2020 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

14 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Can we use the taxi squad to manipulate the cap?

Not suggesting this but for example can we put Price on taxi squad to save 10 million in cap space?

The cap effects for someone on the taxi squad is the same as if a player is in the minors.  In other words, someone making less than $1.075M would be off the cap entirely if sent to the taxi squad.  Anyone making more (Weal, for example), will still count in part.

There is the potential for cap manipulation depending on how much a team wants to fill their full taxi squad.  The minimum is 4 players, the maximum is 6.  Do teams just put 4 players on there and then send waiver-exempt players back and forth on non-game days to bank cap space?  Players on the taxi squad are allowed to participate in practices with the NHL team so there isn't a ton of risk in doing that.

Let's use the Habs as an example.  They can afford to carry a 22-player roster, 13/7/2 if they send Weal down and recall cheap replacements.  If they only put 4 players on their taxi squad, they can shuffle two players back and forth.  Minimum roster size rules prohibit teams from going below 12 forwards and 6 d-men but Montreal could send Romanov (the only waiver-exempt D expected to make it) and one of Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, or Evans to the taxi squad on non-game days and bank a fair bit of cap room in the process.  You could even go to a bigger extreme and 'recall' a minimum-salaried player and send another of those three forwards down, banking a bit more space.  With the shorter season (116 days instead of 186), you can bank a lot more money than usual doing that.  (On the flip side, recalling someone also costs more per day than usual.)  Considering the Canadiens will probably enter the season with ~$8,000 in cap space, they should be doing a ton of this to buy themselves some wiggle room.

Come to think of it, this seems like a good idea for an article on the site...

32 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The cap effects for someone on the taxi squad is the same as if a player is in the minors.  In other words, someone making less than $1.075M would be off the cap entirely if sent to the taxi squad.  Anyone making more (Weal, for example), will still count in part.

There is the potential for cap manipulation depending on how much a team wants to fill their full taxi squad.  The minimum is 4 players, the maximum is 6.  Do teams just put 4 players on there and then send waiver-exempt players back and forth on non-game days to bank cap space?  Players on the taxi squad are allowed to participate in practices with the NHL team so there isn't a ton of risk in doing that.

Let's use the Habs as an example.  They can afford to carry a 22-player roster, 13/7/2 if they send Weal down and recall cheap replacements.  If they only put 4 players on their taxi squad, they can shuffle two players back and forth.  Minimum roster size rules prohibit teams from going below 12 forwards and 6 d-men but Montreal could send Romanov (the only waiver-exempt D expected to make it) and one of Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, or Evans to the taxi squad on non-game days and bank a fair bit of cap room in the process.  You could even go to a bigger extreme and 'recall' a minimum-salaried player and send another of those three forwards down, banking a bit more space.  With the shorter season (116 days instead of 186), you can bank a lot more money than usual doing that.  (On the flip side, recalling someone also costs more per day than usual.)  Considering the Canadiens will probably enter the season with ~$8,000 in cap space, they should be doing a ton of this to buy themselves some wiggle room.

Come to think of it, this seems like a good idea for an article on the site...

Hopefully they are exploring all options on how best to optimize their cap ... I recall the Flyers did a lot of "paper transactions" (i.e., the player never changed locker rooms) with the Philadelphia Phantoms a few years ago) ... but using Romanov, KK or Suzuki in such machinations could risk the relationship with the player as they receive less money when not on the NHL roster.

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

Hopefully they are exploring all options on how best to optimize their cap ... I recall the Flyers did a lot of "paper transactions" (i.e., the player never changed locker rooms) with the Philadelphia Phantoms a few years ago) ... but using Romanov, KK or Suzuki in such machinations could risk the relationship with the player as they receive less money when not on the NHL roster.

The Habs have done it a lot as well in recent years, though not with their top youngsters.  They won't have a choice with Romanov but that's why I think Evans could be the one that 'goes back and forth' among the forwards.  I used that combo in the article to illustrate the savings -  https://www.habsworld.net/2020/12/how-the-habs-can-best-utilize-the-taxi-squad/.

32 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The Habs have done it a lot as well in recent years, though not with their top youngsters.  They won't have a choice with Romanov but that's why I think Evans could be the one that 'goes back and forth' among the forwards.  I used that combo in the article to illustrate the savings -  https://www.habsworld.net/2020/12/how-the-habs-can-best-utilize-the-taxi-squad/.

Thanks for the explanation and article Brian. 

I wonder if it is worth risking a waiver player early on, thinking that others won’t pick them up and then they can be used to save in taxi? 

Perhaps Byron?

36 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Thanks for the explanation and article Brian. 

I wonder if it is worth risking a waiver player early on, thinking that others won’t pick them up and then they can be used to save in taxi? 

Perhaps Byron?

I think Byron would clear without much issue but the savings are still capped at $1.075M.  It's an option though as shuttling him back and forth would save a bit more than the ELC guys and Evans.

20 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I think Byron would clear without much issue but the savings are still capped at $1.075M.  It's an option though as shuttling him back and forth would save a bit more than the ELC guys and Evans.

Ah yes I forgot about the $1.075 limit 

This foils my plans to screw with the cap!

8 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Ah yes I forgot about the $1.075 limit 

This foils my plans to screw with the cap!

At least in major terms

11 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I live near leafland so the majority of media around me are pro leafs so it isn’t surprising that they pick them to finish first. 

