (TO VS Atlanta).

In the end look for the team that has the bigger market share to get the momentum swinging penalties. Remember the Calgary Tampa series? I said it then and I'll say it again Calgary was cheated. Look at the way the penalties were called, timing, players selected, consecutive order and you'll see the pattern. There was the disallowed goal in the sixth game that would have given the series to Calgary in Calgary.

Some teams will defy the odds, afterall Calgary did to get there but in the end it wasn't enough. The balancing act should in theory still let the better team win so long as the penalties aren't manufactured in a way to swing the balance.

And you'll never see an all Canadian final! The loss in TV contracts and advertizing in the States would put Bettman's panties in a twist.

Haha, sorry can't help the complaining when I see bad calls or missed ones all night. These games get me pretty excited. Nothing's better than when we defy the odds for the win.

Complaining doesn't change anything but it is nice to vent in a sympathetic community. We get enough bias from the anti-habs TSN.

See all the Leafs complaining about the Philly game, Tuckers disallowed goal.

Hahahahaha

[Edited on 2005/10/23 by Lister110]

The hooking calls have been pretty good for the most part, I'll give them that. It is now on a par with highsticking to the face (which if you were watching the game you would have seen them miss on Souray when he ate a good piece of lumber).

Now if the could reach the same effect on obstruction and holding of small players the Habs would be laughing. And of course calling penalties when they happen and not when the balancing act demands it.

Originally posted by Lister110

"No, I clearly stated that people should stop complaining about refereeing, whether they win or not. If Montreal loss, I could still careless about the officiating because it wasn't that bad, especially considering that the Referees still have to deal with new rules. "

These guys don't need excuses for making bad calls against Montreal. They have done this since the beginning of the NHL.

The new rules are going to be discovered to be nothing more than a way of increasing scoring to help market hockey to people that aren't interested in the southern states.

They'll do the balancing act too because the games aren't as interesting if the outcome is a forgone conclusion (again marketing). There will always be exceptions (TO VS Atlanta).

In the end look for the team that has the bigger market share to get the momentum swinging penalties. Remember the Calgary Tampa series? I said it then and I'll say it again Calgary was cheated. Look at the way the penalties were called, timing, players selected, consecutive order and you'll see the pattern. There was the disallowed goal in the sixth game that would have given the series to Calgary in Calgary.

Some teams will defy the odds, afterall Calgary did to get there but in the end it wasn't enough.

Complaining doesn't change anything but it is nice to vent in a sympathetic community. We get enough bias from the anti-habs TSN.

[Edited on 2005/10/23 by Lister110]

Good grief, Lister... you're proposing a conspiracy here.

I refuse to accept something like that. First, such things are usually not true and all they end up doing is keep our minds busy with searching out the unfindable or the non-existant. Second, even if there was grain of truth in that observation, the emotional and psychological effort to try and sort it all out will bring about more 'self-destruction' than concrete results.

I'm not saying that, if you feel that this is true, you shouldn't try to do anything about it or forget about it. I'm simply saying that you shouldn't just rant about it, that won't help anything or anyone. You would do best by being constructive about it (a survey of the penalties, their distribution and any possible bias?