Draft Day Discussion

dlbalr

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Pick 171 - RW Alexander Gordin

Some highlight clips from Hockey30
https://hockey30.com/nouvelles/video-alexander-gordin-un-russe-obscur-avec-du-talent/

So, the article on the main page is updated for each player now.  I usually do a draft grades piece the day after but I'm going to push that to next week so we can get through the free agent period first.  Otherwise, it'd get lost in the shuffle really quickly.

Given the picks they had i would say grade of C or so-so. I like the Mysak pick the best of the bunch.

Q d-man Jeremie Poirier, i thought he might be a good option in 2nd round and at least a good token QMJHL pick. I imagine quebec media is ripping Habs for not taking any.

And wouldnt Will Cuylle of been a better choice than Tuch?

58 minutes ago, DON said:

Given the picks they had i would say grade of C or so-so. I like the Mysak pick the best of the bunch.

Q d-man Jeremie Poirier, i thought he might be a good option in 2nd round and at least a good token QMJHL pick. I imagine quebec media is ripping Habs for not taking any.

Ya, I can't remember which reporter did it (there is always at least one) but he basically asked if Timmins even had any Quebec-born players on his draft list and Timmins came as close to snapping at him as he professionally can.

3 hours ago, DON said:

I confirm they do.

As they do year in year out since Louis Leblanc.

For the medias,  past Round1 and early Round2, Habs should take a chance on any Q born kid instead of BPA.  Even if the player was not picked by the next 12 teams after our pick,  they feel like we had to because he was playing in our backyard.  

Some fans find it real annoying, but many agree with the medias.  It's Always fun on Twitter and Facebook the day after an NHL draft. :argue:

5 hours ago, DON said:

Agree with your grade.  Thought most of the picks were taken in the right range (not too many reaches if any), and they had a couple pretty good value picks (like Mysak and maybe Farrell).

It really seemed like there was an effort to draft players who's rights can be kept longer.  Probably because of 50 contract limit and the number of picks they still have for next year.  Could explain why they only went with a couple of CHLers (Guhle and Mysak) and went heavier on the college bound players.

As far as Cuylle is concerned, I'm not sure if he's better than Tuch or not because I've never seen Tuch play.  However, I have had the chance to watch Cuylle being from the Windsor area.  In his rookie season, I really liked him.  Looked like he was going places and could be a force for the Spits in his draft year.  Unfortunately, he didn't really seem to take that next step in his development from what I could see this past season.  Not much improvement over his rookie season at all.  Has me questioning his potential offensive ceiling a bit. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, John B said:

As far as Cuylle is concerned, I'm not sure if he's better than Tuch or not because I've never seen Tuch play.  However, I have had the chance to watch Cuylle being from the Windsor area.  In his rookie season, I really liked him.  Looked like he was going places and could be a force for the Spits in his draft year.  Unfortunately, he didn't really seem to take that next step in his development from what I could see this past season.  Not much improvement over his rookie season at all.  Has me questioning his potential offensive ceiling a bit. 

Great thanks.

Just going by what have read.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2020 at 8:14 PM, dlbalr said:

So, the article on the main page is updated for each player now.  I usually do a draft grades piece the day after but I'm going to push that to next week so we can get through the free agent period first.  Otherwise, it'd get lost in the shuffle really quickly.

So with the Habs doing a bunch of stuff the week after the draft, this was only posted last night. https://www.habsworld.net/2020/10/grading-the-2020-draft-class/

1st pick i agree, if he doesnt have any or little pro offense, seems a forward would of been smarter way to go. But, dont dislike the pick and just gotta hope his pucks skills are good enough.