Bergevin has done his job.... It's up to the coaching staff and players now

Habsfan89

All we can ask from a GM is to build a team that has a chance to win. For the 1st time in a long time I believe Bergevin has done that. He has finally had an off season were he has address our teams needs. It's up to the coaching staff and players now. But good job this off season Bergevin hats🎩off to you and a thank you for giving weber and price the talent around them to try and win now. Should be a fun year for habs fans.

Toffoli  / Suzuki  / Anderson 

Tatar  / Danault  / Gallagher 

Drouin  / Kotkaniemi  / Armia 

Lehkonen  / Evan  / Byron 

Should be our line up if Byron isn't traded for cap relief.

He wasnt very good on the RD last year. 

Kulak was excellent with Petry last year. 

Apparently both Romanov and Edmunson play the RD, they will both be given time there to see who is more comfortable there. According to the MB interview 

33 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

All we can ask from a GM is to build a team that has a chance to win. For the 1st time in a long time I believe Bergevin has done that. He has finally had an off season were he has address our teams needs. It's up to the coaching staff and players now. But good job this off season Bergevin hats🎩off to you and a thank you for giving weber and price the talent around them to try and win now. Should be a fun year for habs fans.

Toffoli  / Suzuki  / Anderson 

Tatar  / Danault  / Gallagher 

Drouin  / Kotkaniemi  / Armia 

Lehkonen  / Evan  / Byron 

Should be our line up if Byron isn't traded for cap relief.

I like Toffoli playing with Suzuki,  should get an absolute minimum of 25 goals playing with a guy that can pass like Suzuki.  MB has been criticized in the past for not spending to the limit for cap room, now he has and he has done it smartly,  4.25 million for Toffoli is a good deal in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Chiarot 

Romanov 

Edmundson 

Don't see a need plus no cap

Like I had said can see him trading Byron, Weal for picks to create cap space. Kulak could be someone trade also to clear up cap.

I'm thinking that Romanov will be with the habs, although a year with Bouchard would be great for his development.  Still leaves Mete and Kulak to think about.

25 minutes ago, Chris said:

I think i read somewhere Romanov was given the "wink" if he signs he stays with the big club 

He has a European Assignment Clause that he could exercise to force himself to stay up if he wanted.  Romanov don't have to do so but he has that option.

Just now, Chris said:

8 years man, 8 years 

just having fun with this rhetoric, but he has nicely recovered from the “summer of the Russian exodus” 

It remains to be seen if CJ will play a Russian, 

Ands also remember it was KM who let the kids play not CJ. 

danault will get 30 minutes a night if CJ could manage it 

27 minutes ago, huzer said:

The Habs are just a Ouellet waive to the AHL from being cap compliant. That doesn’t mean no other moves will be made, just that additional moves are not needed.

If you're using CapFriendly's numbers, that's a 12/7/2 roster.  I have a hard time thinking they're only carrying 12 forwards so if Evans is added to that group, they go back over.  Weal could be waived and demoted to bring them back under but that brings them back to 12 which means someone else has to slide into those savings to get to having that spare forward.  A 13/7/2 roster is doable but it will take a fair bit of work.

The interesting thing about this is that, with the Habs now out of cap room, it is clear that MB intends to roll the dice of three grossly inexperienced C. I still think that will turn into this group's Achilles' Heel, sooner or later. Certainly you're not going to make a deep run with only one seasoned C on your roster.

Of course, nothing prevents a further deal being made down the line, nor a deadline pickup of the Uncle Nate variety. But as it stands right now, while I really like the team, that C issue is a concern.

Nice to have a team that it's possible to be excited about...first time since Price went down in 2016.

2 hours ago, Chris said:

It remains to be seen if CJ will play a Russian, 

Ands also remember it was KM who let the kids play not CJ. 

danault will get 30 minutes a night if CJ could manage it 

Thats not true... Suzuki led forwards in ice time in the Pitts series and the changes to the lines was made  against Pitt not Philly. Yes Kirk promoted Domi up the line up... but the other line changes were mostly all made already. KIRK DID DUMP weise though thank heaven

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Nice to have a team that it's possible to be excited about...first time since Price went down in 2016.

Better yet, we now have (what should be a) competitive team, if not quite a cup contender, and we have it without having stripped our prospect cupboard bare. There is a chance that we could actually have a sustained period of competitiveness if the new signings and some of our key prospects work out. However, there are a lot of things that can go wrong yet and the wheels may yet fall off that bus. But just maybe ...

I hope that now we can move past the discussions on how bad the drafting and trades were and have discussions on what tweaks to the line up are needed for this team to win consistently

The Habs should now be measured on playoff success for the next 3-4 years

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Better yet, we now have (what should be a) competitive team, if not quite a cup contender, and we have it without having stripped our prospect cupboard bare. There is a chance that we could actually have a sustained period of competitiveness if the new signings and some of our key prospects work out. However, there are a lot of things that can go wrong yet and the wheels may yet fall off that bus. But just maybe ...

The question will be whether KK and Suzuki become the elite scorers that the Habs lack and need to be a Cup contender ... otherwise it will be difficult to add them unless Caufield becomes everything we all hope.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

The question will be whether KK and Suzuki become the elite scorers that the Habs lack and need to be a Cup contender ... otherwise it will be difficult to add them unless Caufield becomes everything we all hope.

Suzuki and Kotkaniemi don't need to be scores. I think they need to be more Playmakers.  

5 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I like Toffoli playing with Suzuki,  should get an absolute minimum of 25 goals playing with a guy that can pass like Suzuki.  MB has been criticized in the past for not spending to the limit for cap room, now he has and he has done it smartly,  4.25 million for Toffoli is a good deal in my opinion. 

Minimum 25 goals? I hope you're right. I would guess 15 to 20 of each this year after adjusting to the new team.