Jump to content

2020 NHL Offseason Thread


Recommended Posts

Suddenly the idea of that front loaded offer sheet for Aho maybe makes some sense

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Joe Thornton signs with the Leafs.    They should sign Kovalchuk too and play him, Spezza, and Thornton together on the "We wish it was 2007" line.

Grabner and Byron on a line haha

It’s official.   Bobby Orr is a certified loser.

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Suddenly the idea of that front loaded offer sheet for Aho maybe makes some sense

 

 

 

Dundon's option to buy the remaining 39% of the team from Karmanos will expire in January. The team was valued at $420M back in 2018, so that's about $164M for the remainder -- but the option was reported to be at a significantly higher price.

 

Switching to speculation mode: the option will likely cost $200M+, and Dundon probably has to provide 30 or 60 days' notice prior to exercising it. Presumably the value of the team in the middle of the pandemic will not be as high as might have been envisioned in 2018 -- what is not clear is whether there is some kind unwind clause in the original purchase agreement that would allow (or force) Karmanos to buy back that 61% that Dundon already owns.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

 

Dundon's option to buy the remaining 39% of the team from Karmanos will expire in January. The team was valued at $420M back in 2018, so that's about $164M for the remainder -- but the option was reported to be at a significantly higher price.

 

Switching to speculation mode: the option will likely cost $200M+, and Dundon probably has to provide 30 or 60 days' notice prior to exercising it. Presumably the value of the team in the middle of the pandemic will not be as high as might have been envisioned in 2018 -- what is not clear is whether there is some kind unwind clause in the original purchase agreement that would allow (or force) Karmanos to buy back that 61% that Dundon already owns.

 

It will be interesting to see ... at the time of the offer sheet it was reported that Dundon's finances were tight because of non-hockey related losses (principally the AAF) ... Covid may not have been any friendlier to his other businesses ... always to be remembered that just because someone has millions/billions in net worth they may not want to tie up more money in a sports franchise and/or have the required liquid assets at any one time and not want to take on further debt

 

Karmanos is 77 ... he may not be so interested in owning the team ... not certtain he has the resources to do it (searches for his net worth were uninformative) ... of course his son Jason spent 15 years as an executive for the Hurricanes (e.g., executive director of hockey operations, VP/assistant general manager) from 1998-2013, and until recently was the assistant GM in Pittsburgh ... he might be interested in running the Hurricanes if can can resume ownership.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dalhabs said:

Galchenyuk to the senators. 🤪

 

He picked a team too cheap to send him to the AHL even if he totally sucks/blows/stinks/bombs (pick your favourite).

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

Galchenyuk to the senators. 🤪


he is going to get sooooo bored here that he may finally learn that dedication is salvation for his career 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a REAL coach (beware language, if it matters to you)

 

First step towards the Bell Centre bench?  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just have to give thanks that a Habs legend hasn’t come out endorsing DJT. The Bobby Orr situation is regrettable and could end up being a disaster for the Bruins brand.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

I just have to give thanks that a Habs legend hasn’t come out endorsing DJT. The Bobby Orr situation is regrettable and could end up being a disaster for the Bruins brand.

 

It helps that most of Montreal's legends remain in Canada and therefore don't have to wade into American politics.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

I just have to give thanks that a Habs legend hasn’t come out endorsing DJT. The Bobby Orr situation is regrettable and could end up being a disaster for the Bruins brand.

Hey, he is old and rich and if he thinks piling up more $$, before he packs it in, is all important, Trump's clan is most friendly to those...just smart business to set grand kids up. He may be thought of as a bit kooky, like Tim Thomas but not sure will be huge deal.

Granted, i havent heard what he said and assume was basically same as Favre, Nicklaus and millions of others.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DON said:

Hey, he is old and rich and if he thinks piling up more $$, before he packs it in, is all important, Trump's clan is most friendly to those...just smart business to set grand kids up. He may be thought of as a bit kooky, like Tim Thomas but not sure will be huge deal.

Granted, i havent heard what he said and assume was basically same as Favre, Nicklaus and millions of others.

