Game Thread| Philadelphia vs. Canadiens | 10/25/05

Spider-Man NL

Originally posted by Peter Puck

The following quote from the game recap by Colin Pritchett exactly captures the way I feel about the Habs this year.

"Unlike recent years, there was no panic in the Habs game. No sense of hanging on for dear life, and no dread when falling behind. This new version of the Canadiens is unlike any seen in a great many years, and the resilience, to go along with plenty of skill, has put them, at least temporarily, to the top of the Northeast Division."

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

[Edited on 2005/10/26 by Peter Puck]

...yes, thats true. :/)

PS. Good night & sweet winning dreams to everyone in Habs uniform. Iťs time to sleep here in the middle of Europe :zzz::zzz:

Habs-ava-big.JPG

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just doing my usual check on the game stats and a few things jumped out at me.

Mike Komisarek's total time on ice: 5:02 :o Was he injured, or did he ###### up really badly?

Chris Higgins: 9:05 Same deal. Why isn't he getting more ice time?

Nice of Dags to get his first goal...but I hope he doesn't mind the time in the press box when Zednik gets back.

I got two questions to you guys.

How did Perezhogin managed to nail big Primeau that bad,..I mean Primeau was stunted and needed time and assistance to get back on his feet ?

What kind of a hit was that ? what it a legal hit ?

Second question.

Julian hardly used Perezhogin after that...if at all.

Do you think that Julien was expecting the Flyers to avange their Captain with Zhogin on the ice.

If yes,...do you think it was to spare Zhogin that inconfortable experience or to avoid the Flyers dictating a type of game that would have put them in the front seat ?

I just love the fact that Mike Ribeiro and Andrei Markov are Habs. I also love that John LeClair's days as a Flyer and counted. Now we have the chance to beat them.

I just wonder what will happen when we face the Preds and Perreault...

Just finished listening to a delayed broadcast... that was an interesting game. I too noticed that this year's team never gives up. There always seems to be the feeling that they can, and will, score.

Originally posted by PB

I got two questions to you guys.

How did Perezhogin managed to nail big Primeau that bad,..I mean Primeau was stunted and needed time and assistance to get back on his feet ?

What kind of a hit was that ? what it a legal hit ?

Second question.

Julian hardly used Perezhogin after that...if at all.

Do you think that Julien was expecting the Flyers to avange their Captain with Zhogin on the ice.

If yes,...do you think it was to spare Zhogin that inconfortable experience or to avoid the Flyers dictating a type of game that would have put them in the front seat ?

The hit was totally legal. It was a matter of size difference. Perezhogin's shoulder just happened to match up perfectly with Primeau's down facing chin. If Perez was a little shorter the hit would never been so bad.

I do think Perez sat most of the third for fear of retaliation. We don't need big Primeau or Brashear to knock Perez's head in.

Did anyone else think the refs were a little lax last night?

The Flyers were guilty of obstruction continually without call.

Poor Koivu was getting killed out there! The Flyers are just huge....even Komisarek looked small beside them.

I am glad to see Theo play well, he made some spectacular saves.

A Concerned Fan wrote:

Ribeiro: For two periods and a bit, Mike, while not being brutal, was not particularly great. He made some plays and moved the puck well, but he was pushed off it constantly, he loses almost all his battles, and despite knowing how to protect the puck, is unable to do it because of his lack of strength. Now, at least he has the skill so that, when it comes right down to it, he can produce. This is where Ribsy is looking good for us. As long as we can surround him with defensively aware guys, he won't kill us. And, if they have some offensive prowess, then when he does wake up, as he did, he can light it up. I remain unconvinced that he's the second line centre we can really rely on long-term. B+

I could not agree more

I just read the wrap up by A Concerned Fan. What game he was watching? I love Bulis, but last night his performance was middling when on the ice, and he cost us big time with dumb penalties. Bonk was largely responsible for the missed assignment on Richard's goal, and some indifferent play on other occasions. And Perezhogin running into Primeau was completely clean (and inadvertent) - it was certainly not a 'vicious elbow'.

