Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Trizzak

Habs sign Tyler Toffoli

Recommended Posts

68% of right wingers in the NHL shot right handed last season.

 

14% of left wingers in the NHL shot right handed last season. 
 

From personal playing experience, it can be true that the one timer in the offensive zone, and 2 on 1 rushes can be easier on the off wing. With that being said, breakout passes as well as passes in the neutral zone are more difficult on the off wing, so I guess it can depend on your strengths and weaknesses as a player. Are you a shooter? Are you a passer?

 

Toffoli strikes me as more of a shooter and so he should be able to play off wing, especially in the offensive zone.

 

With that being said, I think he may as well play second line right wing for us. As shown on the previous page, I don’t subscribe to the notion that our right side is much stronger than our left.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has turned into a interesting conversation that I have some experience/learned about from some semi-pros/university players.

It seems largely dependent on the individual. Players with great balance, Independent hip/leg Strength, core strength and excellent edge work can constantly modify their personal position relative to the puck/play so it almost doesn’t matter where they are on the ice. This is a skill all elite players have but can vary greatly b/w players from adequate to excellent. It doesn’t matter if it means body positioning to box out/open yourself up, making/accepting passes in all three zones or unloading a vicious off-side one time a la Ovie the mechanics have to be second nature and strong.

The other side is mental, all players I know and have spoken with mentioned the additional Micro-second of time that you are less aware of your surroundings when on your off-side, simply due to blind spots that exist at all times are now coming from even more dangerous ares of the ice relative  to you. Part of what makes some excel in these situations is a comfort with heightened risk/calculated risk. Some people are slightly quicker pulling in, processing the info around them that it minimizes this threat.
 

wow sorry to rant but got excited as have had convos about this recently.

I  was lead to believe it is a great example of a player who needs strong mechanics, physical skills (puck skills), and a mental fortitude with quick processing power. The elite do this in all three zones, snipers do it offensively.

 

the little i know of toffolli lends it to see why he could do this well.

 

That leads me to wonder about lines if: Danault/Tuna/Gally trio is to remain intact.

And Drouin is given a chance to Reconnect with Suzuki since they showed chemistry and we need Drouin to produce, and if Indeed Toffoli is best option to play off side wing, he may be defaulted to playing on another line centred by KK.

If that happens I see Anderson going RW With JoDro and Suzuk. Anderson pots 20g 20a and eliminates anyone who takes a run at his line. Suz hits 60 pts, Drouin 55-60.


which leads to: Would Armia then play RW w/ KK, Toffoli on his off wing at LW to round out top 9? Tha could be a hard line to play against.

 

4th of Lehks,Evans,Byro? Also hard to play against....
 

I kinda like the looks of it, assuming the Danault line continues to be a strong line.


Loving this Toffoli acquisition.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

This has turned into a interesting conversation that I have some experience/learned about from some semi-pros/university players.

It seems largely dependent on the individual. Players with great balance, Independent hip/leg Strength, core strength and excellent edge work can constantly modify their personal position relative to the puck/play so it almost doesn’t matter where they are on the ice. This is a skill all elite players have but can vary greatly b/w players from adequate to excellent. It doesn’t matter if it means body positioning to box out/open yourself up, making/accepting passes in all three zones or unloading a vicious off-side one time a la Ovie the mechanics have to be second nature and strong.

The other side is mental, all players I know and have spoken with mentioned the additional Micro-second of time that you are less aware of your surroundings when on your off-side, simply due to blind spots that exist at all times are now coming from even more dangerous ares of the ice relative  to you. Part of what makes some excel in these situations is a comfort with heightened risk/calculated risk. Some people are slightly quicker pulling in, processing the info around them that it minimizes this threat.
 

wow sorry to rant but got excited as have had convos about this recently.

I  was lead to believe it is a great example of a player who needs strong mechanics, physical skills (puck skills), and a mental fortitude with quick processing power. The elite do this in all three zones, snipers do it offensively.

 

the little i know of toffolli lends it to see why he could do this well.

 

That leads me to wonder about lines if: Danault/Tuna/Gally trio is to remain intact.

And Drouin is given a chance to Reconnect with Suzuki since they showed chemistry and we need Drouin to produce, and if Indeed Toffoli is best option to play off side wing, he may be defaulted to playing on another line centred by KK.

If that happens I see Anderson going RW With JoDro and Suzuk. Anderson pots 20g 20a and eliminates anyone who takes a run at his line. Suz hits 60 pts, Drouin 55-60.


which leads to: Would Armia then play RW w/ KK, Toffoli on his off wing at LW to round out top 9? Tha could be a hard line to play against.

 

4th of Lehks,Evans,Byro? Also hard to play against....
 

