Spider-Man NL

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by PurpleHills
Originally posted by simonus

:ghg::ghg:

Habs 5, Philly 3 (first 2-goal win of the season)

:ghg::ghg:

Montreal 2 Atlanta 0..

Second 2 goal win of the season

Admins, please ignore my earlier post about this guy, obviously a horrid fellow.

Yes, you are right, I was wrong....:wall: First 2 goal win against a real team?

Originally posted by Howie_Morenz

I too am glad Mr. Leclaire is on another team. This guy got so up playing against the Habs it was just brutal for us. You knew he was going to score which was really bad for us fans. Recchi always played great against Montreal as well.

Well stated. I'm still a little worried about Gagne and Forsberg. How will Julien match up his lines against Philly?:hlogo:

i'd say foppa sees 66% bonk, 33% Koivu...

If speed is bothering him, more koivu

if he can be shut down, more bonk (not that the bonk line is devoid of speed)

BTW - Mats, that is a disgustingly hillarious avatar you got there.

Originally posted by matsnaslundsuperfan
Originally posted by Howie_Morenz

I too am glad Mr. Leclaire is on another team. This guy got so up playing against the Habs it was just brutal for us. You knew he was going to score which was really bad for us fans. Recchi always played great against Montreal as well.

Well stated. I'm still a little worried about Gagne and Forsberg. How will Julien match up his lines against Philly?:hlogo:

With the Koivu line. I don't worry about that line. The most important is to not take stupid penalities. The Forsberg line might score 3 goals.. but in the end we'll win 5-3 anyways :D :ghg:

Hey, you're welcome. I thought this was a good article to add to the preview. I'm not sure if Hitchcock is truly sincere with his comments, or if he said what he said to indirectly help get his team properly motivated to face Montreal, much like Bowman used to do to his Habs teams from the 1970's dynasty.

-Norm

Originally posted by sakiqc

An article from the Philadelphia Inquirer. Pasting it here, cause it takes a (free) subscription. Easier to read it here:

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports...ts/12989780.htm

Thanks to Norm for the link.

Originally posted by PMAC

Ah the Flyers. At last, no Recchi, No Leclair,but still Eric D.

Soon the healing will be complete and nothing would stimulate the process more than the Habs thumping Phlly.

Don't forget Turner Stevenson! We're lucky he's injured :eyes:...

Originally posted by Quebecois

At least we won't have to see John LeClair light us up like he has every year since we traded him. Looking at the numbers, in 34 games against the Habs, Leclair has scored a whopping 30 goals :o

[Edited on 25/10/05 by Quebecois]

I am a little worried about what will happen when we face the Penguins.

They now have:

1. LeClair who as Quebecois says has 30 goals in 34 games against us.

2. Lemieux who is always very good against the Habs

3. Recci

4. Crosby who I expect will be especially excited to play against the Habs.

They also have former Habs Lyle Odelein (who doesn't worry me at all) and Jocelyn Thibault.

Fortunately the Penguins have no defence this year.

http://www.canadiens.com/eng/news/redirect...newsItemID=4453

Game Preview: Canadiens vs. Flyers

MONTREAL - After Saturday night’s game, one thing is for certain when talking about the 2005-06 edition of the Canadiens: they certainly have a flair for the dramatic. For the third time in the club’s six wins, Claude Julien’s charges have waited until the final five minutes of the game to score the game-winner. And that doesn't even include Michael Ryder’s overtime winner against the Rangers on Oct. 6.

Saturday night, it was Steve Begin’s turn to play the hero against the Islanders. Promoted to the third line with Radek Bonk and Jan Bulis, the gritty center notched his third goal of the season to top the Islanders 4-3 and hand his team its second straight victory at home.

Tonight, the Canadiens welcome the Flyers for the first of four meetings between these two teams. Though longtime Canadiens nemesis John LeClair is no longer in Philadelphia, tonight’s task isn’t any easier with Bobby Clarke having signed free-agent Peter Forsberg this summer.

Winners of three straight, including a 5-2 victory over the Maple Leafs Saturday night, the Flyers will look to their past success in Montreal to extend their streak. In their last six visits to the Bell Centre, dating back to the 2001-02 campaign, Philadelphia has gone home with the two points each time; the last time the Canadiens beat the Flyers on home ice was back on April 5, 2001.

