2020 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

Actually, I would have liked Thornton on the Canadiens at that price, but I’m still holding out hope for a veteran center of less reputation that can still skater. 

41 minutes ago, PMAC said:

Actually, I would have liked Thornton on the Canadiens at that price, but I’m still holding out hope for a veteran center of less reputation that can still skater. 

The oldest forward currently is Byron at 31 and with longer term deals they are handing out, dont know if they would want to add him or a Kovalchuk?

Not a centre, but would you like to see Kovalchuk back at $700,000?

20 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Seems like a smart move to me ... after the progress KK made in the tournament best to have him playing real games ... it will let him "hit the ground running" at the start of TC ... 

There is much, MUCH excitement in Pori about seeing Kotkaniemi return, even if only for a few months.

https://twitter.com/PorinAssat/status/1317117369123221507?s=20

On 10/17/2020 at 8:03 AM, tomh009 said:

There is much, MUCH excitement in Pori about seeing Kotkaniemi return, even if only for a few months.

https://twitter.com/PorinAssat/status/1317117369123221507?s=20

That'll be great for the kid's confidence. Nice 👍

On 10/17/2020 at 5:15 AM, PMAC said:

Agree. The Habs will be acquiring a veteran C sooner or later. It just depends on whether they will do so before, or after, the need for one has become glaringly apparent on the ice.

On 10/17/2020 at 5:57 AM, DON said:

The oldest forward currently is Byron at 31 and with longer term deals they are handing out, dont know if they would want to add him or a Kovalchuk?

Given uncertainty about whether Toffoli can play LW, that might not be a terrible idea. A C is a higher priority in my book  though.

On 10/17/2020 at 8:57 AM, DON said:

At this point I would at most offer Kovalchuk a PTO and see how things shake out in TC.

I think an interesting name still out there that's a veteran and could be a good 4th line Center would be SÖDERBERG.  Or if you want to gamble a Little sign ATHANASIOU, he can play both wings and center.  Either guy Could be a good addition on the 4th line especially if they look at trading Byron to add cap space.

56 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I think an interesting name still out there that's a veteran and could be a good 4th line Center would be SÖDERBERG.  Or if you want to gamble a Little sign ATHANASIOU, he can play both wings and center.  Either guy Could be a good addition on the 4th line especially if they look at trading Byron to add cap space.

**IF** the cap gymnastics can allow, and MB waits them out, I wouldn't mind adding both on cheap contracts ... 

12 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

**IF** the cap gymnastics can allow, and MB waits them out, I wouldn't mind adding both on cheap contracts ... 

If we trade Byron and weal that would clear up about 5mil in cap space. I would add one or both of these guys on a cheap 1 year contract.

Lehkonen / Soderberg  / Athanasiou  could be a really nice gritty 4th line for us. Plus all 3 guys can move up the line up if they're any injuries.

9 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Or if you want to gamble a Little sign ATHANASIOU, he can play both wings and center.  Either guy Could be a good addition on the 4th line especially if they look at trading Byron to add cap space.

I know Athanasiou is listed as a centre having played there a bit early in his career but he's terrible in that role.  I also don't see him lasting more than a few weeks playing under Julien.  He hates playing defence with a passion and most players like that don't tend to have success under Julien.  He's also one that will whine about his role.  He's not a good fit on any fourth line as a result and especially not in Montreal where that line will be asked to take on some defensive responsibilities.

From TSN:

"One player who has held firm on his value and his belief is Mike Hoffman," Seravalli explained on Insider Trading. "Who is somewhere probably between $5.5 million and $6.5 million on a one-year deal. A guy who averages 27 goals a season. He can be had on that one-year deal. The teams that are most interested at this point are the Boston Bruins, the Columbus Blue Jackets and also the Nashville Predators. But other teams like the Habs, like the Canucks could be in the mix if they’re able to move pieces."

Thats interesting.  Apparently, Hoffman's agent claims there are 13 teams that are interested in him, even the Habs?   Hoffman puts up decent playoff numbers so it would make sense to get him if they could find a way. Not sure how they would fit him in and be under the cap.  Is MB trying to get rid of Tatar? 

It doesn’t make sense to get rid of Tatar. I understand that his contract is up at the end of the year, and I understand we did something similar with Pacioretty, however the direction the team is heading is a different one than when Pacioretty was shipped out. 

Tatar has been our best point getter over the past few seasons. If we were to acquire someone like Hoffman, it should be in addition to Tatar. The main reason Hoffman is attractive in addition to his goal scoring ability is the simple fact that we could use another top 6/9 left winger. Subtracting Tatar and adding Hoffman leaves us in a similar situation.

And while we would get something in return for Tatar, with that being the whole point of trading him, it would likely be for futures in this scenario since we would be doing it to offload salary. We are in more of a win-now mode so it doesn’t make sense to do it.

All that is to say, while I want Hoffman, it becomes extremely unlikely that this will happen based on the outcome you questioned. Every day I am rooting for it, but it simply will not happen.

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

From TSN:

Thats interesting.  Apparently, Hoffman's agent claims there are 13 teams that are interested in him, even the Habs?   Hoffman puts up decent playoff numbers so it would make sense to get him if they could find a way. Not sure how they would fit him in and be under the cap.  Is MB trying to get rid of Tatar?

The TSN Insider Trading blurb is from October 13th, just after Toffoli signed.  I don't see there being a realistic fit with the Habs, especially if he's still seeking something in that range.

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The TSN Insider Trading blurb is from October 13th, just after Toffoli signed.  I don't see there being a realistic fit with the Habs, especially if he's still seeking something in that range.

I'm pretty sure the article I read was from 2 days ago, which shocked me.  

I really only mentioned Tatar because he makes 5.5mil and if Hoffman would sign for that it would be even Steven 1 for the other.   It would require a bunch of juggling to do it any other way.  ex: trade Lehks and Chiarot, which likely wouldnt be a good idea.

I dont dislike Tatar, but I doubt he will be back after next year.  I have read numerous comments here saying that he doesnt show up in the playoffs.  I'm not 100% convinced on that, but they may have a valid point.  Hoffman seems to show up in the playoffs, so it might make sense to swap them if they make same money.  Plus, I could see the Habs being able to get rid of Tatar, even give him away for a 5th if they had to, if Hoffman would sign for 5.5. 

6 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I'm pretty sure the article I read was from 2 days ago, which shocked me. 

They may have just updated an old article -- that kind of thing happens all the time. :(

11 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

They may have just updated an old article -- that kind of thing happens all the time. :(

I know what you're saying, and updated articles will generally say that, and typically still have the original date.  The article reads like its recent though, but it could be old info they put into a new article.  At this point the only way I could see them getting Hoffman is by getting rid of Tatar. 

From Hoffmans standpoint, I could see him being interested in the Habs after the upgrades they've done so far.  Price is the best goalie, Habs dont score enough, but picked up two guys that might get 30g.  Hoffman would likely get 30+ and could potentially be their leading scorer, with 1-2 more than Gally.  With Hoffman the Habs might have a decent shot at winning the Cup.  Even if they dont win the Cup, if he is their top scorer it would be his 3rd team he's done that with so his next contract might be for 7-8mil vs 6.5. 

2 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I know what you're saying, and updated articles will generally say that, and typically still have the original date.  The article reads like its recent though, but it could be old info they put into a new article.  At this point the only way I could see them getting Hoffman is by getting rid of Tatar. 

From Hoffmans standpoint, I could see him being interested in the Habs after the upgrades they've done so far.  Price is the best goalie, Habs dont score enough, but picked up two guys that might get 30g.  Hoffman would likely get 30+ and could potentially be their leading scorer, with 1-2 more than Gally.  With Hoffman the Habs might have a decent shot at winning the Cup.  Even if they dont win the Cup, if he is their top scorer it would be his 3rd team he's done that with so his next contract might be for 7-8mil vs 6.5. 

I think Habs are done wheeling and dealing, other than moving some $$ by Jan. to meet the cap.

3 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I happened to be on PHR coverage at the time that Insider Trading piece came out and I remember writing about it - that's why I'm sure it was the 13th. https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2020/10/latest-on-mike-hoffmans-market.html

Since then, Elliotte Friedman had a tweet a few days later saying Hoffman was open to the one-year deal and then Adam Vingan's piece from The Athletic was on the 20th which cited the agent's comments.  Someone just put all of those things into one piece but the last time the Habs were mentioned specifically regarding Hoffman was Seravalli in Insider Trading on the 13th.

Congratulations Carey ... baby boy Lincoln joins the Habs fanbase

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGz-5IingSp/

On 10/24/2020 at 11:55 AM, DON said:

Hudon scratched, placed in preventative quarantine.

1st game for #93

From the highlights I saw KK threw a big hit, which could indicate he still has the physical edge he had in the playoffs ( I was a little worried his suspension might plant a seed of doubt).

when KK was drafted I never thought of him as a power forward, but the more time goes on the more he’s starting to develop into one

16 hours ago, Meller93 said:

From the highlights I saw KK threw a big hit, which could indicate he still has the physical edge he had in the playoffs ( I was a little worried his suspension might plant a seed of doubt).

I share that worry. The guy we saw in the playoffs was an unbelievable physical force...he needs to learn how to ride the line without crossing it, but I don't want him to err on the side of not throwing his weight around. We'll see what happens when the NHL resumes, but I love that he's playing competitive hockey in a less demanding but high-quality environment. It should help him to recover the comfort zone so that his confidence is at 100% come the season.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I share that worry. The guy we saw in the playoffs was an unbelievable physical force...he needs to learn how to ride the line without crossing it, but I don't want him to err on the side of not throwing his weight around. We'll see what happens when the NHL resumes, but I love that he's playing competitive hockey in a less demanding but high-quality environment. It should help him to recover the comfort zone so that his confidence is at 100% come the season.

I think i saw some Euro scout or such note Liiga is pretty weak overall this year and even no-names doing well. But, could be mis-remembering comment.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic