2020 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

• dlbalr pinned this topic

I know Hall and Hoffman's names have been linked to the habs. But i would stay away from them both. I think they're too much of a risk for the money on a max deal.

I think adding Dadonov on a 3 or 4 year deal would be a better investment. Also trading for another scorer would be the better path. Always liked Connor brown and think he could be a solid addition to the team. He is a RFA with Ottawa wouldn't take much to trade for him 

Tatar  / Suzuki  / Drouin 

Dadonov  / Danault  / Gallagher 

Brown  / Kotkaniemi  / Armia 

Lehkonen  / Evans  / Byron 

Solid line up , with scoring on every line.

Domi we can use at the draft to try and trade up and get a better pick then 16th.

To get Dadonov, they'd have to deal Domi exclusively for futures.  It's hard to see them doing that at the draft when they wouldn't know if they could get Dadonov.  Considering the year Brown had, I think the asking price would be fairly high from Ottawa as well.  And with him and Dadonov in and only Domi out, I'm not sure they'd be able to get under the cap.

31 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

... Always liked Connor brown and think he could be a solid addition to the team. He is a RFA with Ottawa wouldn't take much to trade for him ...

Sens have about $38M AAV invest in 9 players ...  about 13 players for $22M to add to reach the floor ... buying out Ryan suggest to me that Melnyk is pinching pennies again (Ryan's salary would have been $250K above his AAV for 20/21 and 21/22 ... so I don't expect Sens are looking to trade a RFA who was their 4th leading scorer ... but assuming Eugene is pinching pennies then in the right deal (whatever that might be) the Sens ***might*** be a place to move Alzner (his actual $$$ salary is $1.625M and $1.125M below his AAV ... free cap hit)

Reading an article on the Lightning this morning, unbelievable how many players they have on NTC/NMC. Basically all the skaters making $2M or more have it, bar Point, who is still on an RFA contract. It makes it very difficult for them to clear cap space, especially as being traded (after waiving a NMC/NTC) would almost certainly result in a big income tax hit for the player.

If not Bergevin, it'll be interesting to see whether someone else will attempt to do an offer sheet for Sergachev or Cirelli.

33 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Reading an article on the Lightning this morning, unbelievable how many players they have on NTC/NMC. Basically all the skaters making $2M or more have it, bar Point, who is still on an RFA contract. It makes it very difficult for them to clear cap space, especially as being traded (after waiving a NMC/NTC) would almost certainly result in a big income tax hit for the player.

If not Bergevin, it'll be interesting to see whether someone else will attempt to do an offer sheet for Sergachev or Cirelli.

I know he won’t, but I wish he’d try to snare Sergechev back. Not that I think he’s want to sign with us after winning a cup. If he signed elsewhere would probably be another warm weather serious contender.

11 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I know he won’t, but I wish he’d try to snare Sergechev back. Not that I think he’s want to sign with us after winning a cup. If he signed elsewhere would probably be another warm weather serious contender.

Considering they apparently tried to sign a Tampa Bay player to an offer sheet last summer, it's probably safe to infer that Bergevin will kick the tires on such a move although I agree it's highly unlikely to happen.

Robin Lehner agrees on a 5-year, $25M deal with Vegas.  They don't have that much cap space left so it'll be interesting to see how they accommodate that.  How much value does Fleury have even with 50% retention?

Arizona Coyotes To Buy Out Michael Grabner ... not worth claiming off waivers but could be a good pickup on a one year deal (maybe two if the AAV is low enough) ... solid on the PK ... he has good hands, witness his 34, 27 & 26 goal years in his 11 seasons ... but wouldn't want to count on more than 15-20 ... not the top 6 solution but solid bottom 6 player

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Arizona Coyotes To Buy Out Michael Grabner ... not worth claiming off waivers but could be a good pickup on a one year deal (maybe two if the AAV is low enough) ... solid on the PK ... he has good hands, witness his 34, 27 & 26 goal years in his 11 seasons ... but wouldn't want to count on more than 15-20 ... not the top 6 solution but solid bottom 6 player

Grabner and Byron on a line haha

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bbp said:

Grabner and Byron on a line haha

And a PK pairing?

A somewhat random argument for re-signing Kovalchuk would be Romanov living with Ilya and his family (wife and three kids) like Crosby did with Lemieux ... and I think he is a good example for all the youngsters ... but he is far down my list of preferred signings ... and even then it would have to be for a very low AAV (IMO)

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I wouldn't want to go more than one year for him but he'd be an interesting depth addition if Montreal was to move any of their bottom-six wingers.  Like Byron, he's one of those players that I think works in an 'exploitative' role.  Stick him on the fourth line against slower players and he'll hold his own and he's quite dangerous shorthanded.  I'm not surprised they're buying him out given their need to cut payroll but he should have some interest. 

(I'll give you a thumbs-up on the link you picked as well...)

I just don't think we need bottom six wingers with one of Lehkonen or Byron on the fourth line already. 

This team needs to be all in on getting a top 6 (and preferably top 3) winger and then let everyone move down a line. 

