New players means new lines - What would you do?

8 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

Random thought popped in my head today.

Is Josh Anderson the first true power forward we’ve had since Leclair?

Think it depends on how you view Eric Cole ... he had decent size 6'02", 205 lbs ... but was not always physically dominant ... Leclair was only an inch taller but 20 pounds heavier

10 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

In my hopes and dreams I think Kotkaniemi is going to be that guy. He needs a couple of years and more muscle and would benefit greatly from Anderson on his wing 

13 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

I think you’d have to look all the way back to Joel Armia. 

25 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I think you’d have to look all the way back to Joel Armia. 

LOL ... think it is implied in the term "power forward" that they are top scorers

14 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

I think you’re right, as is mentioned prior, assuming this means physical and productive.

Armia has a better Puck protection, cycle, board game but Anderson is a whole other level of offensive skill set when it comes to ability to beat a goalie off the rush, as well as in close.
Having both on rw along with Gallagher and potentially Toffoli is a deep and balanced lineup.  Considering Dale Weisse was playing rw a couple months ago....

On 12/12/2020 at 1:49 PM, Meller93 said:

I haven't sat down and looked this up, but does any team in the league have a bottom 6 that rivals ours?

edit: On paper anyway

Tampa Bay?

On 12/12/2020 at 2:49 PM, Meller93 said:

I haven't sat down and looked this up, but does any team in the league have a bottom 6 that rivals ours?

edit: On paper anyway

as said Tampa.

also IMO: Wash, VGK (for now), Tor, Jets.

Just now, hockeyrealist said:

as said Tampa.

also IMO: Wash, VGK (for now), Tor, Jets.

I'd take our bottom 6 over Toronto.... Spezza, Thornton and Simmonds all in the same group.  They are gonna need to sit one, or have a line that gets destroyed by speed. 

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I'd take our bottom 6 over Toronto.... Spezza, Thornton and Simmonds all in the same group.  They are gonna need to sit one, or have a line that gets destroyed by speed. 

yeah, I may have gotten a little nostalgic looking at those names.

Seems support for idea that of those three, only two play per game. They do have some forward depth in the bottom six.

Mtl is a deep FW group for sure.

1 hour ago, hockeyrealist said:

Back to lines.

given the short camp/season:

Tuna-Danault-Gally

Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson

Lehks-KK-Toffoli

Byro-Evans-Armia

Chiarot-Weber

Edmundson-Petry

Romanov-Kulak

Mete

55 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I really think that we will see Toffoli on the left side. And Toffoli-Kotkaniemi-Armia would be a serious power line.

I agree about Toffoli on the left side but would but Armia with Drouin and Suzuki and let the two newbies play with KK ... that gives two lines with at least some familiarity and gives KK the best pair of wingers he has ever had ... would (IMO) have the potential to be the Habs top offensive line and be great for KK's development.

I also predict that Edmondson will start on the third pairing with Romanov as his mentor ... have read that both have also played on the right-side so I expect them to see where Romanov is most comfortable and let him play that side ... that leaves Kulak with Petry, with whom he has success in 18/19 and after a somewhat disappointing 19/20 Brett rekindled his game in the tournament beside Jeff.

4 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

Back to lines.

given the short camp/season:

Tuna-Danault-Gally

Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson

Lehks-KK-Toffoli

Byro-Evans-Armia

Chiarot-Weber

Edmundson-Petry

Romanov-Kulak

Mete

I would still put Toffoli with Suziki so that Suzuki's line and Danault's line can be a one-two punch combination on ofence.

I agree with GHT120 about Edmundson, but I wish there was a way to get Romanov to play with Weber instead. Chiarot-Petry may be very solid and that would have Edmundson playing either side with the prospects on the third pair

Won't happen, but I wish did

8 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I agree about Toffoli on the left side but would but Armia with Drouin and Suzuki and let the two newbies play with KK ... that gives two lines with at least some familiarity and gives KK the best pair of wingers he has ever had ... would (IMO) have the potential to be the Habs top offensive line and be great for KK's development.

I also predict that Edmondson will start on the third pairing with Romanov as his mentor ... have read that both have also played on the right-side so I expect them to see where Romanov is most comfortable and let him play that side ... that leaves Kulak with Petry, with whom he has success in 18/19 and after a somewhat disappointing 19/20 Brett rekindled his game in the tournament beside Jeff.

