Bergevin 2020 is he on the right path?

Are you happy with the moves so far?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with the moves?

• Yes - these moves make us a playoff team
    • No - fire MB already
    • Maybe - If MB adds another top 6 forward

10 hours ago, huzer said:

A little success goes a long way, eh? This team was saved from being a bottom 5 team by the season ending early. They were swept by the Red Wings. 

The off-season isn’t done yet, but I don’t think these moves alone guarantee a playoff spot. Like Chris, I’m hesitant to believe that Julien will ride the kids like Muller did. Ultimately the Habs lost because they couldn’t score. Allen and Edmundson won’t help that. Maybe Anderson will, but he alone isn’t enough.

They were saved from being a bottom 5 team???  How do you figure...

Thats some silly hyperbole.  They are what they were.... 24th..... you can assume they were "saved from being a bottom 5 team" and someone else can say, they would have risen five spots in the standings if not for a shortened season.  Neither can be proven to be true.   All we have to work off of is what actually happened. 

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

They were saved from being a bottom 5 team???  How do you figure...

There were 5 teams within 5 points of each other, 2 teams behind the Habs had 2 games in hand. Montreal was 8-9-2 starting Feb 1. Take away 4 wins in 5 games to start the month, and that dips to 4-8-2. This team had two 8 game losing streaks. In Feb, there was no Kotkaniemi, Mete, Drouin. It was Folin, Vejdemo, Weise, Hudon. To say they could've dropped from 8th to 5th doesn't take too much imagination, especially considering the season was paused before the typical disastrous west coast swing.

Chicago Blackhawks 70 32 30 8 72 28 4 4 16-14-4 16-16-4 212 218 -6 6-4-0 W1
Montreal Canadiens  71 31 31 9 71 27 4 1 14-17-6 17-14-3 212 221 -9 4-5-1 L3
Buffalo Sabres           69 30 31 8 68 28 2 2 20-11-4 10-20-4 195 217 -22 3-7-0 W1
New Jersey Devils     69 28 29 12 68 24 4 6 13-11-10 15-18-2 189 230 -41 6-2-2 L1
Anaheim Ducks          71 29 33 9 67 24 5 1 16-15-5 13-18-4 187 226 -39 5-3-2 L1

If my 

2 hours ago, huzer said:

There were 5 teams within 5 points of each other, 2 teams behind the Habs had 2 games in hand. Montreal was 8-9-2 starting Feb 1. Take away 4 wins in 5 games to start the month, and that dips to 4-8-2. This team had two 8 game losing streaks. In Feb, there was no Kotkaniemi, Mete, Drouin. It was Folin, Vejdemo, Weise, Hudon. To say they could've dropped from 8th to 5th doesn't take too much imagination, especially considering the season was paused before the typical disastrous west coast swing.

Chicago Blackhawks 70 32 30 8 72 28 4 4 16-14-4 16-16-4 212 218 -6 6-4-0 W1
Montreal Canadiens  71 31 31 9 71 27 4 1 14-17-6 17-14-3 212 221 -9 4-5-1 L3
Buffalo Sabres           69 30 31 8 68 28 2 2 20-11-4 10-20-4 195 217 -22 3-7-0 W1
New Jersey Devils     69 28 29 12 68 24 4 6 13-11-10 15-18-2 189 230 -41 6-2-2 L1
Anaheim Ducks          71 29 33 9 67 24 5 1 16-15-5 13-18-4 187 226 -39 5-3-2 L1

If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.

Maybe they go on an 8 game losing streak, maybe they go on an 8 game winning streak... you don't know and neither do i. 

Fact is the record after 71 games is 500, so assuming a winning or losing streak is foolhardy. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If my 

Maybe they go on an 8 game losing streak, maybe they go on an 8 game winning streak... you don't know and neither do i. 

Fact is the record after 71 games is 500, so assuming a winning or losing streak is foolhardy. 

Ok, so they maintain and finish 8th worst in the league. 🙄 

If we’re going that route, then this thread and any thread is pretty much worthless. We don’t know how any prospect or any change to the team is going to work out. Given how the team was trending, and injuries, I’d say the outlook was definitely not towards improvement in March. You act like it’s an unreasonable assumption. 

