Domi for Anderson

Helmethead

4 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Clarkson also got similar write ups when the leafs backed up the brinks truck at his front door on Canada day.

You would only need to watch Anderson and Clarkson play closely for about 2 games to quickly notice the only similarities they have are size and that their last names end in son.

15 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t see how we’ve improved contractually. We traded our RFA for an RFA that Columbus was having trouble signing.

I think a lot of it has to do with Andersen having a defined position and is a player Montreal needed for a long time.

They probably figured that trading and paying a player that they know will have a defined role on the team than a guy who lost his position at centre to our up and coming youngsters and basically sulked about it for half a year.

I want to go back to a couple years ago.

Columbus and Montreal were deadlocked and winner of that game advanced to the playoffs.

Josh Andersen absolutely crushed us, while Domi largely disappeared. Josh then went on to do the same to Tampa Bay in which they ended up saying they did not have an answer for his style of play.

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Clarkson also got similar write ups when the leafs backed up the brinks truck at his front door on Canada day.

Clarkson had played 80+ games (or pro-rated equivalent for 12/13) in 5 of his 6 full seasons before signing with Toronto ... and his "46 0f 82" season was followed by three 80+ game seasons ... so I don't see the comparison ... DC's performance sapping injuries seem to have started after the Laffs signed him.

19 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

before his injury he was getting this kind of write-up:  https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/combining-size-skill-and-speed-blue-jackets-josh-anderson-is-the-type-of-player-every-team-covets No way do you get that guy back for a sub-par 2nd line C in Max Domi.

Thanks for that link.  Thats a good write up on him.  He is a big guy so I was curious about his speed,and it wouldnt make any sense if he was slow because he wouldnt be able to keep up with the rest of the team.   It sorta seems like he's being described as a Bob Gainey like player but with more scoring skill. 

I certainly feel way better about this deal after watching every goal he scored in his 27 g season: 

He definitely has numerous great shots (wrist, backhand, plus long range open netters) and hand eye co-ordination.  By the looks of it he might even be able to replace Gallagher because he has serious size and seems to be dangerous threat at scoring around the crease too.  

2 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

... By the looks of it he might even be able to replace Gallagher because he has serious size and seems to be dangerous threat at scoring around the crease too.  

Or at least lighten the load a bit for BG in terms of having to the most physical forward on the Habs

7 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Or at least lighten the load a bit for BG in terms of having to the most physical forward on the Habs

What do you mean by "most physical"? Gallagher doesn't deliver a lot of hits, but he does mix it up in front of the net (for which there are no stats, I think).

For hits, the top three forwards in the regular season were Armia, Lehkonen and Danault, which makes sense as all are solid two-way forwards. In the postseason, it was Kotkaniemi, Danault and Lehkonen.

57 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

What do you mean by "most physical"? Gallagher doesn't deliver a lot of hits, but he does mix it up in front of the net (for which there are no stats, I think).

For hits, the top three forwards in the regular season were Armia, Lehkonen and Danault, which makes sense as all are solid two-way forwards. In the postseason, it was Kotkaniemi, Danault and Lehkonen.

Meant that front of the crease/corners dirty work from which too many players shy away ... of the players you named I would only call Armia physical (KK showing signs) 

Anderson sticks out to me as a big body that always played pissed off against the Habs for some reason. Kinda like Ryan Malone always seemed extra agitated to play the Habs.

Seeing his goals, he definitely appears to be a very north-south, willing to get dirty kind of player, which the Habs definitely need.

31 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Meant that front of the crease/corners dirty work from which too many players shy away ... of the players you named I would only call Armia physical (KK showing signs) 

I agree with your assessment. And I think if we have Gallagher, Anderson and Armia on the right side of the top three lines, each line will have a winger (not always big) willing to cause havoc. And that's good.

And of players with 25 or more goals in 2018-19, he was the only one besides Ovechkin to have at least 200 hits. Dude is a beast who was just scratching the surface that year.  After that season, the question became whether that was just his first step towards becoming a big time power forward or was it just a fluke season like Boone Jenner's 2015-16 season? An injury plagued 2019-20 did little to assuage fears of a similar career trajectory, but it seems like a lot of teams still think highly of him if we were the ones who had to add a pick to the deal. As much as I think Bergevin should have been fired years ago, he's been doing better recently and he wouldn't have given up the pick just for the hell of it.

I like the deal overall, I don't think Anderson is as talented as Domi but brings size and grit on the RW with some decent hands. 

Domi was not very good this year, a lot of penalty issues, too many nights off. coaching staff didn;t help by playing him everywhere 

But its a win in my books 

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

Domi signed his contract: 2 years, $5.3AAV which takes him right to unrestricted free agency (the Ferris Special.)

I thought he'd get the Galchenyuk-equivalent deal (~$5.3M but for 3 years).  That's a nice deal for Domi.

• Upvote 1

I never had the chance to chime in but I don’t like the trade. Willing to give Anderson a chance regardless and I’m sure I’ll like him. Wrong player to give up in return is all. 

46 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I never had the chance to chime in but I don’t like the trade. Willing to give Anderson a chance regardless and I’m sure I’ll like him. Wrong player to give up in return is all. 

Domi wasn't happy. He didn't want to play wing, and at centre he was behind Danault and the kids. Trading a disgruntled 4C to get Anderson looks like a good idea to me, even if Bergevin had to throw in a third-rounder.