What is irking me is they are also picking the Habs to finish sixth and I want to stick their noses in it 

But the Leafs have added JOE THORNTON and WAYNE SIMMONDS ... how can they not win

My hunch is that the fabled leadership of those two veterans will meet their match in Matthews, Marner and Nylander ... the Laffs will continue to be the offence first, second and third team that has flamed out against Boston for seventeen straight series.

14 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I live near leafland so the majority of media around me are pro leafs so it isn’t surprising that they pick them to finish first. 

What is irking me is they are also picking the Habs to finish sixth and I want to stick their noses in it 

But, could happen, with Habs in 6th and Leafs 1st.

I think only Sens should be pegged as a lock for basement and other six as toss up.

Will Leafs or Oilers have good enough defense and Flames, Jets, Habs and Canucks who can predict how injuries will play out.

So will 4 of the 7 make playoffs?

Looking at it dispassionately, I think the Leafs are the most talented team in the division and therefore a rational choice to pick to finish #1. 

Those who are dismissing the Habs are doing so on the basis that the Habs generally suck, rather than on a reasoned assessment of their actual roster, which is one of the stronger rosters on the list.

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Looking at it dispassionately, I think the Leafs are the most talented team in the division and therefore a rational choice to pick to finish #1. 

Those who are dismissing the Habs are doing so on the basis that the Habs generally suck, rather than on a reasoned assessment of their actual roster, which is one of the stronger rosters on the list.

My counter would be that the Leafs are undoubtedly a potential offensive juggernaut but a flawed "team"

1 hour ago, DON said:

But, could happen, with Habs in 6th and Leafs 1st.

It could also happen that the Habs finish first and the Leafs sixth. It's not likely but it's certainly possible.

The reason we play the regular season is to find out the real answer. :)

I think the new division plus short season plus playing the same team for 3 games in a row will result in different hockey than we are used to. 

I expect more of a playoff style hockey and we should be very strong due to our depth and size and speed. Hell if we can stay healthy we might fight for first. 

The leafs could go either way. Thornton is a premier passer for sure but will his lack of speed impede that to the point where he is useless? Are they gonna stack the lines again for maximum offence and suck defensively? Can they handle our large D pounding them 3 games at a time? 

Hoooooboy I am pumped for hockey 

One thing that is unknown as of yet is the impact of the Ontario shutdown on the start of the season. Quebec and Manitoba seem to be OK with this (and anything goes in Alberta) but in today's press conference Doug Ford was holding his cards close to his chest.

6 hours ago, GHT120 said:

My counter would be that the Leafs are undoubtedly a potential offensive juggernaut but a flawed "team"

Yeah, but when making prognostications it’s hard to give weight to “intangibles.” I’d probably go TO, Calgary, then Montreal in predicting the divisional ranking. EDM’s goaltending is a dog’s breakfast, WIN also seems a bit spotty, VAN has great young stars but lost some significant pieces, and OTT is OTT. 

8 hours ago, DON said:

So will 4 of the 7 make playoffs?

Yes, 4 teams from this division will make the playoffs.  In the first round, 1 will play 4 and 2 vs 3 with the winners playing in the second round.  The same will be in place for the other divisions as well, including all matchups being restricted to that division.

Once there are four teams remaining, they'll re-seed based on regular season points, 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3 with the winners going to the Final.  It will be possible for 2 East or West teams to meet up for the Stanley Cup this season.

Hockey30 reports that MB made an offer to Matt Martin when UFA season opened ... he is still unsigned ... MM played 4th line minutes last season for NYI, regular season (55 of 68 games) and playoffs (22 of 22 games) ... at 6'2", 220 lbs he would bring a great element to the 4th line were he MB's alleged outstanding target ... although he allegedly wants to stay with NYI

However, Hockey30 also reports that TSN1040 (Vancouver) says that MB is targeting Andreas Athanasiou ... I have read he is the antithesis of a Claude Julien player (disinterested defensively) ... got minimal PK time and no PP time with Edmonton last season, so no special team contributions ... but apparently great speed ... could help a 4th line intended to harass in the other teams zone

BUT ... we all know little that MB does is actually "known" before he does it ... most you usually get is (for example) speculation/analysis that Domi would make sense with CBJ and MB would likely be interested in Anderson.

Cayden is ready fo play in the AHL this season:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJGtrqshY78/?utm_source=ig_embed

Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 12.11.17 PM.jpg

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Hockey30 reports that MB made an offer to Matt Martin when UFA season opened ... he is still unsigned ... MM played 4th line minutes last season for NYI, regular season (55 of 68 games) and playoffs (22 of 22 games) ... at 6'2", 220 lbs he would bring a great element to the 4th line were he MB's alleged outstanding target ... although he allegedly wants to stay with NYI

However, Hockey30 also reports that TSN1040 (Vancouver) says that MB is targeting Andreas Athanasiou ... I have read he is the antithesis of a Claude Julien player (disinterested defensively) ... got minimal PK time and no PP time with Edmonton last season, so no special team contributions ... but apparently great speed ... could help a 4th line intended to harass in the other teams zone

BUT ... we all know little that MB does is actually "known" before he does it ... most you usually get is (for example) speculation/analysis that Domi would make sense with CBJ and MB would likely be interested in Anderson.

Would Athabasiou be an upgrade on Weal? Just asking, because I have no idea.

I’ve heard a few commentators now say that MB is “not done.” So another signing would not surprise me at all.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic