Steve Begin

PMAC

I was just thinking... poor Steve Begin, doomed to toil in obscurity for the Habs. Just think, if he were playing for the Maple Laughs, the screaming blue whinies, he'd be famous because Don Cherry would be cumming in his pants everytime that Steve was on the ice..." now that's old-time Canadian hockey!":)

Seriously though, SB was to quote Shortcat "a steal and a gift" for the Habs... and now he's even scoring goals. :king:

Originally posted by PMAC

I was just thinking... poor Steve Begin, doomed to toil in obscurity for the Habs. Just think, if he were playing for the Maple Laughs, the screaming blue whinies, he'd be famous because Don Cherry would be cumming in his pants everytime that Steve was on the ice..." now that's old-time Canadian hockey!":)

Seriously though, SB was to quote Shortcat "a steal and a gift" for the Habs... and now he's even scoring goals. :king:

Yes, I'm sure you're right about the obscurity thing when it comes to the broader league's perspective. He doesn't garner near the attention as datsyuk or anybody else from one of the bigger market/media places. :eyes:

Nevertheless, in his own 'back yard', he's a local hero, a fan favourite, one of the ones the French media often goes to for interviews after games, etc.

He's suffering no obscurity in Montreal. :D There, he's one of the kings. :king:

While I like Steve Begin, he's a great fourth line player with the potential to grab some minutes on the 3rd line, and is an absolute essential for a playoff bound team, I don't think you can mention him in the same sentence as Pavol Datsyuk, unless its to say the Begin has the assignment of shutting down datsyuk. THeres a reason the one guys makes $4 million and the other guy $680,000. Datsyuk scored highlight reel goals and will probably record a point a game. He should be more compared to Maltby or Draper.

[Edited on 2005/10/25 by kaos]

I believe that championship teams start with players like Begin. Nearly every Cup winning team I've ever seen has more than one player like Begin, and they are very important to helping their team attain the big prize.

Begin! Man you gotta love guy!

:ghg: :/)

(I brought this up before but can someone make a Begin "smiley" for HW which we could use in posts?

It should just be a happy face missing a few teeth, maybe wiith a Habs logo too, anyway you get the idea... we could use it anytime the team showed grit and heart -- which is exactly what Begin personifies for us!)

After the game last Saturday, on HNIC Cherry went out of his way to mention Begin and say how much he liked him.

Hey, easy with the comparisons to Bob Gainey. That guy was credited by the Russians with being the best hockey player of alltime, is in the hall of fame and has won numerous Stanley Cups. While Begin is a hell of a hockey player and a nice piece of the playoff puzzle, he's certainly no Bob Gainey.

[Edited on 2005/10/26 by kaos]

Originally posted by Peter Puck

Alas, here in the UAE, I can't see HNIC

Don't they have Cherry on HNIUAE?

Surely you can catch nightly highlights on Al Jazeera mixed in with highlights of suicide bombers and daily gun battles

Originally posted by Peter Puck

Alas, here in the UAE, I can't see HNIC

Don't they have Cherry on HNIUAE?

Surely you can catch nightly highlights on Al Jazeera mixed in with highlights of suicide bombers and daily gun battles

Originally posted by kaos

Hey, easy with the comparisons to Bob Gainey.  That guy was credited by the Russians with being the best hockey player of alltime, is in the hall of fame and has won numerous Stanley Cups.  While Begin is a hell of a hockey player and a nice piece of the playoff puzzle, he's certainly no Bob Gainey.

[Edited on 2005/10/26 by kaos]

I wasn't comparing him to Gainey at all. Relax,dude. All I said was that Begin's effort and determination remind me of Gainey. There is only one Bob Gainey.:hlogo: