Habs buy out Alzner

Habsfan89

I am glad they gave him a chance to play some where else

good news for the Habs, the D is deep enough that we do not need NHL veterans taking a spot

Guess I’m unclear - I thought with him in the AHL, tho he still gets paid, that none of his salary affected the cap number. Now, some of his salary DOES affect the cap space. 

glad for Karl tho - he has a shot at playing SOMEWHERE now. 

VERY disappointed ... 

1 minute ago, revvvrob said:

Guess I’m unclear - I thought with him in the AHL, tho he still gets paid, that none of his salary affected the cap number. Now, some of his salary DOES affect the cap space. 

glad for Karl tho - he has a shot at playing SOMEWHERE now. 

In the AHL about $1.5M of Alzner's salary disappeared from the cap ... but not all of it .. .

26 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Wow guess they couldn't trade him.

Was there a trade possibility?  Potentially but the cost (pick/player/prospect) evidently was too high for Bergevin's liking.

16 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

In the AHL about $1.5M of Alzner's salary disappeared from the cap ... but not all of it .. .

It varies by year.  The rule is $375,000 plus whatever the league minimum salary is that season. 

The Habs would have saved $1.075M by sending Alzner to Laval this year while they save only $666,667 this year via the buyout  But, they save more on next year's cap by doing it now instead of next year (thanks to the contract variation) and free up the contract slot.

• Upvote 1

By buying him out this year instead of next year the Habs lose cap space this season, gain cap space next season, gain cap space the season after, and lose cap space the season after.

So from a flat cap perspective, buying him out now does make sense as the cap should start to go back up by the time they lose space again.

I did still have hopes of convincing another team to take him for the final year of his contract at the cost of a 2nd round pick though.

27 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

So from a flat cap perspective, buying him out now does make sense as the cap should start to go back up by the time they lose space again.

I did still have hopes of convincing another team to take him for the final year of his contract at the cost of a 2nd round pick though.

The flat cap giveth and the flat cap taketh away, so sayeth the Bettman

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Habsfan89 said:

Looking at the end result it clears up more cap space in 2 years when we need to resign everyone. So I know i don't say this much but good move Bergevin 👍

I should save this post! 😂

• Upvote 1

Yes

Since they only save $667K this season the Habs would have been slightly better off cap-wise for 20/21 if Karl was buried Karl in the AHL again ... I wonder what the 21/22 cost/savings would have been if Alzner was buried for 20/21 and the final year (21/22) of his deal bought out next summer ... could it have given them even more cap relief ?

There’s also something to be said about a GM doing what’s in the best interest of the player, and Alzner wanted to be bought out.

when other players see that MB respects his players, perhaps it makes Mtl look like a more appealing place to play

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

There’s also something to be said about a GM doing what’s in the best interest of the player, and Alzner wanted to be bought out.

when other players see that MB respects his players, perhaps it makes Mtl look like a more appealing place to play

Good point, and MB did the same with Kovalchuk too sending him to the Caps - which was where Ilya wanted to go.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Since they only save $667K this season the Habs would have been slightly better off cap-wise for 20/21 if Karl was buried Karl in the AHL again ... I wonder what the 21/22 cost/savings would have been if Alzner was buried for 20/21 and the final year (21/22) of his deal bought out next summer ... could it have given them even more cap relief ?

The buyout cost for 2021-22 would have been higher had they bought him out next summer.  This article is from the summer but it had the various scenarios and costs: https://www.habsworld.net/2020/06/when-is-the-right-time-for-the-habs-to-buy-out-karl-alzner/

46 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The buyout cost for 2021-22 would have been higher had they bought him out next summer.  This article is from the summer but it had the various scenarios and costs: https://www.habsworld.net/2020/06/when-is-the-right-time-for-the-habs-to-buy-out-karl-alzner/

Thx ... then it makes more sense to do it now