Free Agent Day

dlbalr

8 hours ago, GHT120 said:

At the right price might be a fit with habs ... his approach seems risky to me as money may well get spent before certainty emerges

Granlund is looking to sign.  Grabner is waiting. 

Granlund is a good fit as he can play wing anywhere in the top 9, and can flip to centre if there are injuries.  I like that versatility.  

Think Granlund's on the downslope, but was really hoping the Habs would make serious try for Toffoli. We need a goal scorer like him.  With the Right side getting crowded, I am assuming that won't happen now, especially with the money thrown at Anderson. Not sure we have the cap left for him.

8 minutes ago, Pepsi said:

Think Granlund's on the downslope, but was really hoping the Habs would make serious try for Toffoli. We need a goal scorer like him.  With the Right side getting crowded, I am assuming that won't happen now, especially with the money thrown at Anderson. Not sure we have the cap left for him.

The longer Toffoli, or anyone else not named hall, waits the more money gets committed in other deals (be it big chunks or several smaller AAV pieces) ... could work with someone overbidding for their Plan B/C ... OR ... it could be a game of musical chairs with all the big comfy/plush chairs disappearing ... interesting times

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Signed with Columbus.

Kekalainen is clearly planning for another run at the cup next spring. He has six players turning UFA next summer, and another nine (!) the year after.

It surely won't be the same team two years from now. And their prospect pool is ranked dead last in the NHL. It's now or never.

1 hour ago, Pepsi said:

Granlund is 2.5 MONTHS, months, not years, older than Toffoli. 

Yup, washed up 28 year old. 

I wouldn't want to give him 7 years, especially in this Covid environment, but I'd go 3-4 easy. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Kekalainen is clearly planning for another run at the cup next spring. He has six players turning UFA next summer, and another nine (!) the year after.

It surely won't be the same team two years from now. And their prospect pool is ranked dead last in the NHL. It's now or never.

And we know that he isn't shy about going all-in at the trade deadline

Absolutely. If they are in a playoff position, he'll add a few more rentals at the deadline.

But the day when you have to pay the piper isn't all that far away now. You can't build a competitive all-UFA team. Or, at least no one has been able to do so until now!

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Absolutely. If they are in a playoff position, he'll add a few more rentals at the deadline.

But the day when you have to pay the piper isn't all that far away now. You can't build a competitive all-UFA team. Or, at least no one has been able to do so until now!

I still think Bergevin's gonna get something nice with the remaining cap space.  He's going to need to wait though, then some desperate team will dump a good contract or we will sign a UFA to 1 year 4 million, when they didn't get wht they wanted

14 hours ago, GHT120 said:

The longer Toffoli, or anyone else not named hall, waits the more money gets committed in other deals (be it big chunks or several smaller AAV pieces) ... could work with someone overbidding for their Plan B/C ... OR ... it could be a game of musical chairs with all the big comfy/plush chairs disappearing ... interesting times

I am a bit surprised that MB traded Domi for Anderson rather than pushing to sign Toffoli. But yes, with Andrerson signed there is simply no point in pursuing that particular UFA.

Toffoli is yet another asset, like Tanev or Markstrom, which Van has lost due to their ridiculous cap situation - massive millions invested in bottom-enders like Sutter, Ericksson, Baertchi, Benn, and Beagle. They really liked Toffoli, that is widely known, so losing him has to really hurt.

On the more general level, I agree that playing the waiting game is smart if you're MB. Any player who thinks this is a normal 'UFA frenzy' year is out of their minds and several of these guys playing hard--to-get may regret it in the end. Guys like Hall or Pieterangelo will be fine but the middle and lower range guys may get squeezed. So much the better if the Habs can benefit.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I am a bit surprised that MB traded Domi for Anderson rather than pushing to sign Toffoli. But yes, with Andrerson signed there is simply no point in pursuing that particular UFA.

Toffoli is yet another asset, like Tanev or Markstrom, which Van has lost due to their ridiculous cap situation - massive millions invested in bottom-enders like Sutter, Ericksson, Baertchi, Benn, and Beagle. They really liked Toffoli, that is widely known, so losing him has to really hurt.