I just don't understand why we are saying the 8 game losing streaks matter, but lets take out the 4 wins in 5 games to start the month. 

Why are we counting bad stretches but not good ones?

Why not look at the big sample... they were a team that had 71 points after 71 games.... a 500 club. 

It nearly wasn't the same team that went 500? Thompson, Cousins, Scandella, Kovalchuk out via trade. Kotkaniemi, Mete, Drouin, Tatar out via injury (yes, I know KK was in the AHL at the time).  It's not like they were replaced by equivalent talent.

Again, if they go 500, they end up in 8th instead of 5th. Whoop-dee-doo.

We can agree to disagree, but I don't think the Habs would've played 500 with Tatar missing.

17 minutes ago, huzer said:

It nearly wasn't the same team that went 500? Thompson, Cousins, Scandella, Kovalchuk out via trade. Kotkaniemi, Mete, Drouin, Tatar out via injury (yes, I know KK was in the AHL at the time).  It's not like they were replaced by equivalent talent.

Again, if they go 500, they end up in 8th instead of 5th. Whoop-dee-doo.

We can agree to disagree, but I don't think the Habs would've played 500 with Tatar missing.

Yes cause the teams below them didn't trade away UFAs for draft picks?  The Habs were the only non playoff team to dump players for draft picks at the trade deadline?  They were the only team with injuries?  No one else went through these things.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

If my 

Haha I love this line and agree.

not sure if this poll is supposed to reflect this off-season or all of 2020 as a whole?

Either way, that comment kicks ass and agree too that some of these opinions are cherry picking numbers that fit their argument rather than looking at the whole.

You think that the Habs would've at least maintained a 500 record. I don't. It's that simple. We saw it similarly in the last game of the canceled season, but apparently do not now:

On 3/10/2020 at 7:11 PM, Commandant said:

The team that didn't quit, has now quit.

I turned it off, so I'm not even seeing it.   They aren't making the playoffs... How low they finish barely matters (1% higher chance at Lafreniere per spot fallen).

That said, i wouldn't judge much from the veterans down the stretch, its pre-season mode now.

27 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

Haha I love this line and agree.

not sure if this poll is supposed to reflect this off-season or all of 2020 as a whole?

Either way, that comment kicks ass and agree too that some of these opinions are cherry picking numbers that fit their argument rather than looking at the whole.

What stat am I cherry picking? That a team would potentially do worse after they lose their leading scorer? I agree, that's some might fine cherry picking there.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I just don't understand why we are saying the 8 game losing streaks matter, but lets take out the 4 wins in 5 games to start the month. 

Why are we counting bad stretches but not good ones?

Why not look at the big sample... they were a team that had 71 points after 71 games.... a 500 club. 

They were a team that decided to be a seller. Suzuki was showing the 1st he fatigue. KK was done for the year.  Just those two alone were major reasons for beating the penguins.  Other teams also had games in hand.

I can buy into the argument that they may have maintained their position, but I think it was much more likely fir them to fall in the standings after being sellers at the trade deadline.

This year’s moves remind me of the Gomez-Gionta signings: for the right reasons.

it marks the beginning of a new phase were the Habs show they believe they can sustain a cup run over a few seasons 

I hope they do much better this time

12 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

This year’s moves remind me of the Gomez-Gionta signings: for the right reasons.

it marks the beginning of a new phase were the Habs show they believe they can sustain a cup run over a few seasons 

I hope they do much better this time

Price and Weber must be pleased.

Bergevin sure has been busy in the last two weeks:

• Petry extension
  • Alzner buy-out
  • Anderson for Domi
  • 2020 draft
  • Juulsen signed
  • Ouellet signed
  • Anderson extended
  • Mete signed
  • Toffoli signed
  • Allen extension
  • Gallagher extension

And that was after Allen and Edmundson in September.

Is he done now?

MB has hitched his wagon to a team that's basically a 500 club under his 8 year reign of terror. 

When the season shut down he was in full rebuild mode, then a pandemic and a 500 playoff run has turned into a contender? I'll believe it when i see it. 

He has also signed some pretty lengthy contracts with several NMC in them. 

We will see what the results are. 

