Josh Anderson Signed to a 7 year 38.5 million$ Contract!

Habsfan

7 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I agree with you - but if Domi is your second-line C, you have to take him on the assumption that he is crap on his own end and mediocre on the draw. Any organization that insists he transcend those limitations has not done its homework on him.

I don’t think being lousy in the draw is an issue (McDavid, Crosby also struggled - albeit they are elite players committed to being the best players. That lack of commitment to improve is essentially the issue with Domi.   Becoming a decent defensive player can be learned. Crosby did, as did Yzerman before him.  The issue with Domi is more on just coasting on his natural skill and not putting the work to improve defensively and on the draw.  That laziness and lack of drive to become a well-rounded player in a crux is the issues with the Domi’s and Drouin’s. When they are producing, you overlook those deficiencies, when the are not the issues become magnified.

7 hours ago, tomh009 said:

However, we are expecting Suzuki to transcend his personal limitations on the draw. Not to say that Suzuki won't, but what's good for the goose should be good for the gander, right?

Other than that, though, Suzuki is at a completely different level than Domi at C -- and still improving.

Suzuki is a skilled and responsible player - something you could never say about Domi (the responsible part). I may be wrong, but I’m pretty confident that Suzuki over time will improve enough on the draw that it’s not seen as a liability. He may never become elite on the draw, but he should be able to get over 50% if he puts in the work.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

With only one goal in these playoffs (his only point). 

With only 2 goals in the last 15 games of the regular season (no assist either). 

3 points in his last 27 games. 

Is this the point where we start worrying or should we wait another 27 games ?

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

With only 2 goals in the last 15 games of the regular season (no assist either). 

He was a beast last night and he had several great chances. 

I expect goals to come 

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

I believe he is playing hurt since the TOR series

like Gallagher, Weber

55 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I think you might be right. He's not the same.

The announcers last night mentioned that he’d been hurt in the Toronto series. 

The problem with Anderson is that his style is one which guarantees injuries. I sure would love to see him in beast mode for this series - that could make a real difference.

He was still one of their best players last night.  Now that the streak is over and messing with the lineup makes more sense, I would out Tatar back into the lineup on the Kotkianiemi/Anderson line. I'm not sure if that puts Byron in the press box or you move him to Lehkonen or Armia's spot, but I think that move would add some offensive punch to the lineup. Vegas showed that we are going to need skill to beat them, or at least more of an ability to move the puck effectively. 

3 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

He was still one of their best players last night.  Now that the streak is over and messing with the lineup makes more sense, I would out Tatar back into the lineup on the Kotkianiemi/Anderson line. I'm not sure if that puts Byron in the press box or you move him to Lehkonen or Armia's spot, but I think that move would add some offensive punch to the lineup. Vegas showed that we are going to need skill to beat them, or at least more of an ability to move the puck effectively. 

Anderson, best at what though? Sure, he is strong skater and big winger, but dont need more good checkers at moment. 

I wouldnt change forward lines and not sure are any d-back ups worth anything to insert.

Well, Habs have zero all-star forwards, so the 'needing skill' part simply aint happening this year, but is truly what they are missing most...an elite top ten scorer. But been awhile since had one, Kovalev was last that kinda fit the bill and being closest to being top ten scorer.

8 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

... I would out Tatar back into the lineup on the Kotkianiemi/Anderson line. I'm not sure if that puts Byron in the press box or you move him to Lehkonen or Armia's spot, but I think that move would add some offensive punch to the lineup ...

As JoeLassister pointed out above ... 3 points in his 27 games hardly indicates that Tartar "adds offence" ... and he is a notoriously poor playoff performer in any event ... he averages about 0.6pts/gm in the regular season and 0.3 in the playoffs ... and I don't know that he matches up well to the VGK style.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Well, Habs have zero all-star forwards, so the 'needing skill' part simply aint happening this year, but is truly what they are missing most...an elite top ten scorer. But been awhile since had one, Kovalev was last that kinda fit the bill and being closest to being top ten scorer.

To paraphrase the Commandant, there will be 31 other teams looking for a top-10 scorer as well.

But, I do need to point out that Toffoli was 7th in the league for (goal) scoring in the regular season.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

As JoeLassister pointed out above ... 3 points in his 27 games hardly indicates that Tartar "adds offence" ... and he is a notoriously poor playoff performer in any event ... he averages about 0.6pts/gm in the regular season and 0.3 in the playoffs ... and I don't know that he matches up well to the VGK style.

His playoff record is not good. But if the player he is replacing is not contributing, it may be worth taking a chance that he might be able to do it this time.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Anderson, best at what though? Sure, he is strong skater and big winger, but dont need more good checkers at moment. 

I wouldnt change forward lines and not sure are any d-back ups worth anything to insert.

Best at being strong on the puck. Actually carrying the puck into the zone. Driving to the net. He was the most noticeable forward last night not on the Suzuki line. At least offensively.

I disagree. We need to find a way to get the 1st and/or 3rd line going. The old man line been a major contributor, but we're not going to win if them and the Suzuki lines are the only ones creating offense with any regularity. We need to get Gallagher and Anderson to put up points. Tatar is more capable offensively than other guys who are in the lineup and would be more likely to help jump start a line. Especially in a contract year, he's got to be chomping at the bit to get back out there and repair his value to some degree.

1 hour ago, Fanpuck33 said:

I disagree. We need to find a way to get the 1st and/or 3rd line going. The old man line been a major contributor, but we're not going to win if them and the Suzuki lines are the only ones creating offense with any regularity. We need to get Gallagher and Anderson to put up points. Tatar is more capable offensively than other guys who are in the lineup and would be more likely to help jump start a line. Especially in a contract year, he's got to be chomping at the bit to get back out there and repair his value to some degree.

In last night's game, the first and second lines had the most scoring chances by far, neither third or fourth could measure up. None of the lines scored a goal so can't use that as a yardstick.

If Tatar is not injured, and Ducharme brings him in, I would prefer to see him replace Byron. And maybe try Evans in place of Staal, who was not effective in Game 1.

1 hour ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Best at being strong on the puck. Actually carrying the puck into the zone. Driving to the net. He was the most noticeable forward last night not on the Suzuki line. At least offensively.

0 points...again, is what is my issue, dont care if he is doing all the right things. Tatar is equal in playoff offense.

I would much prefer to see him get 6 shots and 2 hits next game, not other way around again.

Coaches have sat Tatar, so i have to assume they have for good reasons, assume they trust Lehkonen (who had 4 shots) and Byron, who is still flying around the ice and effective checker.

I kinda would like to see if the "motivation" factor might kick in and the 20+goal guy is back producing next to Gallagher, Danault.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

In last night's game, the first and second lines had the most scoring chances by far, neither third or fourth could measure up. None of the lines scored a goal so can't use that as a yardstick.

If Tatar is not injured, and Ducharme brings him in, I would prefer to see him replace Byron. And maybe try Evans in place of Staal, who was not effective in Game 1.

I heard on TSN 690 that on one website they had listed Tatar as injured, but that there is no information anywhere to confirm or deny if that is the case

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher

Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield

Byron/Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Anderson

Armia-Stall-Perry

sucks for Byron or Lehkonen but the other forwards are

more likely to score 

9 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I heard on TSN 690 that on one website they had listed Tatar as injured, but that there is no information anywhere to confirm or deny if that is the case

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher

Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield

Byron/Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Anderson

Armia-Stall-Perry

sucks for Byron or Lehkonen but the other forwards are

more likely to score 

I would really keep Lehkonen with Danault and Gallagher. They have energy, they are playing well together and they are creating scoring chances. Don't change what isn't broken.

Tatar might be able to energize Kotkaniemi and Anderson, though.

On TSN690 this morning one of their media guests, can't recall the name but believe he was from RDS ... he believes that Tartar, knowing he won't be back, has already checked out ... still supports his teammates but is personally "gone" ... don't know if he is correct, but it is consistent with his play in recent weeks ... -14 since mid-April, with 0 goals and 4 assists

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I would really keep Lehkonen with Danault and Gallagher. They have energy, they are playing well together and they are creating scoring chances. Don't change what isn't broken.

Tatar might be able to energize Kotkaniemi and Anderson, though.

In my opinion, Tatar seems to only play well with Danault and Gallagher:spamafote:

17 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I feel like the handful of times Anderson drove to the net were more dangerous that anything the top line did. I'm shocked they even had 7 shots combined. People are talking about Anderson not putting up points... while our top line is doing an amazing job shutting down the other teams' top lines, they have combined for 10 points. Just based on how well they defend, they need to be countering and putting up some more points.

4 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

I feel like the handful of times Anderson drove to the net were more dangerous that anything the top line did. I'm shocked they even had 7 shots combined. People are talking about Anderson not putting up points... while our top line is doing an amazing job shutting down the other teams' top lines, they have combined for 10 points. Just based on how well they defend, they need to be countering and putting up some more points.

Over the 7 game win streak... Gallagher had two goals, Lehkonen had 2, and Evans had 1. 

Thats 5 goals from that line.

Good example on Byron’s goal last night of the little things Anderson does to help even when not getting points. 
His forecheck often results in the following line getting offensive zone time against tired opponents, he backchecks hard as well.

Definitely needs to put up points to justify the contract, but at least he doesn’t just disappear when not hitting score sheet. He rarely takes shifts off, brings an element all teams need some of with size, speed.

Had he continued to play with Toffolli and Suzuki throughout season, I believe his point totals would have been higher. They were a force early on.

The balanced approach, emergence of Caufield helps the team spread the talent around, but I think Anderson’s personal results suffered as a result. All good for the better of the team though.

he seems to be well liked, good teammate to boot.