Jump to content

Josh Anderson Signed to a 7 year 38.5 million$ Contract!


Recommended Posts

If Anderson rebounds and fills the net then this contract is amazing.

 

However...this is an absurdly high risk contract that has a greater chance of becoming our next Alzner. MB threw 7 years at a guy that had a severe injury and is coming of an awful season. I think the salary is fine (I thought 4.5 million was ideal) but the term is crazy.image.png

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven’t read the article yet; the title turned me off    but even if it is speculation or badly written, I would not throw under the bus one of habsworld writers     

WOW!! 😮😮😮 I sure wasn't expecting that from Mr. "Handles Nickles Like Manhole Covers" Bergevin.   This is a huge risk on a guy coming off a disastrous season. I don't understand why there wa

Posted Images

12 hours ago, habs rule said:

I am a little suprised at 7 years, the dollar amount looks about right. 1 thing I will say is we are going to have a much bigger team next year. Bergy has finally done some of the things we have talked about for years. I am impressed for a change.

fixed that for ya

Link to post
Share on other sites

how many players in the NHL managed plus 25 goals and plus 200 hits in the same season? Taking a look at his trajectory, he was projecting to possibly break out in 2019/20 before packing it in after 20 games playing with a torn shoulder

 

17g in 78 games

19g in 68

27g in 82

 

very excited for this more so because he brings a huge frame throws the body BUT CAN SKATE!

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yeah, if Anderson gets back on form and stays there, we will love this contract. 

 

It just seems weird that a guy with 4 points in his RFA year, with the league in a flat cap, manages to score a deal this big. The Habs seemed to just forego any pretense of having leverage. If Anderson turns put to be injury prone, or else just regresses to being the guy he was before 2018-19 (basically Joel Armia), it will be a disaster. The Habs took a big 7-year risk here based on one breakout season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The Habs took a big 7-year risk here based on one breakout season.

But, if he helps win in next couple years that is the main thing isnt it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Oh yeah, if Anderson gets back on form and stays there, we will love this contract. 

 

It just seems weird that a guy with 4 points in his RFA year, with the league in a flat cap, manages to score a deal this big. The Habs seemed to just forego any pretense of having leverage. If Anderson turns put to be injury prone, or else just regresses to being the guy he was before 2018-19 (basically Joel Armia), it will be a disaster. The Habs took a big 7-year risk here based on one breakout season.

A contributing factor may have been that Anderson was set to become a UFA next summer ... MB needed to get him signed as potentially  losing his "big" acquisition (pun intended) after one season ... hence Anderson did have some leverage to counter the flat cap issues ... plus, there just aren't a lot of right-wingers with Anderson's combination of size and speed ... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

how many players in the NHL managed plus 25 goals and plus 200 hits in the same season? Taking a look at his trajectory, he was projecting to possibly break out in 2019/20 before packing it in after 20 games playing with a torn shoulder

 

17g in 78 games

19g in 68

27g in 82

 

very excited for this more so because he brings a huge frame throws the body BUT CAN SKATE!

 

 

 

 

It’s a huge risk.  I don’t like overpaying fir a guy who only had 1 or 2 goals and is coming off an major injury. Than on top of that, vomiting 7ta, without getting more of a discount is mind boggling.  I think a healthy, 27 goal Anderson would be great, is just don’t get paying the price we did and signing him to the contract that we did given his past year makes sense.  Hi t would be one thing to take a chance on a player with three or four 25+ goal years and a chance in a guy whose only had one good year and than had a huge injury.  You’d expect a discount in both trade and contract value.  Yes there were other teams interested, but no one else was willing to pay that salary.

 

This is the type of risky deal that either saves MB’s tenure in Montreal, or gets him

fired (or at least should get him fired), in Anderson doesn’t work out. Anderson’s got all the tools - speed, size and skill - but health and consistency need to be a factor - especially in the current COVID environment. Only two UFA’s got long term and high dollars (markstrom and Krug) amd krug would have gottten more if it wasn’t for the flat cap.

