New players means new lines - What would you do?

48 minutes ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

Line up for tonight’s game 

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Drouin-Suzuki-Armia
Toffoli-Kotkaniemi-Anderson
Lehkonen-Evans-Perry

Chiarot-Weber
Edmundson-Petry
Kulak-Romanov

not to thrill about Armia on that line. 

The FW configuration doesn’t interest me much; in fact I think that Armia line could be great, especially the way Drouin is playing hot right now.  

The hypnotic fascination of the status quo on the blueline is what baffles me. The D has been a disaster, and yet it remains unchanged game after game...

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The FW configuration doesn’t interest me much; in fact I think that Armia line could be great, especially the way Drouin is playing hot right now.  

The hypnotic fascination of the status quo on the blueline is what baffles me. The D has been a disaster, and yet it remains unchanged game after game...

I’m assuming Dom is stuck for now on how well the D looked for the first 10 games this season. There was buzzing talk around the league on how Montreal was in the running for top 3-5 D core in the league. If we can get the forwards back on track with a fast tempo, aggressive offence, good solid goaltending from both price/Allen the D will follow suite. Just thinking there not ready to give up on current d parings. 

Getting forward support when transition form Defending to attacking is key to improve how the D pairs perform

if I am not mistaken the forward lines play with the D pairs this way:

1sr line - 1st pair

2nd line - 2nd pair

3rd lime - 3rd pair

4th line - 1st pair

1st line - 2nd pair 

I hope the new Kotkaniemi line helps Weber and Chiarot in the transition to attack and in getting better support

I also hope Suzuki’s line is not bogged down by Armia’s inconsistent play

Edited by alfredoh2009
My mistake, this doesn’t make sense

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

I think the bigger issue is the defence pairs 

i luv the new FW configs...

DD is really trying to build up Kotkaniemi and rightfully so if he wants to see real success. He started with serious PP time, then gave him some important faceoffs and even started the 3on3. Now coming off 3 strong games, he gives him our 2 best goalscorers not named gallagher. Its the kids chance to run with the opportunity, hopefully it sticks.

As for D, I couldnt agree more. I think both Weber and Chiarot need a break from each-other and Weber needs much need an injection of life. Who else but Romanov to provide that youthful exuberance he has been lacking all year!

Kulak Petry 

Romanov Weber

Chairot Edmundson

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Getting forward support when transition form Defending to attacking is key to improve how the D pairs perform

if I am not mistaken the forward lines play with the D pairs this way:

1sr line - 1st pair

2nd line - 2nd pair

3rd lime - 1st pair

4th line - 2nd pair

I hope the new Kotkaniemi line helps Weber and Chiarot in the transition to attack and in getting better support

I also hope Suzuki’s line is not bogged down by Armia’s inconsistent play

I don't agree with Armia assessment... so he got kris-crossed in a scissors play in OT... He hasn't been any worse than other Habs during this stretch. He Suzy and JD have shown greta chemistry already in the playoff bubble...

i think Chiarot and Weber need to be split more than any other line. Weber has not been good in particular

2 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Kulak Petry 

Romanov Weber

Chairot Edmundson

Kulak has had his struggles lately hasnt he? 

Petry-Romanov perhaps, but i think Romanov has been getting enough icetime already 17:32 and is just a rookie.

1 minute ago, DON said:

Kulak has had his struggles lately hasnt he? 

Petry-Romanov perhaps, but i think Romanov has been getting enough icetime already 17:32 and is just a rookie.

Romanov being a rookie is B*llsh*t!! There's rookies younger than him literally everywhere playing big minutes in big situations accross the NHL. Dont tell me Romanov if given more of an oppurtunity cant step up to the plate like young Dmen b4 him! And with that said you think its better to put with our #1 Dman?

You name Kulak who is playing as our 5/6 but fail to mention Weber who has underperformed more so than anyone. As well as Chairot who has look erratic at times playing with weber.

Kulak has shown over and over again with added responsibilities he's been more than suffice. Not to mention those 2 have been great together b4.

I wanna see Romanov in 3on3 and all PP situations! He and Petry should be the only dmen 3on3

Just now, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Romanov being a rookie is B*llsh*t!! There's rookies younger than him literally everywhere playing big minutes in big situations accross the NHL. Dont tell me Romanov if given more of an oppurtunity cant step up to the plate like young Dmen b4 him! And with that said you think its better to put with our #1 Dman?