I will give him credit for this years off season though, probably 2nd best IMO. 

50 minutes ago, Chris said:

... He has also signed some pretty lengthy contracts with several NMC in them ...

CapFriendly shows one true NMC (Price) ... several modified No trade Clauses (i.e., 5-15 teams to which players cannot be traded) and a couple of those with parallel NMC (meaning no waivers or expansion exposure without the player's permission) ... nothing like the issues TBL faces: 3 full NMCs, 4 full NTCs and one M-NTC

13 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

CapFriendly shows one true NMC (Price) ... several modified No trade Clauses (i.e., 5-15 teams to which players cannot be traded) and a couple of those with parallel NMC (meaning no waivers or expansion exposure without the player's permission) ... nothing like the issues TBL faces: 3 full NMCs, 4 full NTCs and one M-NTC

Add Petry to the NMC list - both current and future deal.

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Add Petry to the NMC list - both current and future deal.

Doesn't he have what I called a parallel NMC ... no waivers, no expansion exposure with a limited NTC?

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Bergevin sure has been busy in the last two weeks:

• Petry extension
  • Alzner buy-out
  • Anderson for Domi
  • 2020 draft
  • Juulsen signed
  • Ouellet signed
  • Anderson extended
  • Mete signed
  • Toffoli signed
  • Allen extension
  • Gallagher extension

And that was after Allen and Edmundson in September.

Is he done now?

He has been working on this reset for a couple of years, including:

• Weal for Chaput
  • Kulak for Taormina and Valiev
  • Tatar, Suzuki, and a 2019-2nd that became Norlinder and LeGuerrier for Pacioretty
  • Armia and Jack Smith (2020 4th round) and Steve Mason for Simon Bourque
  • Domi for Galchenyuk (it was a good deal)
  • Chiarot
  • Andrew Shaw and 2021-7th-rounder for Jan Mysak, 2020-7th-rounder (given in Jake Allen's trade) and the Hawks' 2021 3rd-round pick
  • Traded the 2020 4th-round received for Deslaurier for the Shark's 2021 3rd-round pick
  • Traded 2020 the late 2nd-round pick gotten for Scandella for Sean Farrel (2020 5th round) and 2021 2nd-round pick

I mean, MB made the recent changes, added extra picks for 2020 and 2021 AND kept the prospect pool intact:

Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Poehling, Evans, Fleuri, Brook, Ylönen, Romanov, J.Olofsson, Primeau,

That is very impressive!

I think MB is on the right path.  He has made the Habs a lot better and addressed needs they had.  

1) Allen as a backup will be great, especially since he was recently extended at a much better rate. 

2) Edmundson improves the defence - and at a reasonable cost. 

3) picked up 2 wingers that might be able to score 30 g, and the cost was fairly low considering

4) those annoying scenarios where the Habs have good prolonged pressure in the other teams zone but failed to score should happen less with the addition of Toffoli and Anderson. 

5)  the pickups also made the Habs bigger and more physical so they will be harder to play against.

6) locked in Petry and Gally while they still had 1 year left on their contracts

edit:

Also, I forgot to mention things he still try to do:

MB should try to extend Armia for as cheap and long as possible.  ex: 6 yrs @ 2.5mil, or 5 @ 3 mil.  If he's locked in for 5+ years for cheap it'll help the Habs cap in year 3+ when Suzuki, KK, Rmanov and Caufiled get raises.  It would equally make sense to see if he can extend Tatar and Danault too.  i.e. how bad do they want to be Habs, and for how long?  ex:  use Toffoli as leverage and see if Tatar would take a paycut (4.25-4.5 mil/yr for 4 yrs); and offer Danault a raise but nothing crazy (3.5-4mil for 5 years, possibly over 4 mil but nowhere near 5mil/yr)

My reasoning is, what does the average 50 pt guy get paid?  Try to get deals and sign guys long term for 1+ mil less than that.  If the Habs could get 5 players to buy into that, they could afford an extra 5 mil player.  If they could get 10 players to do that, they'd have 2 extra 5mil guys. 

Plus, 2-3 years from now if the Habs cant afford them all, if they signed at a low cost other teams would likely trade for them, or at least take them off waivers.