 

inhopw it works out for us, but would have preferred giving up more picks and prospects to get a more established star winger.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

It’s a huge risk.  I don’t like overpaying fir a guy who only had 1 or 2 goals and is coming off an major injury. Than on top of that, vomiting 7ta, without getting more of a discount is mind boggling.  I think a healthy, 27 goal Anderson would be great, is just don’t get paying the price we did and signing him to the contract that we did given his past year makes sense.  Hi t would be one thing to take a chance on a player with three or four 25+ goal years and a chance in a guy whose only had one good year and than had a huge injury.  You’d expect a discount in both trade and contract value.  Yes there were other teams interested, but no one else was willing to pay that salary.

 

This is the type of risky deal that either saves MB’s tenure in Montreal, or gets him

fired (or at least should get him fired), in Anderson doesn’t work out. Anderson’s got all the tools - speed, size and skill - but health and consistency need to be a factor - especially in the current COVID environment. Only two UFA’s got long term and high dollars (markstrom and Krug) amd krug would have gottten more if it wasn’t for the flat cap.

 

inhopw it works out for us, but would have preferred giving up more picks and prospects to get a more established star winger.

 

I feel this is the make it or break it season for MB ... 21/22 is the last season of his contract and I am of the opinion that GMs should not "playout" the last year of their contract ... to tempting to make desperate deals to try to save their jobs ... and if they have to vet every deal with their boss that, to me, says the boss should have hired another GM he trusts to his job

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, it's a significant risk.

 

Part of me respects that MB took it, however. He has swung for the fences on a player who - if he pans out - will be the type of high-impact guy teams drool over, that elusive 25-goal, hard-skating, hard-hitting power forward that will be the envy of every other franchise. And seems built for the playoffs to boot.

 

And I agree that if it doesn't pan out, MB should be fired. He already took one huge gamble which blew up in his face with Drouin. You don't get two of those. Or at least, you shouldn't.

 

We have to be aware that Weber's window is closing and so, to a lesser extent, is Price's. The organization has clearly flipped the script and now sees itself as on the cusp of doing real damage. MB, in other words, is all in. The core we have now is all MB's - which, I believe, is what his ego has wanted all along, a team that is truly "his." That's the hill he's decided to die on, and if it doesn't pan out over the next 2-3 years, he deserves to die on it.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems to me that Bergy's core is middling in terms of talent, barring enormous leaps by both Suzuki and KK and a D prospect. Once Gallagher is locked in at big money our flexibility will be gone and we'll be hoping for a bunch of dominoes to fall just right to be a top 10 team, let alone a Cup contender.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Neech said:

It seems to me that Bergy's core is middling in terms of talent, barring enormous leaps by both Suzuki and KK and a D prospect. Once Gallagher is locked in at big money our flexibility will be gone and we'll be hoping for a bunch of dominoes to fall just right to be a top 10 team, let alone a Cup contender.

 

 

 

That is a good assessment at the NHL level. I think MB may have done enough to make the Habs a playoff team, but it is far from being a contender because of what you mention. Having JA signed long-term gives the Habs a good core to build around: Danault, Galagher, Douin, Suzuki, Anderson, Lehkonen, Kotkaniemi, Armia

 

But they are still missing an elite scorer that can put away a game or score a goal on the PP or on 6-vs-5 situations... I believe they are one player away from being a contender, but that player has to be an elite forward (which I do not see them adding any time soon).

 

Unfortunately, their prospects are 2-3 years away from being impactful NHLers:: Caufield, Norlinder, Romanov, Ylonen, Brook, Harris -> those who have not played a game in the NHL yet; plus Fleury, Poehling, Juulsen and Evans which still need time to develop.

 

Anderson doesn't make them a contender, but I think it makes the team better, more than Domi did even if the stats show different. Andersonis a better fit.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Pierre-Luc Dubois on Josh Anderson:

« C’est un joueur rare... Ça ne court pas les rues des ailiers comme lui. Je dirais que tu peux compter sur les doigts d’une main les joueurs dans le moule de Josh Anderson : gros, rapide, intimidant, robuste, marqueur et bon en échec avant. Il est un mélange de tout. Je sais que les partisans l’aimeront à Montréal. Il se donne toujours sur la glace. 

Comme coéquipier, Josh est aussi une très bonne personne. Il est drôle et très sympathique, mais aussi sérieux. J’ai joué trois ans avec lui à Columbus. J’en garde de beaux souvenirs. »

 

"He's a rare player ... Wingers like him are hard to come by. I'd say you can count on the fingers of one hand the players in Josh Anderson's mold: big, fast, intimidating, robust, scorer and good on the fore-check. He is a mixture of everything. I know the fans will love him in Montreal. He always gives all of himself on the ice. 

As a teammate, Josh is also a very good person. He is funny and very friendly, but also serious. I played with him for three years in Columbus. I have fond memories of it."

 

https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2020/11/03/john-tortorella-dubois-respecte-le-personnage

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

So far so good with Anderson. That size and speed is going to be exciting.

I see Domi played fourth line minutes for CBJ last night, early returns seems to favour les Habs on this one.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

So far so good with Anderson. That size and speed is going to be exciting.

I see Domi played fourth line minutes for CBJ last night, early returns seems to favour les Habs on this one.

 

Yes ... but one game is really, really early! 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

ight, early returns seems to favour les Habs on this one.

 

Huge understatement, can i say foolish without being insulting? Unless was intended as a joke?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DON said:

Huge understatement, can i say foolish without being insulting? Unless was intended as a joke?

 Don’t know why foolish given how early on and many people saying Domi will thrive with CBJ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Yes ... but one game is really, really early! 🙂

 Anderson played like Anderson, def early but he played as expected.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DON said:

Huge understatement, can i say foolish without being insulting? Unless was intended as a joke?

And no, you can’t say that without being insulting.

good job I don’t really care.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

So far so good with Anderson. That size and speed is going to be exciting.

I see Domi played fourth line minutes for CBJ last night, early returns seems to favour les Habs on this one.

 

 

It may be a rollercoaster for Max with Torts ... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

 Don’t know why foolish given how early on and many people saying Domi will thrive with CBJ?

What’s your point? Max should still do well in Columbus...

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

So far so good with Anderson. That size and speed is going to be exciting.

I see Domi played fourth line minutes for CBJ last night, early returns seems to favour les Habs on this one.

 

 

Domi had to miss a bit of practice time and training camp with the covid outbreak in columbus.  As a type-1 he has to be extra careful not to contract it. Hes not as in game shape as others on the team.

 

Lets consider the circumstances before we say Max isnt doing well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2021 at 4:54 PM, Commandant said:

 

Domi had to miss a bit of practice time and training camp with the covid outbreak in columbus.  As a type-1 he has to be extra careful not to contract it. Hes not as in game shape as others on the team.

 

Lets consider the circumstances before we say Max isnt doing well.


he is barely playing average minutes (15/game max) getting all zeroes across the stat sheet most nights (1a, -5) and was promptly demoted down the lineup within first four games. 
If he isn’t is game shape compared the short camp all players had, then that is on him.

 

Even if, neither him nor Anderson score again, the Habs won the deal just by adding the physicality, speed and truculence that Anderson brings, things the Habs needed/need.

 

 

what is garbage is this article of pure speculation and garbage research. Completely ignores anything that has happened since the trade, this is the worst writing I’ve seen on the main page and should be a forum post as it is so poorly put together and obviously just an opinion piece by nobody:

Canadiens Overpaid for Josh Anderson

By Dave Woodward  

Anderson-Habs.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:


he is barely playing average minutes (15/game max) getting all zeroes across the stat sheet most nights (1a, -5) and was promptly demoted down the lineup within first four games. 
If he isn’t is game shape compared the short camp all players had, then that is on him.

 

Even if, neither him nor Anderson score again, the Habs won the deal just by adding the physicality, speed and truculence that Anderson brings, things the Habs needed/need.

 

 

what is garbage is this article of pure speculation and garbage research. Completely ignores anything that has happened since the trade, this is the worst writing I’ve seen on the main page and should be a forum post as it is so poorly put together and obviously just an opinion piece by nobody:

Canadiens Overpaid for Josh Anderson

By Dave Woodward  

Anderson-Habs.jpg

 


I haven’t read the article yet; the title turned me off 

 

but even if it is speculation or badly written, I would not throw under the bus one of habsworld writers 

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...