He took out a full page ad in the Boston herald in support of Trump (picture of him, his wife and Trump), basically saying (I’m paralyzed), that Trump has done a great job in the pandemic and has taken a unfair blame since he’s taken office is best person to lead USA.  
 

To what - the Armageddon??  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Just a reminder that Bobby Orr has always been a loser, who never once beat the Habs in a playoff series. 

Also Tiger Woods >>>>> Jack Nicklaus. 

 

He did win a cup though. I wouldn't call him a loser, one of the greatest players who ever played. Too bad injuries cut short his career.

 

Like everyone else he is entitled to his opinion but I could care less about his views on politics. He lives in a world of privilege, hardly the working man's world he grew up in.  He can hardly identify anymore with the day to day concerns of people who live pay cheque to pay cheque.  He did hook up with Allan Eagleson so his judgement is certainly far from perfect. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Commandant said:

Just a reminder that Bobby Orr has always been a loser, who never once beat the Habs in a playoff series. 

Also Tiger Woods >>>>> Jack Nicklaus. 

 

1st statement...the part about his never beating the Habs in a playoff series is true at least.  Not sure about 'always been a loser', as he did win 2 cups, scoring the clinching goal in both efforts.  Oh, and he won a Canada Cup in which he was named MVP and won 8 Norris trophies too.

 

2nd statement...pure BS.  Jack has 18 major wins, Tiger 15.  Close doesn't get the job done; to be the man, you have to beat the man.  Tiger has NOT beaten the man at this point, and it's looking highly unlikely that he ever will.  Just as I didn't give Brady the nod over the likes of Montana and Bradshaw until he got ring number five, I won't see Tiger as Golf's GOAT unless he wins 4 more majors.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya - I was about to comment but figured politics belongs elsewhere. 
 

I’m glad Orr isn’t ashamed or afraid of being public with his convictions. Nothing wrong with that. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

Commandant, I probably agree with you 95% of the time but not on this one.   I can think of a lot of loser's but  Bobby Orr is not one of them, maybe he is  just a little misguided. 

He is rich & white, Trump's fav.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, DON said:

He is rich & white, Trump's fav.

The richest of the rich & white are voting for Biden, not Trump. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DON said:

He is rich & white, Trump's fav.

True ... and he is entitled top his opinion vote ... but also has to be prepared to have others express their contrary opinions.

 

Think the biggest issue is not his supporting the Republicans but rather Trump personally ... it is Trump's personality/behaviour/attitudes/etc, that incites responses far more so than what few policies he has laid out ... I have American friends and family that lean or are strongly Republican, and will vote GOP up and down the ticket ... except for President ... some will vote for Biden or some will either not vote or spoil their ballots ... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

True ... and he is entitled top his opinion vote ... but also has to be prepared to have others express their contrary opinions.

 

Think the biggest issue is not his supporting the Republicans but rather Trump personally ... it is Trump's personality/behaviour/attitudes/etc, that incites responses far more so than what few policies he has laid out ... I have American friends and family that lean or are strongly Republican, and will vote GOP up and down the ticket ... except for President ... some will vote for Biden or some will either not vote or spoil their ballots ... 

you’re exactly right. 
 

or as some of my friends - do the above AND hold their nose as they vote for Trump one last time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, revvvrob said:

The richest of the rich & white are voting for Biden, not Trump. 

Perhaps ... or perhaps not ... haven't seen any reliable studies on that ... but those for whom "being white" is IMPORTANT are likely voting Trump 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

The richest of the rich & white are voting for Biden, not Trump. 

Not really true, biggest tech, Oil companies, Drug companies and other mega business owners are very very very very keen on ensuring their taxs stay as low as possible with as minimal regulation as possible (and vast majority are Caucasian).

 

Thats all i got for sidetracked political stuff.

 

Wonder how soon a schedule for a training camp, reg season will be proposed? They have to assume CoVid is not going away and likely will be the summer/fall before all fans can likely get some vaccine and standard precautions are adopted or accepted by more people.

Maybe they will find some way to squeeze more profit out of broadcasts and allow partially filled rinks?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • dlbalr unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...