2020 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

54 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Could Turris be a useful depth C for the Habs?

I’d rather avoid him. If KK or Suzuki regress, Turris isn’t going to be the answer.

Lias Anderson got moved by the rangers.  That’s one of the two “bust” players I would have like to take a flyer on (the other being Puljujarvi).

4 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Lias Anderson got moved by the rangers.  That’s one of the two “bust” players I would have like to take a flyer on (the other being Puljujarvi).

Puljujarvi just re-signed with Edmonton so they're not trading him.  Andersson got moved to the team that his father works for and I can't help but think that's not a coincidence.

18 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Puljujarvi just re-signed with Edmonton so they're not trading him.  Andersson got moved to the team that his father works for and I can't help but think that's not a coincidence.

Missed the Puljujarvi signing. With Andersson, it shows he was available at a not too steep a price.

Senators announce they will not tender Anthony Duclair ... his qualifying offer would have had to be $1.65M ... I live in Ottawa and do not recall any particular issues with him (although I do tend to ignore the Sens) ... he was on pace for 28 goals (per 82 games) ... Dorion even said he offered a new contract with a raise, but Duclair declined ... are they THAT afraid of arbitration?  ... at the right price would he be a useful top 9 LW?

35 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Senators announce they will not tender Anthony Duclair ... his qualifying offer would have had to be $1.65M ... I live in Ottawa and do not recall any particular issues with him (although I do tend to ignore the Sens) ... he was on pace for 28 goals (per 82 games) ... Dorion even said he offered a new contract with a raise, but Duclair declined ... are they THAT afraid of arbitration?  ... at the right price would he be a useful top 9 LW?

His goal total could push him over the $3M mark in arbitration and he isn't worth anywhere near that much.  I have no interest in Duclair.  There's a reason he has bounced around and now the one team that he played well for is letting him walk for free.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

$3M ... for two years?

He can score (50-point pace this past season), but he has definitely not been consistent, and has bounced around. Is he a Max Domi 2.0?

Duclair you're talking about there?  I'd be utterly shocked if he got that much (or a two-year deal for that matter).  With him falling off a cliff in the second half and the baggage, I don't think there will be all that much interest in him.

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

Duclair you're talking about there?  I'd be utterly shocked if he got that much (or a two-year deal for that matter).  With him falling off a cliff in the second half and the baggage, I don't think there will be all that much interest in him.

Yes, Duclair. He must be expecting he's worth even more than that, given that Ottawa didn't even bother tendering a qualifying offer.

Not sure if this was mentioned but Mikko Koivu intends to play next season. I think he would be a great fit on the 4th line and can fill in up the lineup in case of injuries. He's been a captain for a long time and the obvious Koivu connection make him a compelling option. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Yes, Duclair. He must be expecting he's worth even more than that, given that Ottawa didn't even bother tendering a qualifying offer.

Ottawa offered him a notable raise on his QO and it was still rejected.  They opted not to run the risk of an arbitration award in the $3M range as that would have been too high which is why he was non-tendered.  He'll be lucky to get the equivalent of what the Sens offered him on the open market.

Frederick Gauthier not tendered ... predict MB gives him a deal to stock up Laval (maybe one-way deal for league minimum if necessary to get him to sign)  ... its only money and $700K is meaningless on the cap unless he makes the team ... if that somehow happens he is a dirt cheap 4th ... if not he is a hugely popular Rocket.

La Presse predicts MB is looking at the following players tomorrow:

Zemgus Girgensons - left shot winger - 26 yrs-old, - 6'2', 211 lbs (12-7-19, in 69 games with Sabres)

Derek Grant - left shot centre - 30 yrs-old - 6'3", 206 lbs (15-10-25 in 56 games with Anaheim/Philly)

Joakim Nordstrom - left shot winger - 28 yrs-old - 6' 1", 194 lb (4-3-7 in 48 games with Boston)

Tomas Nosek - left shot centre/winger - 28 yrs-old - 6' 2", 205 lb (8-7-15 in 67 games with Vegas)

Tyler Pitlick - right shot winger - 28 yrs-old - 6' 2", 200 lb (8-12-20 in 63 games with Philly)

Wayne Simmonds - right shot winger - 32 yrs old - 6' 2", 185 lb (8-17-25 in 68 games with NJD and sabres)

Bigger, tougher 4th liners ... couple might fit in front of the net on the PP at times ... at the right (very low ... ideally bury-able) i'd look at Girgensons, Grant and Simmonds ... move/bury/dump Weal and Hudon ... add a couple of those guys and Evans is well surrounded ... Koivu might be another option and make a good mentor for Jake 

EDIT: Mark Jankowski not qualified by Calgary ... another big beefy winger ... 17 and 14 goals his first two seasons ... dropped to a pro-rated 7 last season ... his TOI also dropped from 13:21 to 12:42 to 11:06 ... if willing to accept a role at a decent price might be worth a shot

Only one centre in that list.

