2020 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

How do we afford anyone else? Unless a trade is brewing?

Waivers (e.g., waive Weal ... lose him or bury $1.075 of his $1.4M in Laval) or trade ... OR ... someone could "opt-out" due to Covid concerns (contract rolls over into the 21-22 season)

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Waivers (e.g., waive Weal ... lose him or bury $1.075 of his $1.4M in Laval) or trade ... OR ... someone could "opt-out" due to Covid concerns (contract rolls over into the 21-22 season)

Don’t we need to bury his contact just to be cap compliant? 

8 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Hockey30 reports that MB made an offer to Matt Martin when UFA season opened ... he is still unsigned ... MM played 4th line minutes last season for NYI, regular season (55 of 68 games) and playoffs (22 of 22 games) ... at 6'2", 220 lbs he would bring a great element to the 4th line were he MB's alleged outstanding target ... although he allegedly wants to stay with NYI

However, Hockey30 also reports that TSN1040 (Vancouver) says that MB is targeting Andreas Athanasiou ... I have read he is the antithesis of a Claude Julien player (disinterested defensively) ... got minimal PK time and no PP time with Edmonton last season, so no special team contributions ... but apparently great speed ... could help a 4th line intended to harass in the other teams zone

BUT ... we all know little that MB does is actually "known" before he does it ... most you usually get is (for example) speculation/analysis that Domi would make sense with CBJ and MB would likely be interested in Anderson.

I've seen the Habs linked to Martin a couple of times but my understanding is that he's one of the veterans that has a handshake deal with the Islanders.  They're waiting to fill out their roster until Barzal signs which will give them a better idea of what they can do (regular or offseason LTIR for Boychuk).  Cory Schneider and Andy Greene are the others.

Calling Athanasiou disinterested defensively is putting it lightly.  He's allergic to the concept of defence.

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Would Athabasiou be an upgrade on Weal? Just asking, because I have no idea.

Offensively, by a considerable margin.  Defensively, he's not even close to Weal's level which is below average to begin with.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

As things stand, they need to waive Weal in order to be cap-compliant as it is.

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

If Weal is in the minors and Evans and 'random minimum salary forward' (let's say Belzile) are the recalls to get to a 13/7/2 roster, they can still upgrade on Belzile's spot.  They'll be limited to the minimum salary still but the role players left on the open market can't command big bucks.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

As DBlair points out that is true ... but if an upgrade of some sort is available I wouldn't be surprised to see MB look into moving Byron, Lehkonen or Armia ... PB has two more years at a substantial cap-hit for a player who will likely be a 4th liner for the Habs, he might well "cost" something to trade ... much as I like Armia he is a pending UFA and still carrying the "potential" label; he and Lehkonen might be the two easiest to move if additional cap space is needed ... depending on how others show in training camp Kulak might be another player that might be moveable if needed.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

As DBlair points out that is true ... but if an upgrade of some sort is available I wouldn't be surprised to see MB look into moving Byron, Lehkonen or Armia ... PB has two more years at a substantial cap-hit for a player who will likely be a 4th liner for the Habs, he might well "cost" something to trade ... much as I like Armia he is a pending UFA and still carrying the "potential" label; he and Lehkonen might be the two easiest to move if additional cap space is needed ... depending on how others show in training camp Kulak might be another player that might be moveable if needed.

I really doubt Bergevin and Julien would get rid of Lehkonen.

Byron would be an easy one to trade but he will not command much trade value.

10 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Byron would be an easy one to trade but he will not command much trade value.

Why do you say Byron would be an easy trade?

Did you mean simply because we’d have to give up assets and/or money to convince someone to take him? I don’t think that is easy, not does his career speak to an easy trade at his contract.

Lots of bargain bottom six players to be had atm as well so that plays against it being an easy trade. 

I don’t think Byron is tradable, he would likely pass waivers. 

With our cap issues I don’t see how we can make a meaningful upgrade without trading salary. Even taking the trade route would be tough. Who do we have that we would be willing to part with that also has interest from other teams?