There are also rookies a lot older than Romanov who is all of 21 years old.  He's coming off a season where he played fewer minutes in the KHL than he has this season while also contending with adjusting to a new team, a new league, and a language barrier that he didn't have before.  They do have to ease him in and yes, while some rookie blueliners are playing a bit more, none of them are contending with any of those other things.  These aren't factors to simply ignore either.  As I've said before, I think Romanov will eventually move up closer to the playoffs but after seeing Suzuki struggle due to fatigue down the stretch last year, they're going to not throw him to wolves and put him in every situation quickly.  I understand the temptation and maybe they can try him in one of the 2nd PP unit or 3-on-3 for now but slow and steady I believe is the right call.

3 hours ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

I’m assuming Dom is stuck for now on how well the D looked for the first 10 games this season. There was buzzing talk around the league on how Montreal was in the running for top 3-5 D core in the league. If we can get the forwards back on track with a fast tempo, aggressive offence, good solid goaltending from both price/Allen the D will follow suite. Just thinking there not ready to give up on current d parings. 

We never were even close to having the top 3-5 Defence in the league.  In our conference? Sure. Im the league?? No friggin way. It was a weakness coming in and is a still a weakness- particularly when we don’t have elite forwards, and have not even gotten close to top 3-5 in goaltending IN OUR CONFERENCE.

Up front I thought offensively we’d be a lot better than last year and despite the recent issues, I still think we are. Taffoli has been even better than I expected (even though the Vancouver games slants his numbers), Anderson’s been a lot better than I expected, but he has had trouble staying healthy - which was a concern.  Drouin has been better and a bit more consistent.  Suzuki has been a labour as what should be expected (promising with the expected ups and downs).  KK has looked good and disappointing - would have hoped for more progression, but you can’t put your hopes on a 21 year old. Tatar is what he is, on and regardless off how he does in the regular season, he’s not someone I’d want to count in the playoffs anyways. Perry is an upgrade over the marginal crap players like Weal from last year. Only real issue or big concern among the forwards is Danault - thank his he got greedy if he did indeed turn down the reported offer (which I think oils have been a gross overpayment, even if he was in a full year 50 point pace).  Gallagher could be better, and I think he would be better if he wasn’t with Danault. Offence wise we are slumping, but I think the offence is also hurt by the lousy D and Price’s play.  The offence has gone and gotten us goals like when we were down 2-0 to the Leafs,  only to see either crappy defensive play, or lousy goaltending waste the goals.  If anything, the forwards have been hurt by three things.

1) Lousy D that really does a lousy job not only defending, but doesn’t support the transition game to fully take advantage of our speed.

2) crappy goaltending.  Allen has been good, but with the D we have we are only going far, if a price is closer to MVP Price and looks more like Roy than Racicot. 
3) deployment by coaching staff.  PP and PK has sucked all year - better since DD took over, but in the OT and shoot-out, we need to deploy our best players -  Danault, Byron, Armia and Lekhonan should only be used if no one else is available.

The Defense was never good. In fact if anything, while Weber has shown his age and been average to crappy, Petry has actually been for the most part excellent. The rest of the D sucks. For the most part we have what would be bottom pairing dman on good teams (Edmondson, Chariot, Kulak, Mete).

The hope was Price would make up for the average to crappy D, but he has mostly sucked. This team and its defense was built and structured around Price - both from the ho we picked up on the D, and the amount of money we invested in Price.  

we need to either have a return to form for Price, or a serious upgrade on the D.  On offensive, we have no McDavid, Draisaitl, Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Patterson, Horvat, Scheifele, Wheeler, Gaudreau that can take over a game. Hell, I don’t think we even have a Stuzle or Tkachuk. We do have depth. There is enough depth fir us to win IF we get elite goaltending, or if we upgrade the D and at least get some consistently good goaltending.

52 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I don't agree with Armia assessment... so he got kris-crossed in a scissors play in OT... He hasn't been any worse than other Habs during this stretch. He Suzy and JD have shown greta chemistry already in the playoff bubble...

i think Chiarot and Weber need to be split more than any other line. Weber has not been good in particular

How can you argue that Armia has been consistent in the last 10 games?

