2020 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

Means nothing really ... but looks very cool

• Upvote 1

Best intentions don't always work out.

I'm not sure I'd even bother recalling Brook for NHL camp.  He has no shot at earning a spot and the expectation is attendees will be capped around 35 players.  Let him stay in Germany (unless he's one of the players leaving due to the coach leaving) and at least get some playing time in over recalling him to sit for more than a month while waiting for Laval's camp.

On 11/25/2020 at 7:11 PM, dlbalr said:

I'm not sure I'd even bother recalling Brook for NHL camp.  He has no shot at earning a spot and the expectation is attendees will be capped around 35 players.  Let him stay in Germany (unless he's one of the players leaving due to the coach leaving) and at least get some playing time in over recalling him to sit for more than a month while waiting for Laval's camp.

Tend to agree ... Brooks' first game he logged the most TOI (22 minutes) and had one assist

https://hockey30.com/nouvelles/a-son-premier-match-en-allemagne-josh-brook/

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

It looks like some progress is being made on the return to play front.  The NHL agreed to not tweak the financial framework and now there seems to be some hope that January 13th will be the start of the season.

Thank God

I was starting to believe the season would be canceled 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Thank God

I was starting to believe the season would be canceled 

Me too. And it seems like that would be an absolutely terrible business decision - potentially causing the league to lose ground in the North American marketplace. Plus, I think the "Canadian division" would be a lot of fun, and it would be a shame not to experience it at least once.

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’m hearing a lot of doubt about the Canadian division owing to variable provincial health restrictions.

If it fails, I will be really disappointed. :( 

Depends on how many provinces are a problem ... if, for example, just BC then all that is needed is to find the Canucks a new temporary home ... they might even be able to return to Vancouver at some point ... maybe somewhere that can/will accommodate entire families.

7 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Yeah I’m hearing BC is the problem and every other province is on board. 

Regina Canucks?

I'm thinking one of the other Canadian NHL cities ... makes scheduling those games VERY simple

15 minutes ago, DON said:

I don't want them to keep Primeau (needs to play games for development) or Demchenko (need to see how how adapts to "NHL" hockey jn game action ... McNiven is the only other choice and I would rather see him playing actual games somewhere as there is still the possibility that he improves ... Lindgren is, for better or worse, what he is, and therefore the perfect practice goalie to give Price a break.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I don't want them to keep Primeau (needs to play games for development) or Demchenko (need to see how how adapts to "NHL" hockey jn game action ... McNiven is the only other choice and I would rather see him playing actual games somewhere as there is still the possibility that he improves ... Lindgren is, for better or worse, what he is, and therefore the perfect practice goalie to give Price a break.

Generally I agree with the reasoning. But an additional twist is that Lindgren would need to clear waivers each time he is sent from the Habs to the taxi squad, whereas Demchenko, Primeau and McNiven are waivers-exempt. Maybe this is not a factor but ...

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I'm still half expecting Lindgren to be traded (for a one-way forward) in which case they could start with Primeau until the AHL season starts.  At that point, I'd probably have McNiven as the taxi squad player and if one of Price/Allen gets hurt, they can recall Primeau or Demchenko direct to the NHL roster and return McNiven to the taxi squad. 

I think McNiven still has some upside but there simply is no room for him to play this season with so many ECHL teams suspending operations; there won't be a place to loan him out.  If they keep him as the taxi squad guy, that at least throws him a small bone for having him basically sitting for the entire year.

Just now, tomh009 said:

Generally I agree with the reasoning. But an additional twist is that Lindgren would need to clear waivers each time he is sent from the Habs to the taxi squad, whereas Demchenko, Primeau and McNiven are waivers-exempt. Maybe this is not a factor but ...

He has cleared waivers before and I don't think there's any real risk that he'd be claimed this season.  I believe regular recall rules would apply so if he was sent down within a certain period of time, he wouldn't need to re-clear either.

12 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'm still half expecting Lindgren to be traded (for a one-way forward) in which case they could start with Primeau until the AHL season starts.  At that point, I'd probably have McNiven as the taxi squad player and if one of Price/Allen gets hurt, they can recall Primeau or Demchenko direct to the NHL roster and return McNiven to the taxi squad. 

I think McNiven still has some upside but there simply is no room for him to play this season with so many ECHL teams suspending operations; there won't be a place to loan him out.  If they keep him as the taxi squad guy, that at least throws him a small bone for having him basically sitting for the entire year.

If they can trade Lindgren I would agree ... it would allow McNiven to get NHL-level coaching ... might also be worthwhile looking into loaning him overseas for the year to get lots of games if nowhere else in the organization (especially if Lindgren sticks around)..

• dlbalr unpinned this topic