I see the logic but they didn’t bring Anderson in at that money to play bottom 6.

same for Edmundson, he will be given every chance to play top 4 given the contract and that he was told he’d be playing with Petry.

so I guess the lines I posted are what I’d like to see given what has been released/contract size.

I do like the ideas mentioned though.

1 hour ago, hockeyrealist said:

I see the logic but they didn’t bring Anderson in at that money to play bottom 6.

Most likely there will be no real difference in the amount of ice time between the second and third lines. That match-ups might be a tad easier for the third line, but I think Bergevin and Julien will be expecting a balanced attack from all three top lines.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Most likely there will be no real difference in the amount of ice time between the second and third lines. That match-ups might be a tad easier for the third line, but I think Bergevin and Julien will be expecting a balanced attack from all three top lines.

Exactly ... think top 6 and 1st/2nd/3rd lines will all be largely arbitrary designations this season.

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Exactly ... think top 6 and 1st/2nd/3rd lines will all be largely arbitrary designations this season.

I agree as far as ice time goes but as far as getting a chance to produce I see a drop off b/w 2nd and 3rd lines.

Suzuki (assuming he is 2C) should provide more opportunities for his wingers to produce. Combined with having Drouin on the 2LW is a big boost over having either Lehks or Byro as your 3LW and KK as 3C.

so if you want to place your new shiny acquisition (based on $ that is Anderson) in a place to succeed offensively you put them with Suzuki and Drouin.

ice time may not vary much between line 2/3 but quality of offensive line mates is markedly different.

so I think Anderson will be given chance to produce on second unit at least to start. Will be up to him to lock it down with production.

Given that Id put Toffoli as 3LW with KK and Armia.

fourth line Lehks-Evans-Byro

if you’re up for having wingers on their off sides.

I do agree with some recent posts on here,  that Anderson must and will play a top 6 role and Toffole must go to the left side for a more balanced winger attack. I do get excited looking at these line combos below.... 

Toffoli  - Suzuki - Anderson

Tatar - Danault - Gally 

Drouin - KK - Armia 

Lehks - Evans - Byron

Chiarot - Weber

Edmundson - Petry

Romanov - Kulak

17 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

so if you want to place your new shiny acquisition (based on $ that is Anderson) in a place to succeed offensively you put them with Suzuki and Drouin.

ice time may not vary much between line 2/3 but quality of offensive line mates is markedly different.

I don't think there is a massive difference between Suzuki and Kotkaniemi 3.0, although both are still quite young so we don't know yet how they will do this year.

And Armia's production is very close to Drouin's. So, this should really be two very effective, very balanced lines, however we shuffle them. Can they challenge Tatar-Danault-Gallagher for top production? That remains to be seen.

Like Galchenyuk,  I believe Drouin is a type of player that must play with a similar player to have success in this league. 
A player who thinks like him on the ice, who sees the opportunities and the plays develop as he sees it himself.

In my mind, this player is Suzuki, not KK.   I would definitely keep Suzuki and Drouin together to maximize Drouin's potential.

And to have these 2 make the great plays to create prime scoring chances, they will need space. 

Anderson can provide that + finish the plays as well.

But Anderson could very well be a great asset along with KK to run a kind of Hit & Grind offense with Byron (lot of speed on the wings).

I'm sticking with my page 1 lineup, but I'm not sure where I want Anderson.

Drouin - Suzuki - Anderson/Toffoli

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher

Byron - KK - Toffoli/Anderson

Lehkonen - Evans - Armia

8 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

But Anderson could very well be a great asset along with KK to run a kind of Hit & Grind offense with Byron (lot of speed on the wings).

Good thing this isn't an HWL line - Byron's hit rating would be awfully low which would limit the effectiveness of the H&G tactic...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

Like Galchenyuk,  I believe Drouin is a type of player that must play with a similar player to have success in this league. 
A player who thinks like him on the ice, who sees the opportunities and the plays develop as he sees it himself.

In my mind, this player is Suzuki, not KK.   I would definitely keep Suzuki and Drouin together to maximize Drouin's potential.

And to have these 2 make the great plays to create prime scoring chances, they will need space. 

Anderson can provide that + finish the plays as well.

I'm sticking with my page 1 lineup, but I'm not sure where I want Anderson.

Drouin - Suzuki - Anderson/Toffoli

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher

Byron - KK - Toffoli/Anderson

Lehkonen - Evans - Armia

question: despite salaries, based on recent history- don’t you think Toffoli has a higher points potential playing on the top 6 over Anderson?