Petry Re-signed 4 yr, 6.25 per

revvvrob

That's all our top-six defencemen under contract for at least two years. Now, we have seven forwards who will need new contracts a year from now. Re-sign, trade or wait? Will be looking forward to some action on that front now.

14 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

37. Only two years older than Weber is now.

And six years younger than Chara is now. :)

I don't think Petry has had any major injuries and he is such a smooth skater that he won't deteriorate as quickly as others.  Plus he loves Montreal and wants to be here. A good signing.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

That's all our top-six defencemen under contract for at least two years. Now, we have seven forwards who will need new contracts a year from now. Re-sign, trade or wait? Will be looking forward to some action on that front now.

even if I had suggested trading Petry before. I am glad with the signing. Stabilized the D for the Weber - Price window

it also gives the prospects time to develop and gives MB a position of strength to negotiate contracts or to trade prospect and picks to solidify the team 

I'm glad we signed Petry.

Now, I'm probably in the minority here, but I find our D  quite weak overall.

It would take  Romanov or Norlinder to become ELITE  very very quickly for me not wanting to aquire a #1LD.

Without this LEGIT  #1 LD,   Chiarot, Kulak and anyone on the left side will always be in the wrong chair IMO.

I love Petry. He was always a decent rushing D-man, but he has aged like fine wine, turning into an elite d-man in his 30s.

I'm a bit nervous about the age factor. Not in a tizzy about it, but a bit concerned.

I said all along that MB would not get imaginative with the aging D - rather, he will continue with the status quo - and this is right in line with that.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I love Petry. He was always a decent rushing D-man, but he has aged like fine wine, turning into an elite d-man in his 30s.

I'm a bit nervous about the age factor. Not in a tizzy about it, but a bit concerned.

I said all along that MB would not get imaginative with the aging D - rather, he will continue with the status quo - and this is right in line with that.

There's a hint of worry, but it's a modest amount. I think four years is a perfect term to have him locked up without extending too deep into old waters.

8 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

There's a hint of worry, but its a modest amount. I think four years is a perfect term to have him locked up without extending too deep into old waters.

True, and even if we overpay on the back end a bit, we are saving on the front end, because Petry is more than a 6.25 mil defenceman in my opinion. He is an absolute stud #2 defender.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I I like the cap hit and term - thought it would be $7M+ and at least 5 years. Don’t like the NMC. Would have been nice to have. Limited NTC for the last two years.

Just now, Commandant said:

Petry, not Weber, is our best defenceman. 

Nothing against Weber, Petry is just better. 

On the ice, I agree. In the change room, Weber may have more of an impact. In any case, it's academic as Bergevin will surely not trade or expose Weber.

43 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

... Don’t like the NMC. Would have been nice to have. Limited NTC for the last two years.

Per The Athletic, he has a NMC and a 15-team NTC ... the NMC means he cannot be put on waivers (i.e., demoted to the AHL) or exposed in the expansion draft, trades are governed by the NTC ... same details as his current contract

24 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

So, which D will be protected in the expansion draft? Weber, Petry and ... Chiarot? Unless Kulak or Mete shows serious progress next season.

5 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

... In any case, it's academic as Bergevin will surely not trade or expose Weber.

A major factor could be Weber's health ... if he misses a significant number of games (***NOT*** predicting or expecting such), then approaching age 36 next summer he might not then be very interesting to Seattle ... or perhaps missed by the Habs if he were claimed (depending on the actual injury/injuries)

10 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

On the ice, I agree. In the change room, Weber may have more of an impact. In any case, it's academic as Bergevin will surely not trade or expose Weber.

the whole change room thing to me is so over blown... as long as your not a complete douche bag all that matters is how you perfrorm on the ice, and that you have your players back at all times! 

2 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

the whole change room thing to me is so over blown... as long as your not a complete douche bag all that matters is how you perfrorm on the ice, and that you have your players back at all times! 

Maybe. Roman Josi thinks differently, though:

"Coming up as a young kid and seeing Shea Weber practice every day, seeing him play every day - and then I got to play with him on a pairing - it was pretty cool," Josi said. "There's nothing better for a young kid to learn from a guy like him. He's one of those guys [who] definitely deserves to win the Norris, and he's just such a great person and such a great player to learn from. I was very lucky."

15 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

When Scotty bowman was told that a player was good in the room, can’t remember the precise response (it’s been around 15 years), he said something to the effect let him stay in the room.