2020 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

39 minutes ago, DON said:

How many prospects will be at training camp, normal amount (all but NCAA guys?)? Or much reduced due to quarantine?  

There's a cap of 36 skaters allowed at camp plus unlimited goalies (I expect all 6 will be invited as a result).  So there will be room for some youngsters from Laval but there will be players on NHL contracts that aren't invited this time.

A couple of dominoes up front are starting to fall now.

Hoffman to STL on a PTO that will be converted to a deal in the $4M range once the season starts and they get LTIR space.  (Apparently the Habs were in on this one and had exploratory talks about making a move to shed salary, per Pierre LeBrun.)

Athanasiou to LA on a one-year deal around $1.2M.  I wonder if he's now regretting rejecting the offer he got for Edmonton which I believe was close to double this back in October.  (Edmonton did well with the money they were going to give him by re-signing Tyler Ennis and signing Kyle Turris.)

Vatanen, Hamonic, and Chara are all still unsigned but that shouldn't be the case much longer.  I expect Tampa to sign a d-man in the next little bit now that they have a bit of cap space to work with (but the addition has to be made before the season starts for LTIR timing purposes).

Chara leaves the Bruins and heads to Washington on a 1 year deal.

The really weird thing is apparently Montreal tried to sign him, and one of the only reasons he didn't is because of travel complications since he's leaving his family in Boston this season.

Now I think Zdeno is washed AF nowadays, but if I shut off my brain and picture a Chara - Romanov pairing... is this how kinks are discovered?

3 hours ago, Trizzak said:

The really weird thing is apparently Montreal tried to sign him, and one of the only reasons he didn't is because of travel complications since he's leaving his family in Boston this season.

Now I think Zdeno is washed AF nowadays, but if I shut off my brain and picture a Chara - Romanov pairing... is this how kinks are discovered?

Chara is scum.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Trizzak said:

I think the free agent signing by the Bruins of Chara in 2006 will go down in history as one of the best free agent signings ever. You don't often get 14 years of service from a free agent, most  of those top notch. Ottawa decided to sign Wade Redden instead.  Ooops. 

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

If I were him, with a wife and two kids, and $23M in career earnings to date, I'd be hanging up the skates and making sure I can enjoy time with my family.

But I'm not a pro athlete, and Shaw's thinking process is surely not the same as mine.

13 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think the free agent signing by the Bruins of Chara in 2006 will go down in history as one of the best free agent signings ever. You don't often get 14 years of service from a free agent, most  of those top notch. Ottawa decided to sign Wade Redden instead.  Ooops. 

As I recall, Ottawa offered Redden and Chara the same contract ... but after Muckler trading Hossa (Chara's close friend) the day after signing him to a 3-yr contract there is a theory that so offended Chara that he wouldn't re-sign with Ottawa ... so not necessarily a choice.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

As I recall, Ottawa offered Redden and Chara the same contract ... but after Muckler trading Hossa (Chara's close friend) the day after signing him to a 3-yr contract there is a theory that so offended Chara that he wouldn't re-sign with Ottawa ... so not necessarily a choice.

I think it was a question of money, Ottawa didn't have the money to spend that other teams have. I saw this quote from Muckler so i think Chara simply made a business decision.

''Chara will be a good hockey player for them,'' said Muckler, who added he isn't done with the free-agent market. ''7.5 (million dollars per season) was certainly more than we could carry."

36 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think it was a question of money, Ottawa didn't have the money to spend that other teams have. I saw this quote from Muckler so i think Chara simply made a business decision.

''Chara will be a good hockey player for them,'' said Muckler, who added he isn't done with the free-agent market. ''7.5 (million dollars per season) was certainly more than we could carry."

No doubt the Sens were not big spenders ... but don't think it was just about money ... Chara had lost any interest in staying because of Muckler's treatment of Hossa ...

10 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That decision also cost them Hossa.

9 hours ago, GHT120 said:

You’re probably right. For some reason I remembered it as being the other way around - Hossa not wanting to resign extension because of the Chara trade, so they traded him. Both were bad decisions.  

• 2 weeks later...

So I assuming this is the correct thread to talk about other teams.

Anyone know what Tampa is going to do?  With Kucherov on LTIR, Schenn and Johnson waived, they are still about 500k (quick math, probably wrong) I’ve the cap and only have 11 forward, 5 defence and 2 goalies.  They can’t even afford to activate Kucherov when he his healthily.  Plus don’t they need to have a minimum roster of 18 or 20 to be eligible to play?

5 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

So I assuming this is the correct thread to talk about other teams.

Anyone know what Tampa is going to do?  With Kucherov on LTIR, Schenn and Johnson waived, they are still about 500k (quick math, probably wrong) I’ve the cap and only have 11 forward, 5 defence and 2 goalies.  They can’t even afford to activate Kucherov when he his healthily.  Plus don’t they need to have a minimum roster of 18 or 20 to be eligible to play?

18 skaters minimum, yes. So, need to add two warm bodies, at least. But they need to dump some salary first ...

19 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

18 skaters minimum, yes. So, need to add two warm bodies, at least. But they need to dump some salary first ...

What happens if they aren’t cap compliant?  Just cap penalties? What happens if they don’t have enough skaters? Do they have to forfeit until they do?

I've never seen a situation like this in the NHL before.  So many questions.

It's extra complicated because they are using LTIR -- they need to be under the cap but they want to be as close to $81.5M as possible (think Price is Right!).

LTIR details here:

https://www.capfriendly.com/ltir-faq

And the TB gymnastics here -- they are hoping that someone will claim Johnson, I expect, so that they will get some cap space:

https://www.rawcharge.com/2021/1/11/22225025/tampa-bay-lightning-place-tyler-johnson-and-luke-schenn-on-waivers-open-up-salary-cap-options

• dlbalr unpinned this topic