He was good in the Bubble/playoffs and he was on fire at the beginning of the season, but since returning from injury has has not been consistent.

Let's hope you are right and that I am wrong for the sake of the team. Bit still, I stick by my comment

34 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

And with that said you think its better to put with our #1 Dman?

Who is the #1 d-man?

You name Kulak who is playing as our 5/6 but fail to mention Weber who has underperformed more so than anyone. As well as Chairot who has look erratic at times playing with weber.

The post simply suggested promote Kulak, but i just question that because he has seemed to be shaky lately. I dont disagree the top d-men leaders have been directly at fault for numerous goals against.

32 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

If we want to move Chiarot away from Weber for a bit Mete has played with Weber before...

*ducks for cover*

giphy.gif&ehk=pCXdVNsbrESLywt9pvmiX6BQbV

53 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

If we want to move Chiarot away from Weber for a bit Mete has played with Weber before...

*ducks for cover*

I agree that for where the D is now, Mete is the right choice for Weber 

Commandant posted this a while ago:

Mete - Weber

Kulak - Petry

Chairot - Romanov 

That is what I want for the D

I don’t get the dislike for Armia. Yes, he is sometimes where goals go to die, but he is, in fact, a prototypical third liner, and has more offensive upside than Lehkonen. I’m not saying I love the guy, but he’s a solid piece.

29 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don’t get the dislike for Armia. Yes, he is sometimes where goals go to die, but he is, in fact, a prototypical third liner, and has more offensive upside than Lehkonen. I’m not saying I love the guy, but he’s a solid piece.

He has the size and energy to win puck battles, and he has a decent wrist shot that he should use more often. He’s not at Anderson’s level but the similarities are there.

Back in Liiga, before he was drafted, he was actually considered to have the potential to be a major scoring threat. The NHL reality is not quite that, but I do think he’s a good fit for Drouin and Suzuki.

This was the first game with Ducharme forward lines. I’m looking forward to seeing how this goes.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I agree he’s a solid piece. But I’d rather play him with Danault in a shutdown role than with one of our young centres.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

he did not deserve a demotIon....

And Edmundson should stay in lineup

Well, Kulak got lots of icetime yesterday.

Yes, havent noticed any Edmundson gaffs lately like Petry-Weber have had.

Would like to see the same top three forward lines from yesterdays game vs Canucks tomorrow. 

I guess Lehkonen should be in over Evans, but like the kid also.:spamafote:

11 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I agree he’s a solid piece. But I’d rather play him with Danault in a shutdown role than with one of our young centres.

Exactly ... the issue isn't with Armia ... it is with playing him with two of the Habs better offensive players ... I would say that Montreal has 7 offensive players (Drouin, Anderson, Tartar, Toffoli, Gallagher, KK and Suzuki) ... for three scoring lines the 8th and 9th slots must be filled from amongst Danault, Armia, Byron, Lehkonen and Perry ... IMO Tartar and Gallagher have been able to drive their line and in recent years and Danault has been the beneficiary, but until last night not this season ... ***IF*** last night was in act a jump start then the Habs are only one offensive player short of three scoring lines ... Perry is perhaps the best offensive option, especially on the PP, but at his age not game-in/game-out 5-on-5 ... Caufield ***MAY*** be the answer, but only if he is legitimately ready for regular NHL action this season.

1 minute ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Not sure why we would recall either one?

Is something happening with the roster? A nagging injury?

Ducharme doing something really bold like playing these guys?

I believe the taxi squad must have at least 4 players (including one goalie) ... Hillis and Verbeek were on the taxi squad (pending their return to their juniper teams?), along with Lindgren and Frolik, but doubt the Habs ever planned to use them ... on a western trip they want useable bodies.

1) No thanks to Kulak on the top pair.

2) Armia has averaged 32 points per 82 games, whereas Anderson has average 36.5 points per 82 games. Not exactly an astonishing difference offensively.

19 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Not sure why we would recall either one?

Is something happening with the roster? A nagging injury?

Ducharme doing something really bold like playing these guys?

The taxi squad has basically been filled by no one they'd actually use when the Habs are at home.  Now, they're going out West where they're going to need to take the taxi squad with them so they'll bring players that they can actually use if someone was to get injured.