New players means new lines - What would you do?

2 hours ago, DON said:

Which centres might you consider as comparable to Danault?

Brock Nelson 👌

Salary? 6 million.

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Brock Nelson 👌

Salary? 6 million.

Signed in May 2019 ... when the cap was supposed to just keep going up and up, especially with new TV contracts around the corner ... different environment

Recent, December 2020, comparable (albeit RFA) Anthony Cirelli @ $4.8 for 3 years with no state income tax

On 12/28/2020 at 10:16 PM, tomh009 said:

Given the Perry signing, I will forecast the following:

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher

Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson

Toffoli-Kotkaniemi-Armia (Toffoli being capable of LW, we believe)

Lehkonen-Evans-Perry

And I'd say that this would be a pretty balanced lineup -- I would not be concerned about any of the four lines at this point.

Given Bergevin's comments today, I'll double down on my prediction from last week.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Given Bergevin's comments today, I'll double down on my prediction from last week.

I think this lineup will work most of the time, but I would have Byron coming out of the taxi squad every few games to give old mans Perry a break

19 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Your lines are great and if we roll 4 lines then we are one of the deepest, most difficult teams out there. 

Failure would most certainly land on CJ’s head. 

we are perfectly built for this season and playoffs. 

I Expect Byron to be in and out of taxi, covering injuries and playing games where speed is worth more than power. 

On 1/2/2021 at 3:58 PM, DON said:

Which centres might you consider as comparable to Danault?

I've been through the numbers before, but his 5v5 play both in points and possession compares favourably to guys like ROR, Tavares, Couturier, Bergeron, etc.... He just doesn't have the PP points.  If those guys are getting 9 and 10 million per year, he's easily worth 6. 

8 hours ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

Intrigued to find out tomorrow where Perry will slot in.. 4th or 5th line? 

If CJ’s comments are any indication I bet Perry will find time on every line and will have tons of PP time

I expect Perry to be a regular on the 4th. 

Lehkonen - Evans - Perry

Byron

Frolik

Poehling

Mete?

I dont know if this stat means much, just surprised to see his name.

The Athletic, By Harman Dayal 

5v5 Goal Differential Since 2017-18
PLAYER

GOAL SHARE %

EXPECTED GOAL SHARE (XGF%)

60.9%
54.4%
60.1%
54.5%
59.0%
53.8%
58.5%
55.5%
57.9%
52.6%
57.7%
54.1%
57.7%
49.4%
57.0%
52.4%
56.7%
54.8%

12 hours ago, DON said:

Mete?

I dont know if this stat means much, just surprised to see his name.

The Athletic, By Harman Dayal 

5v5 Goal Differential Since 2017-18
PLAYER

GOAL SHARE %

EXPECTED GOAL SHARE (XGF%)

60.9%
54.4%
60.1%
54.5%
59.0%
53.8%
58.5%
55.5%
57.9%
52.6%
57.7%
54.1%
57.7%
49.4%
57.0%
52.4%
56.7%
54.8%

Given the "range" of players grouped together I suspect it is flawed as an evaluation tool.

This is a case where I’m gonna go old-school and stick with the eye test. Mete is a bottom-pairing guy and his upside is limited IMHO. He’s analogous to Josh Gorges in the specific sense of being a serviceable bottom-pairing guy who tends to see his minutes inflated due to talent limitations on the Habs’ blue line. Now that Romanov (and Edmunson) are in the picture, it will be interesting to see how, or whether, he hangs on.

18 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

This is a case where I’m gonna go old-school and stick with the eye test. Mete is a bottom-pairing guy and his upside is limited IMHO. He’s analogous to Josh Gorges in the specific sense of being a serviceable bottom-pairing guy who tends to see his minutes inflated due to talent limitations on the Habs’ blue line. Now that Romanov (and Edmunson) are in the picture, it will be interesting to see how, or whether, he hangs on.

I think bit underrated by many Hab fans, will be dealt sooner than later due to bit of logjam and do fine elsewhere.

