Game Thread | Islanders vs. Canadiens | 10/22/05

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here comes some mud stirring.

i just looked at the standings and, based upon what i see, i have to conclude that the leafs are playing better than montreal right now.

why?

1) montreal has 12 points (6 wins, 2 losses) and the leafs have 10 points (4 iwins, 2 losses and 2 overtime losses - on the shoot-out) those two overtime losses could have gone Toronto's way so, let's give them one more hypothetical point = 11 - inconsequential point difference

2) montreal's goals for/against record is 25 / 21 - only a +4 (with 5 1-goal wins)

toronto's goals for/against record is 34 / 28 - a +6 (with more decisive wins)

so, based upon that, i do believe that toronto is playing better - not a whole lot better but better - much better than expected, especially by us

that's ok - it's a long season and things can change and if, as we think, montreal is better, it'll come out that way

Originally posted by shortcat1

i just looked at the standings and, based upon what i see, i have to conclude that the leafs are playing better than montreal right now.

why?

1) montreal has 12 points (6 wins, 2 losses) and the leafs have 10 points (4 iwins, 2 losses and 2 overtime losses - on the shoot-out) those two overtime losses could have gone Toronto's way so, let's give them one more hypothetical point = 11 - inconsequential point difference

2) montreal's goals for/against record is 25 / 21 - only a +4 (with 5 1-goal wins)

so, based upon that, i do believe that toronto is playing better - not a whole lot better but better - much better than expected, especially by us

that's ok - it's a long season and things can change and if, as we think, montreal is better, it'll come out that way

Decisive wins and decisive losses. And we have 12 points not 10.

And Theo looked bad on the Satan goal, and that last Yashin goal. He didn't look good at all.

No, he actually looked perfectly fine. That last goal was a double deflection.

Were you that guy who called into CJAD whining about Theodore, and then got told off?

Originally posted by simonus

well whenever they reschedule that OTT game it will be inconvenient for them.

we can't pin our hopes on stuff like that. we have to put our horses on good play and lots of heart

So... anyone else have an issue with the refereeing tonight?

The Refereeing was fine.

Why are people always so unsatisfied with referring (unless their team gets 20 powerplays)?

The Officials are dealing with new rules and a new style of play. Let them figure it out and stop with the whining.

You haven't seen bad officiating until you've seen an NBA playoff game.

Originally posted by lazy26

So... anyone else have an issue with the refereeing tonight?

not really - they'll make mistakes like the players do and like we do - i always expect that it generally balances out in the end

IF, in the end, it's decisive against us, for example, it's because we let the situation get to the point that a call or some calls will make a difference. If our play and lead are sufficient, missed calls or bad calls shouldn't make a difference

That was bad reffing.

-A goal that counted was disallowed for two non-existent reasons.

-The penalties were messed up for both teams. More us than them though.

- They also screwed around with the clock and had no idea what they were doing in the final minute.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie
Originally posted by shortcat1

why?

Decisive wins and decisive losses. And we have 12 points not 10.

nope, bth - the regular-time loss to montreal was by 1 goal - the only multi-goal loss was to philly tonight

TO had one incredibly decisive win: 9-1 v. Thrashers. Take that away and they have a -2 goal differential. Most of the goals in the thrashers game were on the PP, skewing their special teams numbers. The leafs are also getting very badly outshot. Leafs are definitely playing above expectations, but not that well.

TO had one incredibly decisive win: 9-1 v. Thrashers. Take that away and they have a -2 goal differential. Most of the goals in the thrashers game were on the PP, skewing their special teams numbers. The leafs are also getting very badly outshot. Leafs are definitely playing above expectations, but not that well.

yes, that's true but, on the other hand, i could argue that they were able to come up with that 9-1 win when we could only come up with a 2-0 win - the other side of that coin

I didn't say that well. i said that they were playing better than the habs, not a lot better but better - better than was expected, especially by us

"Why are people always so unsatisfied with referring (unless their team gets 20 powerplays)? The Officials are dealing with new rules and a new style of play. Let them figure it out and stop with the whining. "

That's pretty easy to say after you win the game. The result doesn't change the officiating, it wasn't good.

If we get more penalties because we deserve them fine, but these days the refs make calls that they don't follow up with after. Bad reffing is arbitrary and unpredictable which is how it was tonight.

[Edited on 2005/10/23 by Lister110]

true, but we had a more defensive posture as a) thats more our style and B) we were backing up a rookie goaltender in his debut game.

Even if montreal had lost that game it wouldnt make a difference to my argument. My point is that it is an incredibly aberrant data point in their sample and thus to see an accurate pattern it makes sense to throw it out.

by the way, there's no shame in seeing that. the best kind of response would be 'ok, so they are' that's all - it's not the 'end of the world' nor is it mentally disrupting... it just is... that's all

true, but we had a more defensive posture as a) thats more our style and B) we were backing up a rookie goaltender in his debut game.

Even if montreal had lost that game it wouldnt make a difference to my argument. My point is that it is an incredibly aberrant data point in their sample and thus to see an accurate pattern it makes sense to throw it out.

you're the statistics guy, aren't you? the language you use seems to indicate it

Originally posted by Pierre the Great

well TO has a lot of question marks, and another fact is that the team is ancient in the 'new' nhl and they have the the china doll 'aka' eric lindros.

I like Montreal's chances to finish ahead of the leafs this year.

i'm not arguing against that, in fact, i'm expecting that this'll be the case by the end of the season but, for the moment, i still maintain that the leafs are outplaying the canadiens - big deal... so what?

Originally posted by Ribeiro

And Theo looked bad on the Satan goal, and that last Yashin goal. He didn't look good at all.

No, he actually looked perfectly fine. That last goal was a double deflection.

Were you that guy who called into CJAD whining about Theodore, and then got told off?

No actually he was terrible. Is that all you're expecting from Theo?? The first goal he looked like a pee wee the way Satan just walked around him. Made Theo look like a fool. The last goal was ridiculus, First of all Theodore was down on the ice a good 5 seconds before the shot (God I hate it when he does that) and then the shot went through his legs so slowly that it was shocking, like he purposely let it in. If he keeps playing like that I hope Julien sits him out. Luckily we have some guys that can score some goals to bail his ass out. 3 goals on 22 shots is not a good save %.

Well its up for debate, I say the refs tonight were not constant in their calls. They might keep a balance between the teams but that isn't fair officiating if one team commits more infractions.

To keep the balance you call light penalties on one team and ignore penalties on the other.

The officiating wasn't as bad as some games. We can thank the strength of our team for not letting the refs spoil the game.