2020 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

1 minute ago, DON said:

Why? Laval use him, is that what you mean?

No, I wasn't suggesting we pick him up, we have no need or space. This is the NHL thread, and I think he would be a nice pick-up for one of the 30 other teams.

28 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

No, I wasn't suggesting we pick him up, we have no need or space. This is the NHL thread, and I think he would be a nice pick-up for one of the 30 other teams.

If he didn’t make the Oilers I doubt anyone else would take him.  As good as the Oilers seem to be, their bottom 6 forward group is pretty weak.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Oh, OK sure.

4 hours ago, tomh009 said:

It's extra complicated because they are using LTIR -- they need to be under the cap but they want to be as close to $81.5M as possible (think Price is Right!).

LTIR details here:

https://www.capfriendly.com/ltir-faq

And the TB gymnastics here -- they are hoping that someone will claim Johnson, I expect, so that they will get some cap space:

https://www.rawcharge.com/2021/1/11/22225025/tampa-bay-lightning-place-tyler-johnson-and-luke-schenn-on-waivers-open-up-salary-cap-options

If ottawa wasn’t so damn cheap, Johnson would actually make a lot of sense as a waiver pickup.

4 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

What happens if they aren’t cap compliant?  Just cap penalties? What happens if they don’t have enough skaters? Do they have to forfeit until they do?

I've never seen a situation like this in the NHL before.  So many questions.

I believe the rules are that if they are not cap compliant they cannot play and forfeit games.

6 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

So I assuming this is the correct thread to talk about other teams.

Anyone know what Tampa is going to do?  With Kucherov on LTIR, Schenn and Johnson waived, they are still about 500k (quick math, probably wrong) I’ve the cap and only have 11 forward, 5 defence and 2 goalies.  They can’t even afford to activate Kucherov when he his healthily.  Plus don’t they need to have a minimum roster of 18 or 20 to be eligible to play?

It wasn't the right thread but I moved it...

Tampa's fine.  Kucherov is out for the season as are Gaborik and Nilsson.  That's $16.975M in LTIR, they're $16.516M over the cap.  There's some offseason LTIR nonsense at play as well (it all depends on who was put on and when) but as far as I can tell, they're compliant already.

7 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Tampa's fine.  Kucherov is out for the season as are Gaborik and Nilsson.  That's $16.975M in LTIR, they're $16.516M over the cap.  There's some offseason LTIR nonsense at play as well (it all depends on who was put on and when) but as far as I can tell, they're compliant already.

Except that after waiving Johnson and Schenn they have only 17 skaters on the roster. 18 is the minimum, is it not?

Their real problem will come before the 2021-22 season.

4 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Except that after waiving Johnson and Schenn they have only 17 skaters on the roster. 18 is the minimum, is it not?

11 forwards, 5 defense, 2 goalies.  18 skaters, unless goalies don't count?

21 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It wasn't the right thread but I moved it...

Didn't the CBA amend the Patrick Kane rule?  Would Kucherov be eligible for the playoffs? 

Also, I thought the CBA had a specific rule so teams couldn't sign or resign players if it put them over the projected cap.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Schenn and Johnson are still on the roster.  Waiving them doesn't mean they have to be re-assigned to the Taxi Squad or AHL 

They could be just seeing if someone will bite on Johnson and give them real cap space. or leaving the option of shuttling him up and down to gain extra space for 30 days/10 games.

10 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Didn't the CBA amend the Patrick Kane rule?  Would Kucherov be eligible for the playoffs? 

Also, I thought the CBA had a specific rule so teams couldn't sign or resign players if it put them over the projected cap.

He's eligible for the playoffs.  Their announcement only said he's out for at least the regular season which was notable.

We're still in the offseason so the Upper Limit right now is technically $89.65M (110% of the regular season cap).  Anything that puts a team over that would be blocked.  That's why they're in offseason LTIR as they either put Kucherov or Gaborik + Nilsson on, therefore expanding their spending room past $89.65M. 

The rule you're mentioning is tagging.  That normally applies but there's a one-time exception which Tampa is currently taking advantage of with over $85M in commitments for 2021-22 already.

• Upvote 1

• dlbalr unpinned this topic