A note on patience

Roo-AH! Roo-AH!

One recurring theme in here---and among sports fans in general---is the tendency to jump to snap conclusions.

Examples:

-people who wanted us to dump Theo and go with Garon because Garon looked good in a limited backup role. Come ON. One good season as backup does not a superstar starting goalie make, as LA seems to be discovering.

-people who are attacking Theodore because of his problematic start. Come on, guys, six games is NOTHING in terms of a player's overall development.

-people who are big Yann Danis fans because the guy had ONE great NHL start. SHEEEESH. Even Red Light Racicot played some good games, guys. I guess if Danis stinks out the joint in his next game, everyone will be panicking about our backup goaltending.

-people who want us to trade Ribeiro because of his slow start and Plekanec's good one. While this is a more plausible line than the 'trade Theo' one, the fact is that Ribs has gotten better every year and consistently shown that he can raise his game when required. Meanwhile, Plekanec hasn't proven a thing.

Thank God Gainey is in charge, if we had a Houle or some other dumbell who listens to the fans, this terrific team would have been dismantled after our first loss :lol:

I don't think anyone is calling for Danis to replace Theodore. I think they're just suggesting that Danis get a start or two to fire up Theodore. All good athelets struggle and need to sit every now and again. THats healthy.

And I couldn't agree more about Ribeiro. He has gotten better every year, and hes had to play with revolving linemates this year with Ryder being hurt a few games, and ever changing left wingers. WHen Zednik gets back and Dagenias sits and Ribeiro has a steady pair of linemates to develop chemistry with he'll start playing alot better. He just needs to pick his defensive game up a bit, along with Ryder.

By that I assume you mean, Maple Leafs. I assure you your early success is short lived. It's just amtter of time before Sundin comes back, and then no one in the league will be able to stop us...

<b>Admin Edit</b>: Your banned! No explanation needed. Hope you enjoyed your time at the HW forum (well actually I dont hope that). :/)

[Edited on 2005-10-24 by puck7x]

I hear the Danis-Theo thing all the time. One good start doesn't mean squat.

I'm a huge Yann Danis fan don't get me wrong, I've seen him play in the AHL and he's quite the goalie but people just need to give Theo more time to adapt.

There must be some TML fans sites you can frequent. Isn't there?

Originally posted by Maple_leafs...

By that I assume you mean, Maple Leafs. I assure you your early success is short lived. It's just amtter of time before Sundin comes back, and then no one in the league will be able to stop us...

<b>Admin Edit</b>: Your banned! No explanation needed. Hope you enjoyed your time at the HW forum (well actually I dont hope that). :/)

I'd have no problems with that guy being here if his purpose was to discuss and debate things respecfully. That would be legitimate.

Nevertheless, he seemed to have come here solely for the purpose of razzing, taunting, etc. I don't agree with that just as much as I wouldn't condone someone from this 'family' doing the same in a Leafs' site (or any other team's site for that matter).

Bottom line, respect, respect, respect and may I add, respect. The 'golden rule' is a universally very valid one.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

I'm with you guys on the patience thing, and Gainey's the man to do just that. Sit tight, see how things play out and make a move ONLY when he knows exactly what he needs. However.......

I'm still waiting for Theodore to have a dominant SIXTY MINUTES. Yeah it's early, but like someone already said this guy is paid to be a cream of the crop goaltender, not a so-so goalie, and not a liability. Unfortunately his position is such that his mistakes are amplified, but ###### it, that's what it means to be a goalie in the NHL. So impatient may not be the word, but anxious..............yes. And if playing Danis once or twice out of turn lights the fire under Theo, well it's not the worst thing in the world.

I'm all for patience. In fact, I wish Bob had found a way to keep Hossa around(sigh).

As for Theo, I think he will be fine. Look on the bright side. Our goalie is playing mediocre hockey and we are still 6-2:)

However, I tjhink Red Fisher said it best recently on goalies complaining about the "new NHL":

"Just stop the (expletive deleted) puck!"

Originally posted by PMAC

I'm all for patience. In fact, I wish Bob had found a way to keep Hossa around(sigh).

As for Theo, I think he will be fine. Look on the bright side. Our goalie is playing mediocre hockey and we are still 6-2:)

However, I tjhink Red Fisher said it best recently on goalies complaining about the "new NHL":

Yes, Hossa is doing ok.

10 games 3 goals 4 assists 7 points +3 2 pim 12:35 Average time on ice

It could be that his improved production is due to the fact that he's not in the Montreal press/fan cooker. Regardless, I'm happy for him. If he continues that way, good for him.

I saw Garth Murray play on TV last week. He doesn't have any points yet but he's a good grit presence on the ice. He may very well have his place on the Canadiens team in the long run. We'll see.

Poor misguided child, I feel you are confused. Let me be your guide on your new found journey of knowledge.