On the more general level, I agree that playing the waiting game is smart if you're MB. Any player who thinks this is a normal 'UFA frenzy' year is out of their minds and several of these guys playing hard--to-get may regret it in the end. Guys like Hall or Pieterangelo will be fine but the middle and lower range guys may get squeezed. So much the better if the Habs can benefit.

Good points, you can't be spending $3-4 million a year on 3rd and 4th line guys like Vancouver did and not get squeezed. No rush for MB to do anything, wait and see what bargains show up. 

Hall to Buffalo? One year, 8mil. Wouldn’t that have been a good set up for us on those numbers also.? All in on this upcoming year for a run at the cup. 

another way of looking at this. This guy honestly didn’t care about setting up somewhere nice for a long run at the cup but obviously chasing the mighty dollar only. 

Just now, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

Hall to Buffalo? One year, 8mil. Wouldn’t that have been a good set up for us on those numbers also.? All in on this upcoming year for a run at the cup. 

another way of looking at this. This guy honestly didn’t care about setting up somewhere nice for a long run at the cup but obviously chasing the mighty dollar only. 

I can’t believe he picked Buffalo,I would have thought a one yr deaI with the Avs would have made the. most sense, based on his earlier comments about wanting to be in the playoffs and play for a winner.

I guess, a 1 yr deal with Buffalo gives him a chance to get the $ and seeing if they improve significantly enough to sign long term.  They have some great pieces, but have had horrible management and have an idiotic owner/wife combo.

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I guess, a 1 yr deal with Buffalo gives him a chance to get the $ and seeing if they improve significantly enough to sign long term.  They have some great pieces, but have had horrible management and have an idiotic owner/wife combo.

They also have Jack Eichel and a coach he played well for in the past.  If you're trying to quickly rebuild value, that's not a bad combo to try.

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

They also have Jack Eichel and a coach he played well for in the past.  If you're trying to quickly rebuild value, that's not a bad combo to try.

Give him credit for betting on himself ... a sub 25g/82gm season, or an extended injury, and his value drops

19 minutes ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

That's why I wasn't totally sold on him. He doesn't seem to care about wining.

Hope MB has Plan B (Dadonov, Hoffman, Toffoli, etc.) on speed dial

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Eichal and Dahlin were primarily who I was referring to and I like their coach, but it’s been management and ownership that’s been a big issue in Buffalo.  The O’Reilly trade reminded me of Corey and the carboneau and Roy trades. 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Give him credit for betting on himself ... a sub 25g/82gm season, or an extended injury, and his value drops

I don’t know if he was really betting on himself, he would have signed long term with Buffalo instead of hedging his bets with a “trial” period.

3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t know if he was really betting on himself, he would have signed long term with Buffalo instead of hedging his bets with a “trial” period.

By betting on himself I meant his ability to have a healthy, productive season that will get Buffalo (or another team) to sign him long-term for bigger money than he could get long-term this off-season ... another 16 goals in 65 games (20g/82gms) like last season and his long-term value goes down

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Renaud Lavoie reports that Montreal didn't make an offer to Hall: https://www.tvasports.ca/2020/10/11/hall-le-ch-netait-pas-dans-la-course

(Bergevin's comments on Friday suggested they were involved so saying no offer was made is mostly semantics anyway.)

Agreed ... believe MB said they were interested or watching the situation ... that means he could even have been in touch with Hall's agent, but if what Hall wanted wasn't anywhere close to what  MB would pay then why take the time to make an offer

17 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

By betting on himself I meant his ability to have a healthy, productive season that will get Buffalo (or another team) to sign him long-term for bigger money than he could get long-term this off-season ... another 16 goals in 65 games (20g/82gms) like last season and his long-term value goes down

I don’t know, I think Buffalo may have been willing to sign him long term - though it’s prudent they didn’t with the money they have tied up in Skinner.

I don’t know if he’s going to get much more next year - 2 years from now their would be a better chance, but than he’d be 31.  Next year revenues are also going to be down, so I think we’re looking at least 3 years before the cap goes up.  

• dlbalr locked this topic