I thought the Canadiens did very well to win that game. They definitely struggled at times with the size and strength of the Flyers, and seemed unable to maintain possession in the offensive zone as a result. Basically, some excellent team defence saved the day. The Flyers were unable to generate many good chances in our zone, as we were in theirs. If the Habs should have done a better job taking advantage of the fat rebounds Esche was allowing, overtime could have been avoided. (I know, we got a couple of them, but there were so many!)

BTW - Theodore looked very solid and confident. This bodes well. However, one thing I've noticed lately is that he seems to accept a goal scored before it crosses the line. On Savage's goal, he made no attempt to dive back while Savage tried to control the pass. The Vezina-era Theodore would have attempted it. Would he have stopped it? Probably not. But, he used to come up with the occasional improbable and spectacular save by never giving up on a play until it was over. Again, I think Theo played great, but this is just something I've noticed. Let me know if I'm out to lunch (I'm sure you will).

There's a limit to what a goally can do and short of throwing his stick on that one,..it was just to late.

This power play goal was a direct consequence on Bouillon leaving his position to follow the play away from the crease...a player that already had Dandeneault pressuring him......an unexpected reaction from Bouillon for shure that otherwise played a great game. Thought job being defense since a single bad play in a perfet night is enought to make your team lose.....I can imagine how goally must be felling sometime...ouch !

Primeau's hit notwithstanding, I realised last night how Perezhogin look SOLID on his two feet, Zednick like solidity....it will be great to have them both soon !

Bulis was flying again I thought and like his perfect game on saturday was taking the body in a big way......too big of course as it lead to a couple penaltys....yet if Bulis start to use his body more than what he used to...I say it will be all worthed.

[Edited on 2005/10/26 by PB]

Originally posted by Mont Royale

I just read the wrap up by A Concerned Fan.  What game he was watching?  I love Bulis, but last night his performance was middling when on the ice, and he cost us big time with dumb penalties.  Bonk was largely responsible for the missed assignment on Richard's goal, and some indifferent play on other occasions.  And Perezhogin running into Primeau was completely clean (and inadvertent) - it was certainly not a 'vicious elbow'.

I thought the Canadiens did very well to win that game.  They definitely struggled at times with the size and strength of the Flyers, and seemed unable to maintain possession in the offensive zone as a result.  Basically, some excellent team defence saved the day.  The Flyers were unable to generate many good chances in our zone, as we were in theirs.  If the Habs should have done a better job taking advantage of the fat rebounds Esche was allowing, overtime could have been avoided.  (I know, we got a couple of them, but there were so many!)

BTW - Theodore looked very solid and confident.  This bodes well.  However, one thing I've noticed lately is that he seems to accept a goal scored before it crosses the line.  On Savage's goal, he made no attempt to dive back while Savage tried to control the pass.  The Vezina-era Theodore would have attempted it.  Would he have stopped it?  Probably not.  But, he used to come up with the occasional improbable and spectacular save by never giving up on a play until it was over.  Again, I think Theo played great, but this is just something I've noticed.  Let me know if I'm out to lunch (I'm sure you will).

Hi all' I've been reading the board for some time but this is my first post. First let me say that I've been a habs fan for about 50 years and I must say I'm pretty excited with what I've seen so far this year, I hope it continues. I think Concerned Fan was watching the same game I was. Theo had no chance whatsoever of doing anything to stop Savage's goal. I also thought the offence played well and Esche was the only reason that the game went to OT, on many occasions our speed was more than the Flyers big, slow defence could handle and really wore them down as the game went on, by the OT they had little left. It's so great to see these come from behind wins, shows this team has a great deal of character and a never say die attitude:clap:

Originally posted by olematelot

Hi all' I've been reading the board for some time but this is my first post. First let me say that I've been a Habs fan for about 50 years and I must say I'm pretty excited with what I've seen so far this year, I hope it continues. I think Concerned Fan was watching the same game I was. Theo had no chance whatsoever of doing anything to stop Savage's goal. I also thought the offence played well and Esche was the only reason that the game went to OT, on many occasions our speed was more than the Flyers big, slow defence could handle and really wore them down as the game went on, by the OT they had little left. It's so great to see these come from behind wins, shows this team has a great deal of character and a never say die attitude:clap:

Hi olematelot, welcome officially to the forums! Yes it's exciting to see this team play with confidence, even when trailing from behind in the 3rd period. We have a really young team but they are anchered around really good vets like Saku, Alex and Radek. The time when the coach had to please everyone is done. No Juneau, no Perreault. We are not struck with any bad player. Julien can do what he wants with Dagenais and it shows how he is in control. Even if he's the team best scorer friend, he don't hesitate to bench him. The team is winning, the chemistry looks good. I wonder how the team will do in difficult time. We'll see its real value

Hi all' I've been reading the board for some time but this is my first post. First let me say that I've been a Habs fan for about 50 years and I must say I'm pretty excited with what I've seen so far this year, I hope it continues. I think Concerned Fan was watching the same game I was. Theo had no chance whatsoever of doing anything to stop Savage's goal. I also thought the offence played well and Esche was the only reason that the game went to OT, on many occasions our speed was more than the Flyers big, slow defence could handle and really wore them down as the game went on, by the OT they had little left. It's so great to see these come from behind wins, shows this team has a great deal of character and a never say die attitude:clap:

Welcome indeed, olematelot. I'm glad that my post inspired you to join the fun, so you could set me straight!! That needs to be done sometimes.

I agree that Theo likely would not have stopped Savage. I just think it was worth a try. I'll always remember the save he made on a Bruin (Murray?) in the playoffs a few years ago, when Theo turned the right way just as he was about to put it in the open side of the net; it helps that TSN replays it often. He may only stop 1 in 20 of these, but it's still worth the effort.

I also agree that Esche is the only reason the game went into overtime. With better rebound control on both goals, Philly would've won, 2-0. (Just stirring things up. I really don't think they deserved to win, but Esche didn't seem that good to me.)

Anyway, a win is a win, and I agree once more (I'm very agreeable, really) that character played a big role. Previous Habs teams would have folded. A promising start to what could be a surprising year.

Originally posted by Mont Royale

I just read the wrap up by A Concerned Fan.  What game he was watching?  I love Bulis, but last night his performance was middling when on the ice, and he cost us big time with dumb penalties.  Bonk was largely responsible for the missed assignment on Richard's goal, and some indifferent play on other occasions.  And Perezhogin running into Primeau was completely clean (and inadvertent) - it was certainly not a 'vicious elbow'.

I thought the Canadiens did very well to win that game.  They definitely struggled at times with the size and strength of the Flyers, and seemed unable to maintain possession in the offensive zone as a result.  Basically, some excellent team defence saved the day.  The Flyers were unable to generate many good chances in our zone, as we were in theirs.  If the Habs should have done a better job taking advantage of the fat rebounds Esche was allowing, overtime could have been avoided.  (I know, we got a couple of them, but there were so many!)

BTW - Theodore looked very solid and confident.  This bodes well.  However, one thing I've noticed lately is that he seems to accept a goal scored before it crosses the line.  On Savage's goal, he made no attempt to dive back while Savage tried to control the pass.  The Vezina-era Theodore would have attempted it.  Would he have stopped it?  Probably not.  But, he used to come up with the occasional improbable and spectacular save by never giving up on a play until it was over.  Again, I think Theo played great, but this is just something I've noticed.  Let me know if I'm out to lunch (I'm sure you will).

Welcome aboard. Glad to see posts getting new habs fans on the site. We have fun and sometimes put our foot in our mouths...well some of us do...well ok I do! :o

Esche was also lucky last night as there were a lot of shots that went right at him and he did not have to move. He played a sound game and was in position most of the time.

Montreal has to stop these one goal games as I am not that young any longer and I know watching these close wins are not good for my heart! :)

Dags quote from src.ca

« Je pense que j'ai eu trois présences (quatre en fait). C'est difficile à comprendre. » Quelque chose nous a-t-il échappé Pierre? « Non. Je ne comprends tout simplement pas. Je n'ai pas d'explication à fournir de jouer aussi peu. »

(Basic Translation - someone please correct)

"I think I played 3 shifts [actually 4]. It's hard to understand" Is Pierre missing something? "No. I simply don't understand anything at all. I can't explain what I need to do to play more."

I feel bad for the guy.