Draft Day Discussion

dlbalr

10 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

dlbalr, the LWOS text for Jan Mysak, is the same that for mini-Tuch ;)

We don't want to upset Commandant on a court case day

I assume Commandant is in court for beating a man to death after the poor soul insisted clutch was a real thing.

• Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I assume Commandant is in court for beating a man to death after the poor soul insisted clutch was a real thing.

Nah....  advocating for a client on custody/access of an infant.  We won. 

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Nah....  advocating for a client on custody/access of an infant.  We won. 

"You're Honour, they consider grit to be a reasonable quantifier for determining a top 10 selection!"

"Sir, it's been 5 hours. If you stop talking now I'll side with your client."

• Upvote 1

Is it fair to say that high schoolers get drafted more so based on their tools rather than how they use them at this point in their development?

Seems like the competition wouldn't be very good in high school hockey to fully determine how well they play the overall game, but is perfectly suitable to seeing shot strength, skating ability, etc.

1 minute ago, Trizzak said:

Is it fair to say that high schoolers get drafted more so based on their tools rather than how they use them at this point in their development?

I'd say so.  You're looking for certain elements that you think can translate against higher levels of competition over the next 3-4 years (since they're college-bound, there's the longer signing timeline).

12 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Interesting that the Habs go for a couple of high schoolers from Minnesota in the 4th round. That scout must have been really loud in the room the past 20 minutes.

They played against each other in the High School D-1 Semi-final (Bondi won). 

5 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'd say so.  You're looking for certain elements that you think can translate against higher levels of competition over the next 3-4 years (since they're college-bound, there's the longer signing timeline).

The Habs track record in finding those players has not been particularly kind, has it?

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

57 - traded to TB for 124 and TB 2nd in 2021.

For once I'd like to see the Habs actually use the picks they acquire to choose a prospect or at least trade for a roster player as opposed to trading back for more picks. 

3 minutes ago, John B said:

For once I'd like to see the Habs actually use the picks they acquire to choose a prospect or at least trade for a roster player as opposed to trading back for more picks. 

They've traded four draft picks from this draft for players this offseason already.  (3rd + 7th for Allen, 3rd for Domi, 5th for Edmundson)

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

They've traded four draft picks from this draft for players this offseason already.  (3rd + 7th for Allen, 3rd for Domi, 5th for Edmundson)

I understand they've already traded picks for roster players.  Package this one with a roster player to get an upgrade.

I'd still rather see them use the pick.  A 4th rounder is flyer.  2021 draft looks like it will not be deep.  At least use it to try and move up then instead of always moving back to get more picks that likely will not be signed because of the 50 contract limit.  Hirvonen, Niemela, Cormier, Poirier, Smilanic, Foudy, Knazko, Jurmo, Benning, Pytlik, and Savoie were all still available at 57.  Heck I would have traded all 3 seconds to move up to grab Gunler or Peterka.  Quality over quantity.  Just my opinion though.