Draft Day Discussion

dlbalr

Sure thing.   Let's hope the NHL can get the first round done in less than 3 hours too.

5 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Would you draft that top goaltender if he's there at 16th?

No way. There's no need, and the Habs have sufficient depth in goal.

This is supposed to be one of the deepest drafts in over a decade, and it's not the time to make that selection.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, habscout said:

No way. There's no need, and the Habs have sufficient depth in goal.

This is supposed to be one of the deepest drafts in over a decade, and it's not the time to make that selection.

What happened to take best available player doesn't matter the position 🤔

BPA is a simple mantra, but not based on logic.  Let's say you were drafting 16th, you had 2 excellent centers in the pros, and 3 more good centers in junior/college/AHL, and the BPA was a center, do you draft him?  No way.   

On the Sportsnet feed, I like how they show the 5 minute "on the clock" countdown timer.

The first GM who makes his pick within 10 seconds and says, "We're not waiting 5 more minutes because we want this guy right now" is going to have that player ready to run through walls for the organization. This waiting game just to allow talking heads to compare these guys to current players is so awkward and unnecessary.

Top 3 picks are in.  No surprises.

On to Detroit, the team that got the shaft to draft down to #4.

7 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

The first GM who makes his pick within 10 seconds and says, "We're not waiting 5 more minutes because we want this guy right now" is going to have that player ready to run through walls for the organization. This waiting game just to allow talking heads to compare these guys to current players is so awkward and unnecessary.

And likely get fined by the NHL for shotchanging air time on Sportsnet, NBC and TVA.

3 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Cute spot there with Alex Trebek picking for Ottawa. Not to harp on the timing thing here, but they should have played that video 2 minutes earlier. 

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

What a great cameo by Alex Trebek, very happy that the Sens do that :)

Is it just me ... or does Bettman not look great (i.e., healthy, vigorous, etc.) tonight

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

Is it just me ... or does Bettman not look great (i.e., healthy, vigorous, etc.) tonight

He has been "jittery" for a few years. I am not an expert, but I've seen persons with early Parkinson look similarly. I hope he is healthy, I do not want to wish him illness.

Guess they send the top 35-40 players each a package with a sweater from every team so they can put one the one for the team that drafts them

33 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He has been "jittery" for a few years. I am not an expert, but I've seen persons with early Parkinson look similarly. I hope he is healthy, I do not want to wish him illness.

I had the same feeling. I've been saying for the past few years that it looks like he might be in the early stages of Parkinsons disease!