8 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Domi wasn't happy. He didn't want to play wing, and at centre he was behind Danault and the kids. Trading a disgruntled 4C to get Anderson looks like a good idea to me, even if Bergevin had to throw in a third-rounder.

I don't like the 3rd rounder, but am happy with the one-for-one return.

For those who have said Domi was a 4th line center for us, he wasn’t. 

I for one watch every game and do not remember seeing him on the 4th line prior to coronavirus halting play. It’s possible he did a little bit, but it wasn’t much. At the beginning of the play-in, it made sense that Domi was a little behind everyone else because as a diabetic he wasn’t even sure whether or not he would be medically cleared. With a full training camp and preseason, Domi would not start on the Canadiens’ 4th line. 

After that, there was a Nick Suzuki emergence, and KK played better. I personally feel as though Nick Suzuki did emerge, that’s true.

Kotkaniemi will get there, but I don’t think it’s reality to pair him up with Suzuki’s success last year and in the play-in and say “the kids have emerged”.

It’s all water under the bridge, but Domi would not have remained permanently on the 4th line in the future. And if he would have, then the coach should be fired. 

He would have likely played wing in the top 9 or center if we had injuries. The disgruntled notion is a dramatization as well; it’s like fans saw a frown on his face every time he was near the boards, and that gigantic smile of his when he was taking faceoffs. Then they proceeded to put “two and two together”. 

In the postseason, indeed Domi was 4C, whether he should have been or not, that's where he was playing. And Suzuki and Kotkaniemi were, whatever may happen with them in the future, two of our best forwards in those ten games, so I can see why Julien and Muller were playing them instead of Domi in the top nine.

29 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

In the postseason, indeed Domi was 4C, whether he should have been or not, that's where he was playing. And Suzuki and Kotkaniemi were, whatever may happen with them in the future, two of our best forwards in those ten games, so I can see why Julien and Muller were playing them instead of Domi in the top nine.

That’s where he was playing but that’s not where he stood in the lineup. You completely overlooked the extrenuating circumstances that surrounded this year’s playoffs. 

Coronavirus. Having Diabeties. Having to be medically cleared to join teammates in practice. Living in a bubble.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canadiens-mailbag-max-domi-line-play-resumes/sn-amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/max-domi-to-wait-7-10-days-before-deciding-on-joining-habs/wcm/2978e161-4baa-4354-a986-9dec7e56b2d5/amp/

These are just two articles out of a zillion. He joined the team later and the Habs only had one practice left. 

Domi should have started the play-in on the 4th line. With that being said, he would not have been our 4th line center in the future, under normal circumstances. Anyone who thinks that brainwashed themselves in a very short period of time.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/julien-reiterates-domi-line-not-labelled-fourth-line/

“It irks me.” :D

15 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

That’s where he was playing but that’s not where he stood in the lineup. You completely overlooked the extrenuating circumstances that surrounded this year’s playoffs. 

Coronavirus. Having Diabeties. Having to be medically cleared to join teammates in practice. Living in a bubble.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canadiens-mailbag-max-domi-line-play-resumes/sn-amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/max-domi-to-wait-7-10-days-before-deciding-on-joining-habs/wcm/2978e161-4baa-4354-a986-9dec7e56b2d5/amp/

These are just two articles out of a zillion. He joined the team later and the Habs only had one practice left. 

Domi should have started the play-in on the 4th line. With that being said, he would not have been our 4th line center in the future, under normal circumstances. Anyone who thinks that brainwashed themselves in a very short period of time.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/julien-reiterates-domi-line-not-labelled-fourth-line/

“It irks me.” :D

He should have chosen to sit out then or been preparing on his own like a professional.

he also should play where he is put and put in a consistent effort regardless of position/line mates. Like a pro, and an adult.

good riddance.

15 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

He should have chosen to sit out then or been preparing on his own like a professional.

he also should play where he is put and put in a consistent effort regardless of position/line mates. Like a pro, and an adult.

good riddance.

I don’t know. It seems as though Max looks quite happy in these photos as we were in the process of eliminating the Penguins in game 4.

Max played poorly in these playoffs. However it wasn’t for a lack of heart or willingness to want to win. On the other end, if the insinuation is that Max is a bad player and doesn’t have the skill to be better than a 4th liner, then I guess only time can prove that wrong and whoever suggests that will try to forget they ever said that in a few years. 

If neither of those are the insinuation (lack of heart, or lack of skill), then I don’t know what the point is. 

Where the mistake is being made is that people are taking a small sample size of 10 games and reflecting it openly as an indication of who Domi is as a player. 

And since we are discussing a trade, where was Anderson’s professionalism when he only amassed 4 points in 21 games last year despite facing injuries? Or, am I making the same mistake others are making about Domi? 

06B3174A-DFB8-4A24-A918-090DEC817134.jpeg

54FB3F19-F159-4C04-801A-D429FE6F8980.jpeg

3 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I don’t know. It seems as though Max looks quite happy in these photos as we were in the process of eliminating the Penguins in game 4....

06B3174A-DFB8-4A24-A918-090DEC817134.jpeg

54FB3F19-F159-4C04-801A-D429FE6F8980.jpeg

If a player can't look excited/happy when his team cores he would deserve to be sent to Siberia