• Upvote 1

This year's top offer sheet targets as proposed by The Athletic:

1. Cirelli (TBL) $7.5M x 5
  2. Pulock (NYI) $6.5M x 5
  3. Toews (NYI) $5M x 5
  4. Mikheyev (TOR) $3.2M x 3
  5. Cernak (TBL) $4.36M x 4
  6. Hintz (DAL) $4.36M x 3
  7. Barzal (NYI) $9.1M x 6
  8. Dunn (STL) $4.36M x 3
  9. Sergachev (TBL) $7.28M x 6
  10. Dermott (TOR) $2.5M x 2

Cirelli, Mikheyev, Hintz would all look good with a CH sweater. Mikheyev is a few years older but Hintz and Cirelli are only 23. Cirelli is a centre, though, and we may have too many of those already ...

11 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Wow, those are crazy numbers. Cirelli almost at Aho money? Sergachev and Pulock more than Seth Jones? Toews equal to Zach Werenski? In a year when the cap isn't going up?

Of course they are predicting what it takes to get a player to sign an offer sheet ... not what a fair contract would be ... not every player wants to sign an offer sheet and then have to stay if it is matched.

36 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

This year's top offer sheet targets as proposed by The Athletic:

1. Cirelli (TBL) $7.5M x 5
  2. Pulock (NYI) $6.5M x 5
  3. Toews (NYI) $5M x 5
  4. Mikheyev (TOR) $3.2M x 3
  5. Cernak (TBL) $4.36M x 4
  6. Hintz (DAL) $4.36M x 3
  7. Barzal (NYI) $9.1M x 6
  8. Dunn (STL) $4.36M x 3
  9. Sergachev (TBL) $7.28M x 6
  10. Dermott (TOR) $2.5M x 2

Cirelli, Mikheyev, Hintz would all look good with a CH sweater. Mikheyev is a few years older but Hintz and Cirelli are only 23. Cirelli is a centre, though, and we may have too many of those already ...

Cirelli will be too expensive (IMO) ... but would be an interesting addition if they had a deal for Danault in place ... Mikheyev might be an option for the 3RW spot

Hintz (60gm, 19g, 14a; 25gm, 2g, 11a) would be a nice addition ... I find it interesting that they include Roope but not Denis Gurianov (64gm, 20g, 9a; 27gm, 9g, 8a) ... wouldn't mind him either ... Dallas seems to have lots of cap space but the issue is how much their owner will be willing to spend ... R. Thomas Gaglardi is undoubtedly rich but he and his family own Northland Properties Corporation, the largest family-owned hospitality company in Canada ... but this has not been a great year for them and the foreseeable future may not be much brighter ... from what Pierre McGuire and his cohorts say there may be a lot of teams for whom the cap ceiling is not the issue.

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Cirelli will be too expensive (IMO) ... but would be an interesting addition if they had a deal for Danault in place ... Mikheyev might be an option for the 3RW spot

Hintz (60gm, 19g, 14a; 25gm, 2g, 11a) would be a nice addition ... I find it interesting that they include Roope but not Denis Gurianov (64gm, 20g, 9a; 27gm, 9g, 8a) ... wouldn't mind him either ... Dallas seems to have lots of cap space but the issue is how much their owner will be willing to spend ... R. Thomas Gaglardi is undoubtedly rich but he and his family own Northland Properties Corporation, the largest family-owned hospitality company in Canada ... but this has not been a great year for them and the foreseeable future may not be much brighter ... from what Pierre McGuire and his cohorts say there may be a lot of teams for whom the cap ceiling is not the issue.

The Athletic said this of Dallas:

I’m going to pick on the Stars now. Dallas has a tough combination of some uncertain finances for ownership, a tight cap situation and three good young forwards hitting restricted free agency at the same time: Radek Faksa, Roope Hintz and Denis Gurianov.

They chose Hintz of the three, but they didn't say why.

26 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

The Athletic said this of Dallas:

They chose Hintz of the three, but they didn't say why.

Faksa would be more of a 3rd liner ... not a first choice but not an option to ignore.

20 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Faksa would be more of a 3rd liner ... not a first choice but not an option to ignore.

You could actually offer sheet both Hintz and Gurianov at the same time — offer one if them 4.36 (2nd rounder) and the other 4.37 (1st and 3rd). No way Dallas would match both.

12 hours ago, tomh009 said:

You could actually offer sheet both Hintz and Gurianov at the same time — offer one if them 4.36 (2nd rounder) and the other 4.37 (1st and 3rd). No way Dallas would match both.

Very interesting idea ... it would certainly mark Marc as creative (and doubt he would give you any credit)

Technically the Stars could match both ... but if they do have an internal cap it would mean getting rid of other players ... if they have to pick wonder which one it would be?

Of course the bigger question is whether either player would sign the offer sheet ... if Dallas includes a NTC to give the player some control it could be Radulov all over again.

PLUS ... would the 4.36M player be insulted that they are worth less?

22 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

Looks like Matt Niskanen might retire...

It would take out their top pairing RHD ... will make things interesting for Flyers ... it would leave them with only four defencemen signed for 20/231 ... bit more pressure to re-sign RFA Philippe Myers (4th in TOI) and UFA Justin Braun (5th TOI) ... might make it more difficult to decide to trade The Ghost ... 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic