Josh Anderson Signed to a 7 year 38.5 million$ Contract!

Habsfan

12 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

he is barely playing average minutes (15/game max) getting all zeroes across the stat sheet most nights (1a, -5) and was promptly demoted down the lineup within first four games. 
If he isn’t is game shape compared the short camp all players had, then that is on him.

Even if, neither him nor Anderson score again, the Habs won the deal just by adding the physicality, speed and truculence that Anderson brings, things the Habs needed/need.

what is garbage is this article of pure speculation and garbage research. Completely ignores anything that has happened since the trade, this is the worst writing I’ve seen on the main page and should be a forum post as it is so poorly put together and obviously just an opinion piece by nobody:

Canadiens Overpaid for Josh Anderson

By Dave Woodward  

Anderson-Habs.jpg

I hope Anderson  is amazing,  but I am skeptical that he lives up to his contract and term. Time will tell.  

13 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

what is garbage is this article of pure speculation and garbage research. Completely ignores anything that has happened since the trade, this is the worst writing I’ve seen on the main page and should be a forum post as it is so poorly put together and obviously just an opinion piece by nobody:

:mellow:

On 1/23/2021 at 6:53 PM, Commandant said:

Not being in game shape isn't going to be fixed in four games....

Being unable to practice and train cause of diabetes, is also not on him....

Sorry bud, but I disagree strongly with all of that. 

The entire league is not in game shape for first four games this season so that is a level playing field and invalid defence of his poor play.

what was different for him due to his illness this offseason? Almost all players were unable to train on-ice at any normal level and majority of players were not able to access the usual team gyms, local gyms, etc anyways due to pandemic.

so, again seems a pretty level playing field all around and does not defend his poor play.

he’s been playing with this illness his whole life and while I know he has to be extra cautious, he wasn’t held out of opportunity to train independently anymore than all other players.

Anderson>Domi

And also love the trade as was mentioned.

19 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

The entire league is not in game shape for first four games this season so that is a level playing field and invalid defence of his poor play.

what was different for him due to his illness this offseason? Almost all players were unable to train on-ice at any normal level and majority of players were not able to access the usual team gyms, local gyms, etc anyways due to pandemic.

so, again seems a pretty level playing field all around and does not defend his poor play.

he’s been playing with this illness his whole life and while I know he has to be extra cautious, he wasn’t held out of opportunity to train independently anymore than all other players.

Anderson>Domi

And also love the trade as was mentioned.

He was held out of team practices while other players were practicing during training camp. 

This isn't rocket science. 

I also think it will take at least 2 years to evaluate the trade, not 7 games. 

18 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I also think it will take at least 2 years to evaluate the trade, not 7 games. 

However, we can say that so far we love the way Anderson is playing! 🙂

• Upvote 1

Anderson is pretty awesome.

I do worry about how well his game will age. He basically has one trick: overpower the D with speed and strength and drive the net. This game makes him more vulnerable to injury - especially, I daresay, shoulder injury, as he crashes pretty reliably into the boards. Also, when he loses a step, he will no longer be able to blown past defencemen on the outside as well. Since he seems to have no other tools in his arsenal, that'll be trouble.

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Anderson is pretty awesome.

I do worry about how well his game will age. He basically has one trick: overpower the D with speed and strength and drive the net. This game makes him more vulnerable to injury - especially, I daresay, shoulder injury, as he crashes pretty reliably into the boards. Also, when he loses a step, he will no longer be able to blown past defencemen on the outside as well. Since he seems to have no other tools in his arsenal, that'll be trouble.

I don't know that losing some speed would make him completely helpless. It's certainly his best (and go-to) tool at this point, I agree with that. How well he can adapt to losing a step is something we likely won't know for a while yet. Some players adapt amazingly well, others do not.

7 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Obviously this is early to make solid judgments but so far Anderson is playing great for us. 

Domi on the other hand has spent time as a 4th line centre on a team with very poor centre depth and is currently playing wing - cause he continues to refuse to play defence. 

I don't recall seeing Domi on the wing in Columbus, but I admittedly don't pay super close attention to positioning. He did spend one game on the 4th line, but he's also seen 16-17 minutes a night the last couple games and is now centering Laine and Texier, so it doesn't seem like he is that far in the dog house.

That being said, Montreal definitely winning the first 10 games of this trade.

9 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

I don't recall seeing Domi on the wing in Columbus, but I admittedly don't pay super close attention to positioning. He did spend one game on the 4th line, but he's also seen 16-17 minutes a night the last couple games and is now centering Laine and Texier, so it doesn't seem like he is that far in the dog house.

That being said, Montreal definitely winning the first 10 games of this trade.

For some reason I’ve been watching Columbus games if Habs aren’t playing. 

I’m pretty sure he was playing beside zRoslovik last game. Not sure if it was all game though. #16 is the he only number I know. 

Looks like at practice Domi was centre to Texier and Laine. That line will score for sure

4 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

For some reason I’ve been watching Columbus games if Habs aren’t playing. 

I’m pretty sure he was playing beside zRoslovik last game. Not sure if it was all game though. #16 is the he only number I know. 

Looks like at practice Domi was centre to Texier and Laine. That line will score for sure

Yeah, I just rewatched some shifts from last nights game and he was on a line with Foligno and Grigorenko, where Foligno seemed to be taking the defensive responsibility of center (and faceoffs), while Domi tended to play more in the middle in the offensive zone. Lines did end up kind of all over the place, so he did probably play some with Roslovic.

1 hour ago, Fanpuck33 said:

... so it doesn't seem like he is that far in the dog house ...

Thinking of Torts, not specifically Domi, while his doghouse can have a deep, deep basement it also can have a revolving door

36 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Thinking of Torts, not specifically Domi, while his doghouse can have a deep, deep basement it also can have a revolving door

It’s interesting to me that Torts recognized Domi’s lack of defensive play and at first tried to punish (time on 4th line) then tried him on wing and then is going to use Domi as centre with another centre (Texier) so that other centre can handle defensive responsibilities!

Torts is looking hard for that fit and I think Laine might be the answer 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

It’s interesting to me that Torts recognized Domi’s lack of defensive play and at first tried to punish (time on 4th line) then tried him on wing and then is going to use Domi as centre with another centre (Texier) so that other centre can handle defensive responsibilities!

Torts is looking hard for that fit and I think Laine might be the answer 

Well, Texier has been used almost exclusively at wing at the NHL level, so I don't know that it will go down like it did with Foligno last game. Texier started that game at center, but didn't end there.

How can Laine NOT be the answer? Domi is a two-trick pony: he’s chippy and he makes plays. The rest of his game is a big fat zero. But the fact that he can distribute the puck means that if you put him with a scoring machine like Laine, he should be able to rack up the points. 

He’ll still be crap in his own end; that’s why Domi is not a top-6 C on a really serious team. But the points totals should paper over those limitations, at least for a while.

On 2/7/2021 at 10:17 AM, GHT120 said:

Seems like CBJ didn't scout Domi properly. None of this comes as a surprise.

What a gong show...

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

What a gong show...

And now Laine gets benched for the 3rd period .... how much longer can they put their trust in Torts? 

10 hours ago, revvvrob said:

And now Laine gets benched for the 3rd period .... how much longer can they put their trust in Torts? 

I think it is a short leash ... CBJ are now 6th in points percentage in the Discover Central Division (although  .002 behind Chicago) ... if he pulls the team up into a solid playoff position then I think he is OK ... but if they languish or sink Torts will be in trouble ... of course it is possible that if Jarmo made the Domi and Laine trades with Torts' input (or worse at his behest) then Jarmo may fear that ownership will decide that 8 years of Jarmo and 5+ of Torts is enough

23 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

What a gong show...

I mean, he was one year removed from being a 72 point and +20 player at center. There was always the danger that he'd react to Torts the same way he eventually responded to Julien, but you can't make an assumption like that. I don't think it was at all irresponsible to view Domi as a 2nd line center. I don't think it's fair to say his rough start means it was a failure by the front office. It just means Torts' ego is running wild and Domi is one of many targets.

Just now, Fanpuck33 said:

I mean, he was one year removed from being a 72 point and +20 player at center. There was always the danger that he'd react to Torts the same way he eventually responded to Julien, but you can't make an assumption like that. I don't think it was at all irresponsible to view Domi as a 2nd line center. I don't think it's fair to say his rough start means it was a failure by the front office. It just means Torts' ego is running wild and Domi is one of many targets.

I agree with you - but if Domi is your second-line C, you have to take him on the assumption that he is crap on his own end and mediocre on the draw. Any organization that insists he transcend those limitations has not done its homework on him.

46 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I agree with you - but if Domi is your second-line C, you have to take him on the assumption that he is crap on his own end and mediocre on the draw. Any organization that insists he transcend those limitations has not done its homework on him.

However, we are expecting Suzuki to transcend his personal limitations on the draw. Not to say that Suzuki won't, but what's good for the goose should be good for the gander, right?

Other than that, though, Suzuki is at a completely different level than Domi at C -- and still improving.