Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Commandant

Kaiden Guhle, 15th Overall, LHD

Recommended Posts

The younger brother of Anaheim Ducks defenceman Brendan Guhle, Kaiden Guhle was the first overall pick in the 2017 WHL Bantam Draft. In his rookie season in 2018-19, he was part of the WHL Champion Prince Albert Raiders. Guhle put up three goals and 17 points in 65 games that year. He added three assists in 23 playoff games and appeared in three games at the Memorial Cup. However, as a 16-year-old WHL Rookie, he had limited ice time on the deep Raiders team. This season, Guhle’s responsibility has gone up, and he had a breakout campaign. Guhle scored 11 goals and 29 assists for 40 points in 64 games for the Raiders before the season was cancelled.

 

Guhle has also been a player for Team Canada on the international stage. He was the captain of Canada Red at the 2018 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge, putting up three assists in six games. He also played at last summer’s Hlinka-Gretzky Cup. Guhle was an alternate captain, scored one assist in five games, and helped Canada to win a silver medal. He also appeared in the CHL Top Prospects Game. Guhle was one of the most impressive players in the game, playing solid defensively and also scoring the game’s opening goal.

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2020/04/28/kaiden-guhle-scouting-report/

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like the pick.. we are years from seeing if it was a good one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bergevin was standing at the podium for 2 minutes waiting for the talking heads to shut up. They weren't looking to trade down or trade away... they wanted Guhle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Like the pick.. we are years from seeing if it was a good one.

 

Maybe one more year in the WHL (assuming they have a season) and then a year or two in Laval.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Trizzak said:

Bergevin was standing at the podium for 2 minutes waiting for the talking heads to shut up. They weren't looking to trade down or trade away... they wanted Guhle. 

 

Don't we have rather a glut at LD?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bergevin trying to solve the LD problem by acquiring all of them

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to say i'm a little surprised we picked a dman. I was under the impression we needed scoring up front. Not saying I don't like the pick, because from what I've read about Guhle, I like what I see! Let's hope it won't take him 5-6 years to become a solid dman on our blue line!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

Don't we have rather a glut at LD?

Guhle tops them all though.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

 

Don't we have rather a glut at LD?


I’m a BPA guy, we don’t even know how this ‘glut’ will play out at the NHL level. Sort it out further on down the line.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Trizzak said:

Guhle tops them all though.

Maybe not Norlinder 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not surprised we took a Dman, but I'm surprised it was a LHD. 

 

That said Guhle was better than any RHD on my board, so I'm good with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GHT120 said:

Maybe not Norlinder 

 

Romanov, Norlinder, Struble, Harris, that is a good group, and now Guhle.


We can trade one for a position of need if they all work out.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Commandant said:

 

Romanov, Norlinder, Struble, Harris, that is a good group, and now Guhle.


We can trade one for a position of need if they all work out.

Exactly 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As said by Jeff Marek.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

 

Romanov, Norlinder, Struble, Harris, that is a good group, and now Guhle.


We can trade one for a position of need if they all work out.

 

My only concern is that there are too many LD that not everyone can get in the lineup to increase their value for a trade. That has to be one of the better prospect pools for any particular position in the league, let alone all the veterans that are signed now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it can be transferred by proximity then Guhle should live with Weber immediately. I don't care if he has to fly to every junior game, you put him in Weber's house right now!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It might seem strange they drafted a dman when they desperately need scoring, but it really isnt that odd when you think about it.  Draft the best dman now with hopes of the Habs becoming the next Nashville and attempt to have the best top 4 dmen in the NHL.  Price is aging and having a very strong defense will make Prices job easier.   It will also likely make MB job easier too.  The Habs d seems to be set for years now so all he needs to do is target a 30+ goal scorer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Commandant said:

I'm not surprised we took a Dman, but I'm surprised it was a LHD. 

 

That said Guhle was better than any RHD on my board, so I'm good with it.


Habs will probably lose a LHD in the expansion draft and are short on talent at that position .

 

i think it makes sense 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, illWill said:

Bergevin trying to solve the LD problem by acquiring all of them

Assuming he doesn’t trade this one away as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

It might seem strange they drafted a dman when they desperately need scoring, but it really isnt that odd when you think about it.  Draft the best dman now with hopes of the Habs becoming the next Nashville and attempt to have the best top 4 dmen in the NHL.  Price is aging and having a very strong defense will make Prices job easier.   It will also likely make MB job easier too.  The Habs d seems to be set for years now so all he needs to do is target a 30+ goal scorer. 

I don’t mind the pick.  Chances were slim they were going to get a scorer who could have an impact within two years, unless they traded up to the top 10.  What bothers me is losing two of the pieces that could have gotten more reliable immediate scoring help.

agree with CC that the 16th pick and Domi weren’t going to get that, but adding Poehling, and another S prospect like Brook might have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cant complain too much about the pick, other than do hope he has some puck skills and is not strictly a defensive d-man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

... agree with CC that the 16th pick and Domi weren’t going to get that, but adding Poehling, and another S prospect like Brook might have.

 

Unless you are trading with a team in rebuild mode, when you "improve" your offer by piling on other-than-ELITE prospects you aren't getting back an "impact now" 30+ goal scorer

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get Bergevin's plan.  Dmen at the beginning of your plan.  Take longer to develop and you want your group to peak up at pretty much the same time.

Imagine Sergachev peaking up when Suzuki and KK also become legit #1-2, Price and Weber at the end of their brilliance and Caufield as a young support.  That's the plan, no ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:


I’m a BPA guy, we don’t even know how this ‘glut’ will play out at the NHL level. Sort it out further on down the line.

 

19 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

I don't get Bergevin's plan.  Dmen at the beginning of your plan.  Take longer to develop and you want your group to peak up at pretty much the same time.

What CC said.

They went "best player available" and pick really had little (or nothing) to do with current roster.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...