I like Mete a lot. I think he mostly suffers from not realizing how good he actually is. 

I'd hate to see him figure it out later with a different team, especially with his trade value currently so low. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it has been a great start to the season and the current line-up has helped the team get moe points than anyone expected.

I am wondering if the long break and extra practice time will bring some changes to the line-up.

If I am not mistaken, Toffoli and Armia had swapped sides before Armia got injured. And Toffoli just caught fire

I am wondering if we may see Anderson sheltered a bit by moving him down. Toffoli is outplaying him and I believe he has earned a promotion:

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher

Drouin-Suzuki-Toffoli

Perry-Kotkaniemi-Anderson

Byron-Evans-Lehkonen

On D, Edmundson and Petry are playing great, better than Chiarot-Weber at the moment. I wonder how much it has to do with who they are playing against (best adversary line) and who their playing behind (Danault's line). I would swap the D pairings, to see if they improve the overall results; if that doen;t work in the next 6 games (after the Ottawa games), then I would swap Romanov  and Chiarot:

Edmundson-Petry

Chiarot-Weber

Kulak-Romanov

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Well, it has been a great start to the season and the current line-up has helped the team get moe points than anyone expected.

I am wondering if the long break and extra practice time will bring some changes to the line-up.

If I am not mistaken, Toffoli and Armia had swapped sides before Armia got injured. And Toffoli just caught fire

I am wondering if we may see Anderson sheltered a bit by moving him down. Toffoli is outplaying him and I believe he has earned a promotion:

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher

Drouin-Suzuki-Toffoli

Perry-Kotkaniemi-Anderson

Byron-Evans-Lehkonen

On D, Edmundson and Petry are playing great, better than Chiarot-Weber at the moment. I wonder how much it has to do with who they are playing against (best adversary line) and who their playing behind (Danault's line). I would swap the D pairings, to see if they improve the overall results; if that doen;t work in the next 6 games (after the Ottawa games), then I would swap Romanov  and Chiarot:

Edmundson-Petry

Chiarot-Weber

Kulak-Romanov

Earned a promotion? Why are we changing lines that are working?

Toffoli is starting to get chemistry with KK. 

The Suzuki line has been amazing.

These are new players to the team and both are getting chemistry with their linemates and its working.  Why would we tinker?

If the team is struggling, Julien will turn on the blender, but 10/12 points to start the season and zero regulation losses???  Why make changes on forward?

Anderson has cooled down and Toffoli has fought fire; and Toffoli seems to have a better 200 feet game. I think he would fit well with Suzuki.

KK needs the physical presence Armia provided. Anderson may be a good fit

40 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Anderson has cooled down and Toffoli has fought fire; and Toffoli seems to have a better 200 feet game. I think he would fit well with Suzuki.

KK needs the physical presence Armia provided. Anderson may be a good fit

Anderson literally scored on thursday and had an assist yesterday.  If cooling down is 2 points in his last 2 games... i really dont know what you expected out of him.

Meanwhile his linemates, suzuki and drouin are putting up points with him

Toffoli is gelling with KK.  And perry provides plenty of physical presence there.

You dont mess with stuff while the team is going great offensively.

38 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Anderson literally scored on thursday and had an assist yesterday.  If cooling down is 2 points in his last 2 games... i really dont know what you expected out of him.

Meanwhile his linemates, suzuki and drouin are putting up points with him

Toffoli is gelling with KK.  And perry provides plenty of physical presence there.

You dont mess with stuff while the team is going great offensively.

I would normally agree on this, but the Has are giving too many goals against and balancing defense now that we have overshot with our offense may be necessary

Calgary is going to be a tough customer and I do not think the Habs should go into those games without adjustments

19 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I would normally agree on this, but the Has are giving too many goals against and balancing defense now that we have overshot with our offense may be necessary

Calgary is going to be a tough customer and I do not think the Habs should go into those games without adjustments

Feeling grateful alfredoh2009 is NOT coaching the Habs!  Lol

Just checking, are you a closet Leaf fan?  Can't see another reason you'd want to mess with our success!