2020 Buyouts - FA Bargain Bin?

GHT120

Senators to place Ryan on waivers for buyout

Could be worth a look as a 3-RW at a reasonable price for a short-term ... 5 goals in 24 games last season but 4 in the 8 games after he returned from re-hab ... 

9 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Senators to place Ryan on waivers for buyout

Could be worth a look as a 3-RW at a reasonable price for a short-term ... 5 goals in 24 games last season but 4 in the 8 games after he returned from re-hab ... 

We need to start big game hunting.  

• Like 1

I would sign him. The Habs gave a chance to Kassian, Thompson and seem to have good support for substance abuse players on the mend

Ryan has a higher upside that Kovalchuck, he can score when in full health 

Just now, hab29RETIRED said:

We need to start big game hunting.  

Wasn't suggesting him as a solution to the top 6 holes ... just as scoring depth ... no reason not to do both at the right price ... wouldn't compete for him for him though

Just now, GHT120 said:

Wasn't suggesting him as a solution to the top 6 holes ... just as scoring depth ... no reason not to do both at the right price ... wouldn't compete for him for him though

On third line with KK ?

I would like to see Bergevin be aggressive like he was for Edmundson and trade for the rights to Dadonov. If we can land him then I would take a gamble on Ryan.

Tatar  / Suzuki  / Gallagher 

Dadonov  / Kotkaniemi  / Drouin 

Ryan  / Danault  / Armia 

Lehkonen  / Poehling  / Byron 

Could be a pretty good offense.

3 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I would like to see Bergevin be aggressive like he was for Edmundson and trade for the rights to Dadonov. If we can land him then I would take a gamble on Ryan.

Tatar  / Suzuki  / Gallagher 

Dadonov  / Kotkaniemi  / Drouin 

Ryan  / Danault  / Armia 

Lehkonen  / Poehling  / Byron 

Could be a pretty good offense.

Evans instead of Poehling, to be sure.

But I'm not convinced that Ryan would even be a huge upgrade of Weal. And we would need to fit his salary into our cap -- he surely would not take the league minimum.

However, if we can get Dadonov first, I'm happy to have the discussion again at that point in time!

21 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

GHT120 , you are in Ottawa. What have you heard about Ryan lately.

di you think he can still score more than 20-25 ?

18 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

He has only scored 20 goals twice since the lockout.

As I see it, he has less potential than Armia. And he's already 33.

2 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

A floater well past his prime...pass.

Ryan was the toast of the Sens fanbase after his return ... many feel that his addiction issues explained his lowered performance ... since the lockout in 12/13 he has averaged 19.4 goals per 82 games, despite whatever impact the addiction had on his conditioning and "attitude/commitment/effort" ... wouldn't expect much more than 20 goals but as a 3rd line winger that would be fine IMO ... in the past 5 years (despite whatever else was going on) he has 16 PP goals ... amongst current Habs only Weber and Gallagher have more ... 

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

... But I'm not convinced that Ryan would even be a huge upgrade of Weal. And we would need to fit his salary into our cap -- he surely would not take the league minimum ...

Weal has never even cracked double digits ... so offensively he is a huge upgrade ... in "win now" mode (which I think Habs are in unless they move Price), he is IMO a solid pickup ... Ryan and Armia would give KK solid support in his continued development.

BUT, they key as you point out is cap-hit ... as I already said, I wouldn't get into a bidding war ... he would have to want to be in Montreal at a fair price

33 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Evans instead of Poehling, to be sure.

But I'm not convinced that Ryan would even be a huge upgrade of Weal. And we would need to fit his salary into our cap -- he surely would not take the league minimum.

However, if we can get Dadonov first, I'm happy to have the discussion again at that point in time!

Yeah  call me crazy but I think Dadonov would be a great fit in Montreal's line up. 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Ryan was the toast of the Sens fanbase after his return ... many feel that his addiction issues explained his lowered performance ... since the lockout in 12/13 he has averaged 19.4 goals per 82 games, despite whatever impact the addiction had on his conditioning and "attitude/commitment/effort" ... wouldn't expect much more than 20 goals but as a 3rd line winger that would be fine IMO ... in the past 5 years (despite whatever else was going on) he has 16 PP goals ... amongst current Habs only Weber and Gallagher have more ... 

thanks, that is more or less what I thought.

great to get your opinion on this 

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

thanks, that is more or less what I thought.

great to get your opinion on this 

Wish I had some insider info to offer ... but that might require more association with Sens fans than I want (LOL)

Plus I listen to TSN690 more than TSN1200.

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

Wish I had some insider info to offer ... but that might require more association with Sens fans than I want (LOL)

Plus I listen to TSN690 more than TSN1200.

same here, I am also in Ottawa but listen to TSN690 even on the radio (AM radio) when driving 

31 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

same here, I am also in Ottawa but listen to TSN690 even on the radio (AM radio) when driving 

Recently discovered that even my nearly 10 year old car has a jack to connect my iPhone to the stereo, and as I have lots of data on my plan I can listen via iHeart radio and get crystal clear sound

3 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

i wouldnt want Ryan either... we need a top offensive threat... to me only Dadanov and Hall fit that on the UFa market otherwise its trade front

Hoffman fits the bill as well

10 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Hoffman would be a good third line winger for the Habs, on a reasonable contract 

A guy who scored 36 goals in 18/19 and 29 in 19/20 (34g/82gm) is not signing for 3rd line money or a 3rd line role.