Free Agent Day

dlbalr

I’d be fine with Corey Perry but I like my vets. 

T.J. Brodie to the Leafs, 4 x $5M.  That's a nice pickup for them but also puts them over the cap with Mikheyev and Dermott needing new deals so they'll have to get rid of someone at some point.

Nick Cousins gets 2 x $1.5M from Nashville.  That's a good raise for him after being non-tendered.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Torey Krug to St. Louis, 7 years, $6.5M per.  That's one team I thought had no chance at getting him.

Seven years helps to do the convincing! And with Pietrangelo leaving, they needed somebody to fill the gap.

Corey Crawford to New Jersey, 2 years, $3.9M per.

Chris Tanev to Calgary, 4 years, $4.5M per.

Vinni Lettieri to Anaheim which I only mention as I believe the Habs were among the teams pursuing him.

Boy...Calgary pilfering two Vancouver stalwarts in Tanev and Markstrom. That may well help to rekindle what was once a half-decent rivalry. 

I think their G will be fine, but the Canucks, who were already pretty sketchy on the back end, will miss Tanev and possibly their equivalent to Mete, Troy Stetcher. They'll need to figure something significant out on D or else regress for sure. 

They seem now to be paying the price for wasting massive cap space on bloated salaries in their bottom 6. I keep waiting to see them get creative with that dead money - ship someone out somehow, move Erickson to the farm, *anything* - but they seem inert. Ownership's unwilling to eat bad contracts like Molson did with Alzner, I guess.

14 hours ago, dlbalr said:

T.J. Brodie to the Leafs, 4 x $5M.  That's a nice pickup for them but also puts them over the cap with Mikheyev and Dermott needing new deals so they'll have to get rid of someone at some point.

Nick Cousins gets 2 x $1.5M from Nashville.  That's a good raise for him after being non-tendered.

is hyman signed yet?

tanev got the 4.5 i thought the habs should of gave him...

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Boy...Calgary pilfering two Vancouver stalwarts in Tanev and Markstrom. That may well help to rekindle what was once a half-decent rivalry. 

I think their G will be fine, but the Canucks, who were already pretty sketchy on the back end, will miss Tanev and possibly their equivalent to Mete, Troy Stetcher. They'll need to figure something significant out on D or else regress for sure. 

They seem now to be paying the price for wasting massive cap space on bloated salaries in their bottom 6. I keep waiting to see them get creative with that dead money - ship someone out somehow, move Erickson to the farm, *anything* - but they seem inert. Ownership's unwilling to eat bad contracts like Molson did with Alzner, I guess.

has a window opened up for a Brock Boeser move to pick up Defence? 

16 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

has a window opened up for a Brock Boeser move to pick up Defence? 

I'm sure they would listen...but the Habs are not positioned to be able to trade defencemen. 

There are still some D of note on the market. The Canucks had better sign one. If they can't afford Peiterangelo, they should at least give Barrie a look. 

One curious aside in all this is that good old Jordie Benn may end up seeing more ice time. He was basically an expensive black ace a good portion of last season.

EDIT: As much as l'affaire Cunneyworth soured me on Molson, I'll say this much: he ponies up the dough. Montreal has a rep as an organization that goes first-class. That the interfering real estate moguls who run the Canucks appear unwilling to eat bad contracts shows up the value of having a generous owner. Imagine if Alzner was still on the team because the owner refused to swallow a bad contract, and you see what might be Van's dilemma. Let's be grateful for small mercies.

Seems after the anderson and mete signings we have everyone we need to resign done and about 4.5 mill in cap space give or take and on who is sent to the AHL.

Bergevin seems to be slow playing this to see what UFA doesnt have a home at the end of this or what team needs a salary dump trade.  Not a bad strategy to be honest.

28 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Seems after the anderson and mete signings we have everyone we need to resign done and about 4.5 mill in cap space give or take and on who is sent to the AHL.

Bergevin seems to be slow playing this to see what UFA doesnt have a home at the end of this or what team needs a salary dump trade.  Not a bad strategy to be honest.

Where is Granlund likely headed, staying in Nashville or not a fit for Habs anyways?

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

They are in tough with Errickson (2 more years) and sutter, Bartschi really overpaid and even though they’ll Have around $19m coming off the books next year, they have to resign Patterson and Hughes and replace Edler.  They really are a team that is screwed with that bullshit Luongo recapture - still don’t get how you can penalize teams for playing within the guidelines of the old CBA - especially after the devils were forgiven when Kovalchuk decided to go back to Russia.

if they can some how fond a way to move Sutter and Bartcshi, or just bury him in the minors, they should take a run at Peitrangelo. That would more than make up fir losing Taney - would make things tight. next year, but I think if you have a better GM in Vancouver, this could be a really good team.  Getting Taffoli and giving up assets and not resigning really hurts.

< nm >

But, is there a way to delete your own posts?

39 minutes ago, DON said:

Where is Granlund likely headed, staying in Nashville or not a fit for Habs anyways?

20 hours ago, dlbalr said:

... Michael Grabner wants to wait until there's more certainty on when next season starts before committing.

At the right price might be a fit with habs ... his approach seems risky to me as money may well get spent before certainty emerges

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Grabner or Granlund?

D'OH

Shouldn't try to do two things at once

3 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

is hyman signed yet?

tanev got the 4.5 i thought the habs should of gave him...

Hyman wasn't a free agent, he's got one more year at $2.25M.  Tanev at $4.5M to be on the third pairing behind Weber and Petry doesn't make much sense.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

< nm >

But, is there a way to delete your own posts?

I don't think there is.  Beside the edit and quote links on the bottom left, do you see anything that says options?  (I have it, I don't think non-mods do but I'm not sure...)

5 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

... I don't think there is.  Beside the edit and quote links on the bottom left, do you see anything that says options?  (I have it, I don't think non-mods do but I'm not sure...)

Thanks ... obviously ***if*** the feature was ever added it would have to be only if n o response to the post has been posted ... otherwise a brain-cramp like mine could be deleted and the subsequent post then would make no sense

3 hours ago, DON said:

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Hed be a good fit.  Think a lot of teams have interest though.

Now that I am focused on the right player ... agree with Commandant ... depends how high other teams offers go ... 

Now that I am focused on the right player ... agree with Commandant ... depends how high other teams offers go ... 

Need to up our Finn content and Laine is out of question.

he is the upgrade on Byron and Lehkonen I would target for the third line with KK

I would sign him and worry about trades to comply with  the cap later

2 hours ago, DON said:

Need to up our Finn content and Laine is out of question.

Koivu would be cheaper yet!

Seriously, it would be good if we could add Granlund. Whether Bergevin wants him, whether Granlund wants to be in Montreal, and whether they can agree on money ... just a few details to be worked out!

9 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Koivu would be cheaper yet!

Seriously, it would be good if we could add Granlund. Whether Bergevin wants him, whether Granlund wants to be in Montreal, and whether they can agree on money ... just a few details to be worked out!

You sound like Ek 😂

• dlbalr locked this topic