10 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I didn't suggest they would WANT to trade him but if additional cap space is needed then IMO he iS one they would consider trading ... additional cap space would most likely be needed to facilitate another trade/signing MB feels upgrades the team ... sometimes it is more who do other teams want than who you want to move.

1 hour ago, hockeyrealist said:

Why do you say Byron would be an easy trade

Did you mean simply because we’d have to give up assets and/or money to convince someone to take him? I don’t think that is easy, not does his career speak to an easy trade at his contract.

Lots of bargain bottom six players to be had atm as well so that plays against it being an easy trade.

Sorry, poor wording on that. I meant that he would be relatively easy to give up.

I don’t think Byron is tradable, he would likely pass waivers. 

Disagree ... I suspect Ottawa might be very interested (local kid, veteran leadership, versatile ... added bonus, he speaks French) ... PB also seems like an Yzerman type player as part of a rebuild ... for some reason I could see Torts also keen on him ... the list might expand if a draft pick/prosepct was included ... the contract is moderate and he has utility so the b air might not be too "expensive" 

12 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Disagree ... I suspect Ottawa might be very interested (local kid, veteran leadership, versatile ... added bonus, he speaks French) ... PB also seems like an Yzerman type player as part of a rebuild ... for some reason I could see Torts also keen on him ... the list might expand if a draft pick/prosepct was included ... the contract is moderate and he has utility so the b air might not be too "expensive" 

I’m sure we could give Bryon away. I just doubt we’d be getting meaningful assets back.

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’m sure we could give Bryon away. I just doubt we’d be getting meaningful assets back.

Never suggested we could ... just that he could be moved if cap space is needed to do something else

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If Byron was on waivers tomorrow (giving him away), I'd be shocked if he was claimed.  Not when better players have signed shorter-term deals for less money than his this offseason.  Nothing against Byron but his contract which was already above market value is now well above market value and teams aren't lining up to take those deals on, as serviceable of a player as he still is.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I certainly get the need for safety but this is clearly different than say a 50 person wedding party. 

Daily testing and strict protocols must be the safest workplace in the world. 

Let them play 

If the NHL's proposal is for daily testing I don't know what else the governments could be asking for in terms of "additional testing" ... unless NHL plan is for cheaper tests that provide slower results and Governments want same-day results to really stay on top of things.

At a time when things are being locked down it is, at very least, potentially poor optics for the Premiers (it is really the 5 provinces that are calling the shots as local laws and regulations are what are at issue) to give billionaires and millionaires an exemption to play hockey ... and they all have to agree.

They could increase the bubble characteristics: while there is a shutdown/lockdown, players and team members must stay within the hotel and arena (except for travel). Family is either in the hotel with them, and stays there, or stays outside the hotel.

I don't know how much risk reduction it would provide but the optics certainly would be better.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

They could increase the bubble characteristics: while there is a shutdown/lockdown, players and team members must stay within the hotel and arena (except for travel). Family is either in the hotel with them, and stays there, or stays outside the hotel.

I don't know how much risk reduction it would provide but the optics certainly would be better.

If they are going to do that in each city they might just as well do away with the travel and use a bubble ... it saves the travel dollars

49 minutes ago, DON said:

Stepan to Sens, i assume just plugging holes in their lineup so wont be too horrible?

$6.5M cap hit, $2M salary (his signing bonus of $3M was already paid).  I think that's about all there is to it.  If they're out of it at the deadline, they can afford to retain 50% and can probably get that pick or close to it back.

46 minutes ago, DON said:

Stepan to Sens, i assume just plugging holes in their lineup so wont be too horrible?

Thats such a terrible trade for the Sens

So many teams need cap space. 

The Coyotes were desperate to get some more space. 
Stepan is massively overpaid at 6.5 million cap hit (5 million cash) as he has dropped off and is now more like a third line centre than anything else. 

the fact they gave up a 2nd for this, instead of getting assets out of arizona to take this salary dump is horrible trading.

But yeah he gives them an experienced centre. 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic