Free Agent Day

dlbalr

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

Agreed ... believe MB said they were interested or watching the situation ... that means he could even have been in touch with Hall's agent, but if what Hall wanted wasn't anywhere close to what  MB would pay then why take the time to make an offer

Frankly, I’d rather have had him make the $8m offer to Hall for 1 season, than the Domi trade.  Anderson MAY regain his form and help the habs, I think Hall was more of a guarantee for 75-85 point.  Especially with our new found wealth at centre.  That would have also allowed us to move Domi to fill other needs.   

24 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Frankly, I’d rather have had him make the $8m offer to Hall for 1 season, than the Domi trade.  Anderson MAY regain his form and help the habs, I think Hall was more of a guarantee for 75-85 point.  Especially with our new found wealth at centre.  That would have also allowed us to move Domi to fill other needs.   

The habs do not have an equivalent to Eichel. Why would Hall sign with Montreal ?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

The habs do not have an equivalent to Eichel. Why would Hall sign with Montreal ?

Habs are a bubble team, Buffalo has been a regular lottery team.  They have a horrible contract in skinner, no goalie and their only good dman is 20 years old.  
ownership firing most of the scouting staff also doesn’t bode well.

25 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Habs are a bubble team, Buffalo has been a regular lottery team.  They have a horrible contract in skinner, no goalie and their only good dman is 20 years old.  

I agree that it is the butt howl of the league, but for a player (Hall) looking to score a lot of points before turning UFA again, it is not a bad pick: low expectations, playing with Eichel and having the advantage in negotiations

10 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don't think the size of a scouting staff is going to impact anyone's willingness to sign with a team.  Hall's camp came down to what was best for him to rebuild his value.  It doesn't matter if Buffalo's goaltending and defence is weak or how overpaid Jeff Skinner is.  What matters is him getting 75-85 points and showing other potential suitors that he is indeed still a top-liner for next year's UFA period.  He has a better shot of doing that with Eichel and a coach he really likes regardless of some of the other negatives around the team.

43 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I don't think the size of a scouting staff is going to impact anyone's willingness to sign with a team.  Hall's camp came down to what was best for him to rebuild his value.  It doesn't matter if Buffalo's goaltending and defence is weak or how overpaid Jeff Skinner is.  What matters is him getting 75-85 points and showing other potential suitors that he is indeed still a top-liner for next year's UFA period.  He has a better shot of doing that with Eichel and a coach he really likes regardless of some of the other negatives around the team.

If I played in Edmonton NJ and Arizona in my 10 year career.... its a no brainer I would sign with Buffalo next when given a chance to choose my own destination. Why mess with success 

26 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

If I played in Edmonton NJ and Arizona in my 10 year career.... its a no brainer I would sign with Buffalo next when given a chance to choose my own destination. Why mess with success 

A funny but sharp observation...this guy's career has been wasted on garbage organizations. 

It will be interesting to see where his priorities lie if he is still highly sought-after when the league returns to normal (in, say, 2-3 years).

The advantage of the Habs signing him might have lain in a Jeff Petry scenario - you acquire a guy who has spent his career with Mickey Mouse franchises, shock him with Montreal's gold-plated first-class operation and induce him to sign on longer-term because he can't believe how awesome it is to be riding in a Mercedes of an organization instead of a Corolla. Anyhow, moot point now.

31 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Good point. LOL  I never thought Buffalo would be the destination of choice but life is full of surprises. Maybe 1 year with Buffalo then he will try Detroit for a year or two. 

13 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t know, I think Buffalo may have been willing to sign him long term  ...  I don’t know if he’s going to get much more next year - 2 years from now their would be a better chance, but than he’d be 31.  Next year revenues are also going to be down, so I think we’re looking at least 3 years before the cap goes up.  

I expect Sabres were willing to go long term ... $64,000 Question is for how much?  ...  apparently not enough to satisfy Hall ... hypothetically, if the 5/6yr deals were at $5.5 this time, and if his decision works and he has a big-time season alongside Eichel ("bet on himself") then his 5 yr-deals next offseason might be significantly higher ($7 or above) ... at the moment there are 17 teams with $30M or more in 21/22 cap space ... ***NOT*** predicting anything on Hall's production this season or a future contract ... just speculating on Halls thought process

12 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I agree that it is the butt howl of the league, but for a player (Hall) looking to score a lot of points before turning UFA again, it is not a bad pick: low expectations, playing with Eichel and having the advantage in negotiations

Totally agree ... this had nothing to do with winning and everything to do with producing BIG numbers to get a better 4-6 year deal next off-season ... likley not back to pre-Covid numbers but he is hoping for much better offers than he just received for multi-years

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I don't think the size of a scouting staff is going to impact anyone's willingness to sign with a team...

I would add the caveat "when winning is not the priority" ... the overall management and direction of the franchise likely meant nothing to Hall in this circumstance ... but if he was signing long-term and contending for a Cup was important, then scouting staff and other off-ice factors would matter.

15 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

I am hoping Dadonov. He  would be cheaper, comes with less drama also.

Like any of the 3 listed. Dadanov played with some offensive players, so not if he made them better or vice versa. Still he would be cheaper. I guess it's hard to guess how it plays out in this Covid year. Hoping for Toffoli even on the left side. 

• Upvote 1

• dlbalr locked this topic