Despite the visitors’ recent success, the Canadiens hold the edge overall since the Flyers joined the NHL in 1967, posting a 62-54-30-1 record.

Unusual habits: Over the course of their respective careers, Alex Kovalev and Peter Forsberg have been known to light the lamp quite frequently. Since the start of the 2005-06 season, Kovalev has tallied twice and has assisted on eight others. Before this season, nearly 43 per cent of the Russian winger’s offensive production came in the form of goals.

“To tell you the truth, that always happens to me. Some of my best moves rarely work in my favor. I think my best move came in the Olympics and I scored. If I keep working on it, the puck will find the back of the net.”

The Flyers are in similar situation with their newest star. Still in search of his first goal of the season, Forsberg has collected 12 assists so far. Known for his excellent play-making skills, has put together a similar output against the Canadiens, with just one goal and 21 assists in 15 games.

The other rookies: With Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin arriving in the NHL, the excitement over the race to the Calder Trophy was in high gear, even before the season started. Now a few weeks in, several other names are in the mix for the league’s top rookie, including the Canadiens’ own Chris Higgins and Alexander Perezhogin and the Flyers’ Mike Richards. Perezhogin is fifth among rookie scorers with seven points while Higgins and Richards are tied for sixth in shots on goal.

Not so special teams: Ken Hitchcock’s troops have struggled on special teams this season. The Flyers are 24th in the league with a 12.7 per cent success rate on the power-play, while their penalty-killing unit is ranked 28th overall with a 76.3 per cent success rate. Despite their troubles, Mike Richards pulled off a rarity against the Leafs on Saturday, beating Ed Belfour with the Flyers at a two-man disadvantage, for the first time in nearly 14 years. The last time Philadelphia realized the feat was Dec. 5, 1991, when Terry Carkner scored against Washington.

Medical report: For a second consecutive day, Richard Zednik practiced with his teammates and said afterwards he felt no pain and hoped to make his return to the lineup Thursday in Ottawa.

4453_3.jpg

With seven points in as many games, Alexander Perezhogin ranks fifth among all new recruits.

[Edited on 2005/10/25 by Spider-Man NL]

those special teams numbers are interesting, but the PK number really jumps out at me as something that we can take advantage of.

Now, they've only played 6 games so far, so their sample sizes are a bit small, but there are some inferences to be made:

A) They had one of the worst overall special team games vs. the Rangers. Now this was their first game, but they also had problem on the PK v. the Penguins. I take away from this that they have trouble handling opposition speed.

B) Knowing that their PK is weak, Philly might be scared of taking penalties against a resurgent montreal PP, letting us throw speed at them with fewer physical consequences.

C) Our PK is strong, allowing us to screw with their momentum swings.

Overall, feeling pretty confident.

BTW - who else sees more Bulis PK breakaways?

[Edited on 10/25/2005 by simonus]

Originally posted by Dalhabs

TIme to get the TV warmed up... they are sending this one on swedish tv so Ill be watching it.

GO HABS GO!!!

... You are a lucky man! The Czech broadcaster have promised us a more than 90 transmissions from the regular season, and we have just a two matches per week at a moment :mad:! It's not fair.

But maybe we'll get NHL every night past the New Year's Day! :D

BTW, what's the Foppa and his 0+12, will be the 1st. tonite? :)

Originally posted by tommy9
Originally posted by Dalhabs

TIme to get the TV warmed up... they are sending this one on swedish tv so Ill be watching it.

GO HABS GO!!!

... You are a lucky man! The Czech broadcaster have promised us a more than 90 transmissions from the regular season, and we have just a two matches per week at a moment :mad:! It's not fair.

But maybe we'll get NHL every night past the New Year's Day! :D

BTW, what's the Foppa and his 0+12, will be the 1st. tonite? :)

Forsberg MUST be kept off the scoresheet. I did not realize he had 12 points. I bet like in colorado very few goals. I'll have to take a look but I bet it is at least 11 assists.

Must stop Forsberg... Lets hear it for BULIS!!! Two more breakaways tonight and 1 will be a GOAL!

Originally posted by Lister110

Hey Dalhabs,

Nice see you on a civilized forum

Hey lister!

Yeah... but its allways fun to go have a real trashtalk with some trolls now and then. And Linden_Fan is also on my top 3 hatelist :)