Then again, I expect this is just La Presse speculating about what Bergevin might want to add, not any inside knowledge about who they are planning to talk to.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Only one centre in that list.

Then again, I expect this is just La Presse speculating about what Bergevin might want to add, not any inside knowledge about who they are planning to talk to.

As is most any media report on Marc "I make the CIA look like a chatterbox" Bergevin

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

As is most any media report on Marc "I make the CIA look like a chatterbox" Bergevin

Yeah.

Unless we get a Hall or a Laine (very unlikely in my opinion) I expect Bergevin should be looking at someone that has substantial experience at centre but flexibility to play on the wing. That would also help make us a bit less vulnerable to injuries.

Darren Dreger and Elliotte Friedman  apparently have said they feel the habs are in the final three for Taylor Hall.

One (undoubtedly minor) factor that is rarely mentioned is his relationship with Bonlook Eyewear ... strange for a player who isn't from Quebec and never played for habs to the the "face" of a Montreal eyewear company 

2 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

Wennberg to be bought out by the jackets. Maybe that is a good signing for us?

I had read a rumor that they were thinking about buying him out.  Looks like it was true.  Before Alzner was bought out I was hoping Bergevin might be able to swing a one for one deal with the Jackets.  Alzner had one less year on his deal and an ever so slightly smaller cap hit.  I thought Turris from Nashville as well.  Was just bored and trying to figure out a way to offload Alzner for a more useful player without giving up a sweetner (or much of a sweetner).

3 hours ago, illWill said:

Not sure if this was mentioned but Mikko Koivu intends to play next season. I think he would be a great fit on the 4th line and can fill in up the lineup in case of injuries. He's been a captain for a long time and the obvious Koivu connection make him a compelling option. 

I wouldn't mind it.  A young team like the Habs can never have too many veteran leaders to help the youngsters.  I like the Saku connection as well.

Looking at tomorrow ... how long will the talking heads on TSN/Sportsnet/RDS/TVA/TSN radio/etc. have to "fill air" before a player miraculously reviews the contracts proposed to them, complete negotiations with their preferred team AND have the NHL register the pending contract as compliant with all required NHL and CBA rules?

If there is anything completed before 13:00 I will be suspicious of their not having been any talks before free agency officially opens ... but I expect it to be earlier than that.

Entirely cancelling the "discussion period" will (IMO) either make it obvious that the rules were broken ... OR ... render the opening of free agency anti-climatic as players could even require up to a day to fully evaluate offers and then go back-and-forth with GMs before finalizing their decision ... I understand the week of players parading around, or setting themselves up like royalty and accepting visits from "foreign dignitaries" was not ideal ... but teams should at least have been allowed to submit an offer to a players' agents yesterday or today so the evaluation process can be done before free agency opens tomorrow at noon so that the "legal" negotiations could be accelerated once allowed

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Looking at tomorrow ... how long will the talking heads on TSN/Sportsnet/RDS/TVA/TSN radio/etc. have to "fill air" before a player miraculously reviews the contracts proposed to them, complete negotiations with their preferred team AND have the NHL register the pending contract as compliant with all required NHL and CBA rules?

If there is anything completed before 13:00 I will be suspicious of their not having been any talks before free agency officially opens ... but I expect it to be earlier than that.

Entirely cancelling the "discussion period" will (IMO) either make it obvious that the rules were broken ... OR ... render the opening of free agency anti-climatic as players could even require up to a day to fully evaluate offers and then go back-and-forth with GMs before finalizing their decision ... I understand the week of players parading around, or setting themselves up like royalty and accepting visits from "foreign dignitaries" was not ideal ... but teams should at least have been allowed to submit an offer to a players' agents yesterday or today so the evaluation process can be done before free agency opens tomorrow at noon so that the "legal" negotiations could be accelerated once allowed

Contracts are quite standard in nature so that type of minutia isn't going to be a concern for them.  Agents will get the offers, relay it to the players and when agreed upon, leak it to the media while the team announces a deal.  It's often several days later that the contract is actually registered by the league; I think Chiarot was a three-day delay last year.  Look at what happened with Edmundson - the Habs announced the deal and then it got vetoed and quietly re-worked.  With a trade, it has to go through the league before a team can announce it but it's often leaked well in advance, rendering the official announcement anticlimactic.  There will be plenty of that tomorrow.

I anticipate there will be activity fairly quickly.  Perhaps not the big names coming off the board right away but some of the little guys who know there are only so many offers to go around are going to jump at the first offer they get that meets their number. 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic