Friday October 9th 2020 Free agency

Habsfan89

37 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think that "cautious optimism" should be the watchword.

The team we have right now is, in a sense, built for the playoffs. We have big, strong, hard-to-play-against guys on D, an elite puckmover in Petry, and decent depth in Mete and Romanov. We have an ace goalie and an actually legit backup. At FW, we have no stars, but we do have five potential top-9 FWs who fit the bill of in-your-face tough grind-em-down matchups in Gally, Anderson, Armia, Danault, and Kotkaniemi.

The question to my mind is not whether this team can do damage in the playoffs; I think it can. The question is whether it can get to the playoffs in the first place. I'm pretty confident that Suzuki will be fine, but like most sophomores he will probably have his ups and downs; and if the downs occur at key times it could prove costly.

And a great deal rides on Kotkaniemi. If KK plays in beast mode like he did for those 10 post-season games, then I'll say right now this group will, barring wildfire injuries, make the playoffs. But if he falters, suddenly we will be exposed as a team with only one experienced C and not a ton of offensive talent.

That is an awful lot riding on a kid who has really done nothing up to this point in his NHL career.

So, cautious optimism. No more than that.

We should poll HW on this. Playoffs or no.

Would be interesting to see the results.

I don't think the Habs are going after any big fish, but I'm hoping they can land a sleeper type player that ends up exceeding expectations.  Like when they plucked Byron off waivers or when they traded basically nothing for Weise (the first time around) and Kulak.  It would be even better if that player was better than those guys were/have been for the Habs.