Nick Suzuki named to NHL's All-Rookie Team

Trizzak

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

With this he also received an 'A' bonus of $212 500.

The last Habs player to be named to the All-Rookie team was Brendan Gallagher in 2012-2013.

And that is one of the reasons we’ve been the team we have been.

hopefully, Romanov and Caufield will join the club.

11 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

And that is one of the reasons we’ve been the team we have been.

hopefully, Romanov and Caufield will join the club.

It must be a miserable existence to click on a thread that is stating that our potential #1 center of the future made the all rookie team, only to focus on the fact we haven't had a player like that in a while. 

• Upvote 1

I thought Habs29's point was pretty fair. It's been a prospect desert in Montreal since Gally came up. Nice to see Suze and, to a lesser degree, KK, changing that narrative.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I thought Habs29's point was pretty fair. It's been a prospect desert in Montreal since Gally came up. Nice to see Suze and, to a lesser degree, KK, changing that narrative.

I see both sides, but what it underscores for me is how much of a crap shoot the majority of draft picks really are.

Habs have had some highly touted, well ranked prospects that never lived up to the expectations.

This is why I was personally against any idea of tanking for a chance at a higher draft pick (excluding the #1 pick though, but the odds were so small I didn’t think the gamble was worth the price of seeing Suzuki, KK and our dmen step up, as well as Price reminding us he is the real king by getting a little playin/playoff hockey).

The bird in the hand versus two in the bush type conversation, good points both ways.

1 hour ago, hockeyrealist said:

I see both sides, but what it underscores for me is how much of a crap shoot the majority of draft picks really are.

Habs have had some highly touted, well ranked prospects that never lived up to the expectations.

This is why I was personally against any idea of tanking for a chance at a higher draft pick (excluding the #1 pick though, but the odds were so small I didn’t think the gamble was worth the price of seeing Suzuki, KK and our dmen step up, as well as Price reminding us he is the real king by getting a little playin/playoff hockey).

The bird in the hand versus two in the bush type conversation, good points both ways.

Off the top of my head, since the last Cup win, the only highly touted/ranked possible draft failure for the Habs I can think of is Galchenyuk ... I say possible because he was a huge disappointment as a 3rd overall pick but 2012 was one of the worst in a long time for forwards at the high end ... Habs could have had Morgan Rielly, Hampus Lindholm, Matt Dumba or Jacob Trouba if they weren't so focused on the "future number 1 centre" or Filip Forsberg if they just wanted a goal scoring forward ... Komisarek and Kostitsyn were top 10 picks that had decent careers but were never elite ... the teens/twenties picks may have been highly touted by Habs and the media but not really by anyone else.

As for the "crapshoot" aspect, it certainly is ... but the randomness/risk only increases as you move down the draft board ... and there is also the overall prospect pool by draft year aspect.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Off the top of my head, since the last Cup win, the only highly touted/ranked possible draft failure for the Habs I can think of is Galchenyuk ... I say possible because he was a huge disappointment as a 3rd overall pick but 2012 was one of the worst in a long time for forwards at the high end ... Habs could have had Morgan Rielly, Hampus Lindholm, Matt Dumba or Jacob Trouba if they weren't so focused on the "future number 1 centre" or Filip Forsberg if they just wanted a goal scoring forward ... Komisarek and Kostitsyn were top 10 picks that had decent careers but were never elite ... the teens/twenties picks may have been highly touted by Habs and the media but not really by anyone else.

As for the "crapshoot" aspect, it certainly is ... but the randomness/risk only increases as you move down the draft board ... and there is also the overall prospect pool by draft year aspect.

Considering Kostitsyn’s draft class - he was one of the busts. He’s not who I wanted to draft, I liked him - always hoped for more, but he was one of those lots of tools, no tool box players.

it went all downhill fir him after that big story that was supposed to shake the foundations of the habs never actually materialized (The Kostitsyn brothers and  Hamrlik had a friendship with some unsavoury criminal element types, but it was no where near the story the Montreal media as trying to blew it to be).