I kinda like the looks of it, assuming the Danault line continues to be a strong line.


Loving this Toffoli acquisition.

 

 

I'd argue CJ starts with Armia on the Suzuki Drouin line to open camp and an untouched TDG line for some stability to start. Hopefully an inform KK centring Toff & Josh A coming off a dominant Finnish league stint gives us a good start. It will allows us to ice a very fast and  formidable 4th line as well, more so if Evans is able to progress from a successful introduction to NHL life. It will be interesting to see how Poehling shows up to camp?  Is he motivated?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I'd argue CJ starts with Armia on the Suzuki Drouin line to open camp and an untouched TDG line for some stability to start. Hopefully an inform KK centring Toff & Josh A coming off a dominant Finnish league stint gives us a good start. It will allows us to ice a very fast and  formidable 4th line as well, more so if Evans is able to progress from a successful introduction to NHL life. It will be interesting to see how Poehling shows up to camp?  Is he motivated?


Interesting, KK, Toffolli, Anderson could be one dominant line indeed.

All are pretty heavy players who can skate, could be terrors on opposing d.

 

Poehling intrigues me too, he went from having a pretty clear path to the the big leagues to seeming redundant. From rumours it seems he has contributed to that himself with poor conditioning, so agreed that I am also curious how he shows up. I wonder if his first game success made him think he didn’t have to put in the mandatory effort off-season?

kinda sucks as I had high hopes for him but seems we are better off without him in lineup given the recent level of depth at forward.


With the Toffoli, Anderson additions I love the top 9, assuming TDG line continues to be reliable, productive. It is like having 1A,1B,1C lines and a scary Quick fourth to boot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poehling should play 20 minutes a game in laval.  Not on the fourth line.

 

Regardless of what he does in camp.

 

Evans has done all he can in the AHL/NCaa. Poehling is younger, with a higher ceiling, and should be developed more.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Poehling should play 20 minutes a game in laval.  Not on the fourth line.

 

Regardless of what he does in camp.

 

Evans has done all he can in the AHL/NCaa. Poehling is younger, with a higher ceiling, and should be developed more.

I agree he should play lots of minutes in all situations in Laval, I don’t think that should happen regardless of how he does in camp.
As in, if he doesn’t prove he wants it by making it hard to not keep him in NHL then I don’t think he should be handed anything, even in AHL. 
 

I like Evans, agree he is likely to step up and seems to be ready for the chance. If the wingers are indeed Lehks, Byron; whomever plays centre is better off than most fourth line centres would be. So, They may end up playing more than the typical fourth line which may not end up being a big impediment to Poehling’s development, again if he surprisingly makes it impossible to send him down whether at wing or centre (of which, Centre appears to be the most likely room for him).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Poehling should play 20 minutes a game in laval.  Not on the fourth line.

 

Regardless of what he does in camp.

 

Evans has done all he can in the AHL/NCaa. Poehling is younger, with a higher ceiling, and should be developed more.

I think interest in how Poehling shows up to camp and what his motivation level is would be a fair question that we are looking to have answered. It doesn't mean we are clamoring for his imminent insertion to the line up. To rule him out though regardless of his camp is NOT the correct approach either in my opinion. MB says it best... the players will make the decisions for him.

 

You also have to take into consideration a bigger decision looming as soon as seasons end... what to do with Danault?

Money all of a sudden is tight! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

 To rule him out though regardless of his camp is NOT the correct approach either in my opinion. MB says it best... the players will make the decisions for him.

LW- Tatar, Lehkonen, Drouin, Byron

RW- Gallagher, Anderson, Toffoli, Armia

 

So Poehling aint playing wing, nor top three centre on opening night.

4th line centre is his only shot; but seems Evans is destined for that spot?

 

The forward group with the 2 new additions almost assures Poehling will be AHLer till at least injuries crop up, or Evans underwhelms. And that is a good thing i think, more AHL time wont hurt him one bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, DON said:

LW- Tatar, Lehkonen, Drouin, Byron

RW- Gallagher, Anderson, Toffoli, Armia

 

So Poehling aint playing wing, nor top three centre on opening night.

4th line centre is his only shot; but seems Evans is destined for that spot?...

 

I suspect MB will be looking for a veteran centre for the 4th line on a very, Habs-friendly contract ... just a guess ... but he likes his veterans and I maintain MB is 

 

As for Poehling on the wing ... I wouldn't completely eliminate the possibility ... if there is an AHL season I agree he should get 1C, 1st PP and 1st PK minutes (at least to start the season) to see what he's got ... but if they come to believe he isn't a NHL quality centre then see what he can do on the wing ... key is to make it clear what is expected of him and then follow through appropriately ... be the results positive or negative

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to hear a player on TT's former team support him     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...