Friday October 9th 2020 Free agency

Habsfan89

Since we are not likely able to afford one of the big fish, would Galchenyuk make sense on a one year prove it deal? He has not been great since leaving the Habs and at this point knows he's a winger. He seemed to have most of his success with us so the Habs may be of some interest to revive his career (though Julien being here may deter him). He's someone you could easily slide up your lineup if injuries arise or other players struggle.

I know Bergevin would probably never do it but I think it makes some sense. 

49 minutes ago, Habsfan84 said:

Since we are not likely able to afford one of the big fish, would Galchenyuk make sense on a one year prove it deal? He has not been great since leaving the Habs and at this point knows he's a winger. He seemed to have most of his success with us so the Habs may be of some interest to revive his career (though Julien being here may deter him). He's someone you could easily slide up your lineup if injuries arise or other players struggle.

I know Bergevin would probably never do it but I think it makes some sense. 

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Upvote 1

Loved Galchenyuk, wouldn’t do it. Because I want better. I’d even prefer Kovalchuk at this point.

The main reason it makes sense is so that Bergevin could say

MB: “You see now? It was only a 3rd round pick for Anderson. Because we have Galchenyuk again and Domi does not exist.”

38 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

This X100.

Drouin is an improved version of Galchenyuk.

One erratic and frustrating LW is enough.

16 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

This X100.

Drouin is an improved version of Galchenyuk.

One erratic and frustrating LW is enough.

Just don't understand why people want to sign washed up players and/or players we traded away because it didn't work out  here.  I would just rather let a rookie play his way into the line up then give it to someone who 's been cut because they can't play at a high level anymore or a player we traded away because there was issues here.

I am not expecting much for the Habs on the UFA market, maybe an upgrade on 3rd line LW?

Someone like Granlund to push Byron out of LW on the 3rd line.He coul dalso move up the line-up  if needed

It would make for an expensive 4th line with Byron ($3.4M) and Lehkonen ($2.4M) beside Evans. But the Habs would have scoring on the top 3 lines and a decent change of getting secondary scoring from the 4th line too.

If we’re not expecting much, Kovalchuk would still be nice. 

I think he could get 40-45  points here, so whatever that is worth. 

I bet Nate Thompson is a Hab again and I also bet we offer Simmonds too much on too much term.

-I would consider Ryan on a prove it contract.

-Koivu would be a decent option but like I said, I think Thompson will be our 4th line centre.

If we do strike out today then we can revisit the trade market closer to the season as teams struggle with cap problems/internal spending limits. I see Tatar as trade bait, I do not believe he is part of MB's plans.

36 minutes ago, DON said:

Bottom six size & grit boost seems most likely.

Who is the biggest cheap checking UFA out there, that would be his most likely target.

Pretty sure we need to sign Patrick Maroon if we intend to win the cup this year.

23 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Pretty sure we need to sign Patrick Maroon if we intend to win the cup this year.

Not a Brian Boyle or Mike Grier?

1 hour ago, DON said:

Bottom six size & grit boost seems most likely.

Who is the biggest cheap checking UFA out there, that would be his most likely target.

Especially if that guy is a C.

44 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

No doubt, he has certainly been at the right place at the right time although by now winning the cup might be getting a little boring for him.

15 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Especially if that guy is a C.

Even better, a C who is willing to play on the wing when needed. This would give us flexibility in case of injuries.

I really like the idea of Koivu, assuming he's interested in playing for us, on a low-cost contract. At 6'2" and 215 lbs he ought to be big enough, too.

How are they a playoff team? They were 24th in the league, 

Only a world wide pandemic made them a playoff team, They were terrible all year, 

Only a few minor upgrades so far and Anderson is a wild card 

I think that "cautious optimism" should be the watchword.

The team we have right now is, in a sense, built for the playoffs. We have big, strong, hard-to-play-against guys on D, an elite puckmover in Petry, and decent depth in Mete and Romanov. We have an ace goalie and an actually legit backup. At FW, we have no stars, but we do have five potential top-9 FWs who fit the bill of in-your-face tough grind-em-down matchups in Gally, Anderson, Armia, Danault, and Kotkaniemi.

The question to my mind is not whether this team can do damage in the playoffs; I think it can. The question is whether it can get to the playoffs in the first place. I'm pretty confident that Suzuki will be fine, but like most sophomores he will probably have his ups and downs; and if the downs occur at key times it could prove costly.

And a great deal rides on Kotkaniemi. If KK plays in beast mode like he did for those 10 post-season games, then I'll say right now this group will, barring wildfire injuries, make the playoffs. But if he falters, suddenly we will be exposed as a team with only one experienced C and not a ton of offensive talent.

That is an awful lot riding on a kid who has really done nothing up to this point in his NHL career.

So, cautious optimism. No more than that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

A very good assessment. We are depending on the kids (Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Romanov) to step up but if they are unable to do that, we may be right back on the bubble.

As always, nothing is guaranteed.

23 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think that "cautious optimism" should be the watchword.

The team we have right now is, in a sense, built for the playoffs. We have big, strong, hard-to-play-against guys on D, an elite puckmover in Petry, and decent depth in Mete and Romanov. We have an ace goalie and an actually legit backup. At FW, we have no stars, but we do have five potential top-9 FWs who fit the bill of in-your-face tough grind-em-down matchups in Gally, Anderson, Armia, Danault, and Kotkaniemi.

The question to my mind is not whether this team can do damage in the playoffs; I think it can. The question is whether it can get to the playoffs in the first place. I'm pretty confident that Suzuki will be fine, but like most sophomores he will probably have his ups and downs; and if the downs occur at key times it could prove costly.

And a great deal rides on Kotkaniemi. If KK plays in beast mode like he did for those 10 post-season games, then I'll say right now this group will, barring wildfire injuries, make the playoffs. But if he falters, suddenly we will be exposed as a team with only one experienced C and not a ton of offensive talent.

That is an awful lot riding on a kid who has really done nothing up to this point in his NHL career.

100% agree