First let me tell you your problem. You have been brainwashed, probably by an abusive drunk father. This isn't your fault and you can't be held responsible for your actions. We forgive you. We know you seek the truth and that is why you searched us out. You came seeking truth and understanding and should not be denied.

Now lets start the deprogramming process.

First I ask that you continue to lurk here. Read of this great team and the history that Leaf fans only dream of having. Now watch our games, see how a great team drafts and develops youth, watch the speed at which this game can be played. Wow that was an eye openner wasn't it.

Now I want you to close your eyes. Yes like Belfor on a break away, that's right. Now dream of the cup, see the victors skating on the ice with it held high above their heads. Got you! What was that uniform they were wearing? Red White and Blue. This is called historical info and is stored in your subcontious below the brainwashing of your poor down and out dad.

Hang out with us my boy, within a few months you will make the big move and turn off TSN realizing that they are just filling your little developing brain with rubbish.

Soon you will find yourself hanging around outside the beer store with your friends. It will be Saturday night pregame. As you ask the next grownup to come along to pull beer for you, one of your little mates will start that mournful funeral cry "Go Leafs Go" (I believe it is a golf term of some sort) and you will see the light. A single word will start to form in your heart. A sacrid word that can be uttered only by a true hockey fan. You will turn to your so called friends and proudly say that one word, loud and proud, GUY!! With that you will turn and head home with a warm glow in your heart, a feeling you have never before experienced. That is the feeling of knowing that you cheer for a great hockey team, a winner of cups, IN COLOUR OF ALL THINGS!! Wow what a glow!! You will go home, kick your dad's ass for the abuse he has instilled on your family, pick up the zapper and change the channel to the French network that is carrying a real hockey game.

Yes little misguided one, there is a Santa, and he never wears blue.

[Edited on 2005/10/25 by johnnyhasbeen]

Originally posted by shortcat1
Originally posted by PMAC

Yes, Hossa is doing ok.

10 games 3 goals 4 assists 7 points +3 2 pim 12:35 Average time on ice

It could be that his improved production is due to the fact that he's not in the Montreal press/fan cooker. Regardless, I'm happy for him. If he continues that way, good for him.

I saw Garth Murray play on TV last week. He doesn't have any points yet but he's a good grit presence on the ice. He may very well have his place on the Canadiens team in the long run. We'll see.

God I hate to say it, but we got absolutley hosed in this deal. I'm still upset about it now. The only thing I'm glab about is that I have about 10 of his rookie cards here, that will probably go up in value. I can't honestly believe Gainey gave up on him, sent him to NY for nothing. Garth Murray will never contribute anything to the Montreal Canadiens. I really can't believe that after the preseason Hossa had, and you could quite clearly see he was ready to play this year, that he kept Dagenais around and not Hossa. I know they had a log-jam of forwards and had to move somebody but, its just not a good move. They could have atleast got a draft pick for him. Sighhhh.....just can't help feeling its a disaster

Hossa is doing well in a few games. He did not exactly excel in the two losses to the Islanders. He is a magician and will pull his dissapearing act sometime around 20 games.

Did Montreal need his offense? Nope. Did Montreal need his defense abilities? Nope. This guy is soft so we should just move on. I hope he does well in his career but in no way do I see star material. And nobody wants Dags so trading Dags instead was not an option. Do you think the Rangers are STUPID? (Outside of money that is) They wanted young and cheap with potential and that was Hossa. Good luck to the Rangers and Hossa.

:hlogo:

I'm not worried about next year. I'm worried about this year. Latendresse, Chipchura and Kostitsyn will have no factor on this year, and probably not next either as Chipchura and Latendresse will most likely be in Hamilton anyways.

And whether Hossa dissapears or not, he's still a far better hockey player than Dagenais

And I never said trade Dagenais, I'd have sent Dagenais to Hamilton. Who cares if someone scooped him off waivers

Originally posted by kaos

I'm not worried about next year. I'm worried about this year. Latendresse, Chipchura and Kostitsyn will have no factor on this year, and probably not next either as Chipchura and Latendresse will most likely be in Hamilton anyways.

And whether Hossa dissapears or not, he's still a far better hockey player than Dagenais

And I never said trade Dagenais, I'd have sent Dagenais to Hamilton. Who cares if someone scooped him off waivers

I still think Dagenais will prove useful in shootouts. I would have liked to wait a little longer on Hossa but I trust Gainey. I won't be surprised to see Hossa disappear in baout 10 games.

These people who are despairing over Hossa's good showing are exactly the sort that got me starting this thread---i.e., those who jump to conclusions based on a few games. Remember, Hossa played several good games when he first came up with us. That doesn't make him a star. If I were you, kaos, I'd stick those Hossa rookie cards in my bike spokes and move on :lol:

[Edited on 2005/10/25 by Roo-AH! Roo-AH!]

No problem Poo Ah...I'll be glad to tell you I told you so in another 15, 20 or 50 games.

And I never said he was a star. Just said that we gave him away for a bum, and that we kept that piece of shit Dagenais. Not exactly a good move